Search Unity

Can't install iOS Build Support

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by bpalumbi, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bpalumbi

bpalumbi

Hi,
    I'm trying to get a Unity project onto my iPhone. I went to Build Settings and tried to switch the project to the iOS platform, but it says there is no iOS module loaded. I opened the Unity Download Assistant and tried to download only the iOS Build Support, but I got an error.

"An error occurred while running scripts from the package “UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-5.3.4f1.pkg”."

Please tell me how I can load the iOS module. I'm trying to make a virtual reality environment in Unity, but I need to be able to get it onto my phone.

Thanks.

2. anguszhu

anguszhu

http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity...UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-5.3.2f1.pkg

unity_kRkieT1g2VLTvQ likes this.
  3. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Ahh getting the same issue here but on 5.3.4f1

I'm guessing there's something wrong with the OSX installer...

@anguszhu I don't suppose you have the direct link to UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-5.3.4f1.pkg as you've linked the one for 5.3.2f1 ?

//edit
    Doh my issue was because I have multiple versions of Unity installed & the main one I'm using is 5.3.3f1
    So it was trying to install the 5.3.4f1 iOS build support in the 5.3.3f1 app.

Check your install.log mine contained the following:

installd[291]: ./preinstall: Version: 5.3.3f1
    installd[291]: ./preinstall: Expected: 5.3.4f1
    installd[291]: ./preinstall: Unity version is not compatible with this component

It's a shame that that error doesn't bubble up to the installer GUI.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    thedrhax14 likes this.
  4. Ratboy601

Ratboy601

I can't even get the download to complete for 5.3.5.f1...

5. Pau1

Pau1

Little old now, but was failing trying to install 5.3.5f1

Turns out the Unity app has to be located in /Applications/Unity and has to be called Unity.app

To find the version number the pre install script looks specifically at
    $DSTVOLUME/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Info.plist if that files doesn't exist the installer fails without any indication as to why

idbrii, sasgil, Franksun418 and 5 others like this.
  6. Diztraido2

Diztraido2

Thank you, this helped me install the IOS Build Support successfully! I have 4 versions of Unity installed and I had to change the folder name back to "Unity" for the version I was adding the IOS Build Support. The folder name was "Unity 2017.2Of3". I name each application folder a version to identify them.

idbrii likes this.
  7. wirama

wirama

Thank you so much @Pau1 and @Diztraido2 , I faced the same problem when installing iOS and Android packages in Unity 2017.2.0f3. You guys saved me!

8. vijayv03

vijayv03

This solution worked for me. Thank you.

9. HolyManoly

HolyManoly

My file system is already set like that, and still can't install the build support..

10. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

That's it for me, I have 2 version of Unity and I renamed it....

11. quicksly

quicksly

Had the same problem with 2017.3.1f1 installed through the Unity Hub.

Hub places the files into /Unity/Hub/Editor/2017.3.1f1. So I had to move the files to /Unity/ and install the module. Afterwards copy the files back to the original folder and it works like a charm now.

Thanks folks. :)

karinarigby likes this.
  12. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

I had the same problem and was able to fix it following @quicksly method. Thanks!

13. Mike-B

Mike-B

I simply temporarily renamed the folder version I want to use "Unity" and the module installed correctly. Then renamed the folder back with the version number.

14. dmko

dmko

is this really the current solution with the Hub?!

15. Chintan-Kansagara

Chintan-Kansagara

Hi..

unity 3d how to check app installed in ios device code

Thanks!

16. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Chintan-Kansagara Can you elaborate? Are you asking if a particular Unity game is installed on your iPhone?

17. caliber_s

caliber_s

I can't believe that was necessary, but yep, that definitely worked. Running 2017.4.10f1 and I successfully got the iOS build support module installed.

18. diegodeddo

diegodeddo

If you try to install build support from inside Build Settings, it fails. But using Unity Hub's "Add Component" feature works. Go to Installs tab, find your installed Unity version, click ..., select "Add Component".

19. thedrhax14

thedrhax14

The same for me. I had to move Unity.app to Unity folder for a time and after install move back to Editor folder.

20. chrixxxtopher

chrixxxtopher

wow this still isn't fixed - I had to move my Unity.app into my Unity folder in my Applications to install the IOS module too

21. agirault

agirault

It's 2019 and it's still not fixed: could not install the UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-2018.3.0f2.pkg without placing the content of /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.3.0f2/ in /Applications/Unity

Once iOSSupport is installed in ‎⁨/⁨Applications⁩/Unity/⁨PlaybackEngines⁩, I could not load that module in Unity (did not appear in the Module Manager (Unity > Modules...), and selecting iOS in Build Settings showed "No iOS module loaded". The solution was to copy the PlackbackEngines folder inside /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2018.3.0f2/, alongside Unity.app

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  22. TomGuldin

TomGuldin

Hi all, I had the same problem installing the iOS support package until I tried installing it through Unity Hub. I went to my Installs on Hub and clicked on the three ... on the right then clicked 'add component', choose iOS Build Support and let it do it's thing. It installed iOS support and everything works fine.

23. NikhilNayak123

NikhilNayak123

Hi. I am on a Mac(Mojave) and a very similar thing is occurring. The hierarchy of folders, items, etc. is below and when I try to download the iOS module for building the game, it brings back an error saying the installation failed. Does anyone know what is happening? I have tried everything others have posted but they don't seem to work. Also, the file under Editor named "Unity" was renamed. I renamed it from the 2018.3.2f1 to Unity. I have a PC but that doesn't support Xcode as that is what I am using to build the game onto an iPhone. If anyone has a solution that fixes this problem or even lets me use the PC, that would be helpful. I do not know much about Unity so I can't really debug this myself.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.21.30 PM.png

24. cmyd

cmyd

You need a mac to build for IOS, There are some assets on the asset store that claims to build IOS apps on windows, worth a search.

25. NikhilNayak123

NikhilNayak123

Thanks @cmyd, I'll make sure to check that out.

26. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

I also got an error installing UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-2019.1.8f1.pkg which I downloaded by clicking the link in the Build window inside Unity. However in the Unity Hub 2.0.2 in the Installation Tab I can click the 3 dots and "Add modules", and add iOS from there, and it worked!

sarapas and jbuican14 like this.
  27. unity_mjL6a3uyLJKrEg

unity_mjL6a3uyLJKrEg

Wow! This one solved the issue. Thanks a lot!!

dogukandemir and UnityGoss like this.
  28. jbuican14

jbuican14

I tried and it worked by just using the Installs option under Unity Application. Thanks guys!:)

29. UnityGoss

UnityGoss

Solution!

Problem: I got an error on the final stage of installing iOS Support

Solution: Moving the content of "/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.1.10f1/" into "/Applications/Unity" then retrying the installation was successful!

Note: I then needed to move Playback Engines and Unity back into the folder named: "/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.1.10f1/" in order to be able to open the editor again, and then successfully have iOS Support installed and accessible in File > Build Settings.

Unity, if you're reading this, please do something about it. :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    shortnotion and DydjyZ like this.
  30. lukemon577

lukemon577

Just for anyone who does not know how to get to files or who really does not want to mess with it. You can install the package through the hub when you install the unity version or if your press the three dots over the version you want to add support for you can press add modules and press the ones you would like to add.
    Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 19.12.39.png Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 19.13.09.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  31. mentolatux

mentolatux

working great :)

32. Demmoboys

Demmoboys

Same

33. shortnotion

shortnotion

Legend!

34. caja1694

caja1694

Crazy how four years later this issue isn't fixed yet. Moving all files from /2018.4.19f1 to /Applications/Unity worked for me aswell though, thanks!

raz2121c likes this.
  35. raz2121c

raz2121c

Here from the next decade. I can confirm this is still an issue and this solution still works.

36. npwest00

npwest00

April, still an issue, still worked. Just had to move the files up to /Applications/Unity then back down to where they came from.

37. rahulsm56

rahulsm56

This is the solution , wonder why they cant route this via Unity Hub app when we hit "Open download page" under Build Settings.

38. AeOngDev

AeOngDev

It work for me! Thank you!!! I tried to add iOS module in Build Settings, but It give me error.

In Windows I did : copy or move "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2021.3.8f1" folder in "C:\Program Files\Unity" folder.
    upload_2023-6-14_12-17-49.png