Search Unity

Can't Connect to Asset Sever on OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tr1stan, Oct 17, 2014.

1. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hey guys,

After upgrading to yosemite I can't use asset server any more. The other function of Unity all seem to be fine so far.

Could not log in to localhost
    could not connect to server: Connection refused
    Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 10733?

I have encountered the same error in osx 10.9 a few times, and resolved quickly by re-installing asset server. But reinstallation doesn't work this time.

2. heretique

heretique

Same issue here...

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same here. Reinstall didn't work. Double checked IP and forwarded settings. Can't connect within or from outside the local network.

4. tr1stan

tr1stan

Then it's an compatibility issue of yosemite and current version of asset server (2.0.1) itself. Hope Unity can post a new version for asset server that supports yosemite soon.

5. giyomu

giyomu

What unity version are you using ?

I am on yosemite too, using Unity 4.5.5 and I do not have that issue with Asset Server. ( I am using external server for it in my case , so that's only difference maybe on my case )

6. User340

User340

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you installed the asset server on the computer hosting the asset server? Or did you upgrade computer that is NOT hosting the asset server and it still doesn't work?

7. XCO

XCO

Can anyone tell me if its safe to upgrade ? :D

8. tr1stan

tr1stan

I'm using 4.5.3 version. Is your external server running yosemite too? My problem is on the server side.

9. tr1stan

tr1stan

OK let me make this clear. I'm an indie and I usually work alone. I use Unity Asset Server as a backup and code tracking system. So I used to deploy the Asset Sever on the same OSX device I use Unity editor.

The problem is when I've upgraded OSX to Yosemite the server (on Yosemite) it can't be connected any more. However I can connect to another asset server repository which is on Windows. Obviously, the problem is not on the Unity side, but the compatibility of Asset Server and Yosemite.

So caution for the community:

1. If you are running Asset server locally on OSX, and you have a large repository of existing projects, DO NOT upgrade to Yosemite. Or you will suffer a hard time to migrate the repository or waiting Unity release a new version of Asset Server.

2. If you are using Asset server remotely, you are free to upgrade to Yosemite on the OSX your Unity client is installed. After 3 days of use I find no issue with Unity and Yosemite.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

My case is similar but slightly different. Unity running on Yosemite, connecting to Asset Server on Mavericks: works fine. Decided to upgrade Asset Server Mac to Yosemite and it no longer works.

11. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hey,

Could someone please send a bug report and post the case number here?

Best wishes,
    Ugnius
    Unity QA Team

12. garrot

garrot

Same problem here.

Works perfect on Mavericks, update to Yosemite and not longer works. I try to reinstall everything but still not works.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I submitted a bug report through the editor, but didn't see a case number. (I've never submitted through there so IDK if I'm supposed to get an email or what, but I didn't). If you can look it up via email, try john@jpthomas.com

Thanks

14. Snow-Dragon

Snow-Dragon

in script "/Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer"
    comment the "if" statement will make server start.
    BUT you need start it by yourself. It won't start automatic when system startup.
    http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/yosemite-dp1-removes-systemstarter/
    Need upgrade to launchd startup.

Code (CSharp):
    1. StartService () {
    2. #    if [ "${UNITYASSETSERVER:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
    3.         chown -R $PGUSER $PGDATA $prefix/log
    4.         ConsoleMessage "Starting Unity Asset Server"
    5.         if [ "${ROTATELOGS}" = "1" ]; then
    6.             sudo -u $PGUSER sh -c "${DAEMON} -D '${PGDATA}' 2>&1| ${LOGUTIL} '${PGLOG}' ${ROTATESEC} &"
    7.             sudo -u $PGUSER sh -c "${ANNOUNCE} 2>&1| ${LOGUTIL} '${ANNOUNCE_LOG}' ${ROTATESEC} &"
    8.         else
    9.             sudo -u $PGUSER sh -c "${DAEMON} -D '${PGDATA}' &" >>$PGLOG 2>&1
    10.             sudo -u $PGUSER sh -c "${ANNOUNCE} &" >>$ANNOUNCE_LOG 2>&1
    11.         fi
    12. #    fi
    13. }

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  15. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hey,

There's no cases with john@jpthomas.com email in our database. Could you resend it?

16. tr1stan

tr1stan

That's a good solutions, for now! Thank you.

17. Migzro

Migzro

I tried Snow Dragon's answer, but could not start the server manually, can anyone explain how I can do it? Thanks.

18. garrot

garrot

Me too. How i can start server manually? thanks.

19. tr1stan

tr1stan

Just type this on terminal:
    /Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer start

20. Migzro

Migzro

thanks for the help tr1stan, I had a feeling that this was the correct way to start the asset server, and I did try it a couple of days ago.
    The terminal shows me the message that it has started, but I still can't connect from Unity itself

21. garrot

garrot

Works for me, thanks.

22. tr1stan

tr1stan

Did you modified this script "/Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer" as Snow Dragon mentioned? If yes maybe try re-install asset server. I have tested on 2 macs and they both works.

23. Migzro

Migzro

I did exactly as snow dragon said, just tried to re-install the asset server, but it keeps failing, and I can't backup it up because it is not started. I will try installing if from safe mode.

24. Migzro

Migzro

I finally got it to work, turns out there was something wrong with unity asset server folders' permission, Fixed it, reinstalled, and applied the fix, and now it is working. Thanks everybody for your help.

25. seon

seon

Can you give any details? I have tried 100x to re-install, and it fails at the end running package scripts - i've tried re-setting folder permissions, but nothing has helped.

Any extra info you cold give would be ace - thanks :)

26. Migzro

Migzro

The problem that I had was that the data folder in /Library/UnityAssetServer/data had wrong permissions. It should be set to 700
    I just typed this in the terminal:
    sudo chmod 700 /Library/UnityAssetServer/data
    I then reinstalled the asset server (which finally worked), applied the fix SnowDragon said, and it all worked.
    Hope it helps

27. aroOon

aroOon

I successfully fixed the data folder permissions, reinstalled, and commented out the "if" statements (and I'm guessing by "start it yourself" you mean executing the edited "unityAssetServer" file before trying to connect through Unity). It's still giving me the connection refused error.

28. aroOon

aroOon

Nevermind, I missed this part: /Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer start

Worked!

29. texelated

texelated

After I run the installation the first time and it fails, I am unable to change the permissions as this folder doesn't exist:

/Library/UnityAssetServer/data​

30. sc24

sc24

Well, this bug have been around since the release of Yosemite. I am surprised that Unity haven't patch it and rely on user's own "hack" to fix the issue. Come on, Asset Server is a PAID product, not free. It is the primary function of Team License! It will take less than a day to have the dev team to fix it. Please fix this ASAP.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  31. sc24

sc24

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  32. VoxelAgent

VoxelAgent

I believe I've come up with a solution for this problem.
    1. You need to edit your sudoers file so that it does not ask for a password when you switch to the unitysrv user from your normal logon.
      • To do this, run 'sudo visudo' in terminal and edit the file to add the following line:
        • yourusername ALL=(unitysrv) NOPASSWD: ALL
    2. Move the UnityAssetServer script from /Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer to /Library/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer and set the owner to 'unitysrv'
      • sudo mv /Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer /Library/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer
      • sudo chown unitysrv /Library/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer
    3. Use Automator to create an app that runs a shell script at login
      • Open Automator
      • New 'Run Shell Script' action
      • Enter the following command:
        • /Library/UnityAssetServer/UnityAssetServer start
      • Save the script as an application "LaunchUnityAssetServer.app"
      • Set the Application as a login item
        • System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items
    4. Set unitysrv user to be an admin
      • System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> unitysrv -> "Allow user to administrate..."
    That should be enough.

I also edited the UnityAssetServer script to use "sudo -u unitysrv" infront of every line... but I dont think this step is nessecary
    Code (CSharp):
    1. USER_AUTH=""
    2. if [[ $(whoami) != "unitysrv" ]]; then
    3.         USER_AUTH="sudo -u $PGUSER"
    4. fi
    6. StartService () {
    7. #    if [ "${UNITYASSETSERVER:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
    8.         $USER_AUTH chown -R $PGUSER $PGDATA $prefix/log
    9.         ConsoleMessage "Starting Unity Asset Server"
    10.         if [ "${ROTATELOGS}" = "1" ]; then
    11.             $USER_AUTH sh -c "${DAEMON} -D '${PGDATA}' 2>&1| $USER_AUTH ${LOGUTIL} '${PGLOG}' ${ROTATESEC} &"
    12.             $USER_AUTH sh -c "${ANNOUNCE} 2>&1| $USER_AUTH ${LOGUTIL} '${ANNOUNCE_LOG}' ${ROTATESEC} &"
    13.         else
    14.             $USER_AUTH sh -c "${DAEMON} -D '${PGDATA}' &" >>$PGLOG 2>&1
    15.             $USER_AUTH sh -c "${ANNOUNCE} &" >>$ANNOUNCE_LOG 2>&1
    16.         fi
    17. #    fi
    18. }

AbgaryanFX likes this.
  33. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Hi,

We have released a version of Asset Server which works under OS X 10.10. Can be downloaded from http://unity3d.com/unity/collaboration page (version number 2.0.2)

Best regards,
    Rasmus, Unity Infrastructure Team

User340 likes this.
  34. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Version number 2.0.2 still does not work in OS X Yosem
    2.0.2 still does not work for OS X Yosemite. Same issues as reported above.

35. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

On Yosemite, using both Unity v4.5.5 and v5.2.2. My Asset Server is running on my development system.

Today after a reboot after a crash couldn't restart the Asset Server. Must have worked before, because I've been on Yosemite for a number of months now and definitely restarted the Asset Server a few times since.

After reading this thread several times and reinstalling the Asset Server package (v2.0.2) twice, still no luck. One of the problems seems to be there's not even a /Library/StartupItems/UnityAssetServer/ folder on my computer.

Edit:
    Manually added the file, inserted both Snowdragon's and VoxelAgent's versions. Executed all of the steps in their lists. Ran into 'Permission denied' errors a number of times. Finally performed sudo chmod u+x operation on the file.

And now it works again! Thank you very much, everyone!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015