Search Unity

Can't create prefab in 5.3.x

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by 3dwebdev2, Dec 23, 2015.

1. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Animated screen captures below:

5.3.1 fail:

http://i.imgur.com/EuP9I2j.gifv

5.2.3 success:
    http://i.imgur.com/Y0xyFkf.gifv

I simplified my project into two sample fbx files and tested in 5.3.0 and the latest 5.3.1. As you can see, I can't create a prefab as I was previously able to do in prior versions of Unity (3.5 - 5.2.3). The workaround is to drag the asset into the Heirarchy window first, but our project depends on being able to create prefabs without the asset being in the hierarchy. Any clue as to why this is happening in 5.3.x? Expected fix anytime soon?

Very simple fbx assets can be downloaded from here, though this applies to all files so the files are not really needed:
    http://ge.tt/3LggHBU2/v/0

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I see what the issue is. This was an attempt to fix a different issue. I will find a way to fix this

Thanks

3. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Thank you for the quick reply, and for finding a way to fix the issue. We're anxiously waiting for your fix!

4. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Can you work around it by simply duplicating the existing prefab. Which is basically what you are doing anyway in the small video I saw.

5. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Assuming you mean selecting the prefab with the gray icon ("New Prefab" in the gif above), then going to the Edit menu and clicking Duplicate, no, that does not work around the issue.
    The duplicate has a gray icon and does not contain anything, just like the existing prefab.

6. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

No I meant select the "Animation" prefab and simply duplicate it.

Edit:
    Ah, no I see, "Animation" is a model prefab, duplicating it would still not allow you to edit it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  7. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Yeah, the "Animation" item is an actual fbx file.

EDIT:
    The animation.fbx file is just a coulple of joints (a.k.a., bones) in a simple parent/child hierarchy.

8. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Patch 5.3.1p2 was released yesterday. Did this fix make it in that?

Release notes are not always comprehensives so I'd like to ask before downloading, installing, and updating.

9. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

This has been fixed, but the fix has not yet reached a patch

10. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Did the fix make it into Patch 5.3.1p3 released today? Again, didn't see any mention of it in the release notes. Sorry for the bother, this issue is preventing us from updating our project to 5.3.x.

11. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Hi,

No the fix it still sitting in the queue

12. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

5.3.1p4 include the fix for this? If not, is there an issue number I can reference?

13. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I just checked and it is still in the queue to get merged to a patch. I don't know when that will happen

The issue number is 761995, once that appears in the release notes you will know it is fixed in the build.

14. 3dwebdev2

3dwebdev2

Ok, thanks for letting me know. As I've already mentioned, we can't use Unity 5.3+. I appreciate your fix, but we're really hurting over here without the fixed build. It's been over a month already!

15. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Sorry about that, but I fixed it and the fix is currently being backported to a 5.3 patch, I can't do more than that.