Search Unity

Can't get Linux Standalone to run

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dansav, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dansav

dansav

I built a unity linux standalone but can't run it.
    The project is simple just a sphere and it writes a file to streamingAssets folder.

On vmware fusion linux ubuntu 15.10 it opens fine, on an aws 14.04 vm with desktop xfce installed it opens up the window size dialog but then when I choose a size it closes and no window pops up.

I tried running it from the command line and I get a few lines about mono paths, mono config path= ...Mono/etc.. and then Abort core dump. The player log has nothing in it except a line about player prefs.

I tried running it headless and it doesn't work either.

I also tried this:
    $ /home/myfolders/myproject.x86_64 -force-opengl
    which does the same thing.

I contacted unity support and they said to post on the forums.

Are there some minimum linux requirements to run unity?
    I can't seem to find any documentation about this or figure out why it's not running.

Dan

2. Tak

Tak

For glcore (the default since 5.3, or using -force-glcore), the minimum requirement is opengl 3.2 core profile support.
    For legacy gl (the default before 5.3, or using -force-opengl), the requirement has always been kind of a nebulous "you must use a vendor-supported driver."

It's very likely that the virtual driver provided by the VM vendor is insufficient.

3. dansav

dansav

Thanks for the information. Do you know how to change or check these drivers to see if they have the correct support profile? I'll start googling to see what I can find out.

4. Tak

Tak

You can use the glxinfo command (mesa-utils package on debianlikes) to check what the driver claims to support, although this won't help if the issue is just a driver bug.

5. dansav

dansav

Glxinfo gives
    Error:Unable to Open Display
    This is a standard ubuntu aws instance with xfce installed so far.

How would I install a vendor supported driver that would work?
    What about openGL do I have to install that also?

I can't seem to find any information about running a unity linux standalone on aws which is a very cool thing to be able to do if I can get it to work.

6. Tak

Tak

If glxinfo can't open the display, Unity won't be able to either.
    The vm isn't running wayland or something?

If you don't need the UI, (e.g., you just want to run a server or write some files), you could build a headless player and run it in nographics mode...

7. dansav

dansav

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it's running wayland. I need to see it working. It's an important project that Disney is interested in if it works, but they have to see it working also. Since it runs fine on an ubuntu vm in vmware fusion why doesn't it run fine on the aws instance? What kinds of things are most likely missing?

8. dansav

dansav

What other options are there for support for trying to get unity running on an aws instance. I haven't had much luck on the forums or unity answers, and a support@unity.com person told me to ask on the forums?

9. Tak

Tak

This is the first issue that needs to be resolved.

10. dansav

dansav

Could you recommend any other things to try. I'm still stuck at this first issue. Apparently there is nobody else trying to run unity3D on aws.

11. Peter_Hartmann

Peter_Hartmann

A few magic lines

ls -ldh filename
    chmod u=x filename
    ./filename

all files on the desktop, glxinfo works...

12. Peter_Hartmann

Peter_Hartmann

But does not work. A check of the log file may help:

nano root/config/unity3d/CompanyName/ProductName/Player.log