Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] "Cannot Submit Change to Server" error

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by RavenOfCode, Jul 22, 2016.

1. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

The error "Cannot submit change to server" keeps coming up. I restarted Unity, logged out and back in. Neither worked. I looked at a few of the other answers I found here, but nothing helped.

Here is what my editor log is showing:
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I submitted a bug report (816819).

Deleted User likes this.
  3. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Any help on this? Anyone? Even alternate solutions for sharing?

4. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi @RavenOfCode
    Thank you so much for submitting a bug!!! There seems to be a file you are trying to delete that no longer exists on the server
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/PlayerController.cs
    Here is the workaround:
    1) The user that originally deleted the file (user1) needs to create a dummy PlayerController.cs.
    2) User1 publishes the PlayerController.cs.
    3) User2 Updates.
    4) User2 Publishes the delete.

If the problem persists, please don't hesitate to reply!

I'll also respond to your bug!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  5. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I'm slightly confused, I didn't try and delete PlayerController.cs, in fact I added to it. Do I need to delete it?

Also thanks for helping me out! :)

holliebuckets likes this.
  6. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Oh! @RavenOfCode
    If you check your Collab Toolbar change list do you see it as a delete?

RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

If you see that for:
    PlayerController.cs AND
    Assets/TownHallController.cs (you seem to have just hit an error with that one)

Click the "Revert Asset" icon :) Then commit!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Thanks so much it worked! :D:D:D

Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

9. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Not exactly as there are a couple different ways to get to this point. One of they ways you can always know what the Server says you have is to Go to the Collaborate Dashboard. It is going to give you a view of your Project Folder, so it can be a bit messy to go through, but at least then you *KNOW* what the Server is looking for.

We are actively working on updating the error messages so you, as the developer, have a better idea of what went wrong.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

BUT!!! I am VERY excited you are unblocked!!!!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. petey

petey

G'day!

Hey I'm getting this same error with a new test project.
    Created a project on one machine (max OSX elCap), added a folder and New Material, then committed those changes.
    Created the project on another machine (windows 10). The initial sync works fine but when I duplicate the material (and rename it) and try to commit form the second machine I get the error :(
    The editor log shows -
    Looks like it doesn't like that material but I actually dont have a "New Material 1" in the scene, since it was renamed.
    If you like I can add you to that project and you could repro it?

Thanks,
    Pete

12. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@petey
    Similar to above, the Server doesn't have the file
    You should see a delete icon in your commit list for New Material 1
    Revert that change
    Then commit! :)

13. petey

petey

Sorry, that's still not working for me.

It's still internally looking for 'Material 1'.

Reverting this file does nothing.

P.

14. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@petey hi! I have one more troubleshooting step and then I'm going to ask you to submit a bug with your project attached (if thats possible). Here we go:
    1. Exit Unity.
    2. Navigate to:
    3. You should see a file named:
    4. Delete that file.
    5. Relaunch Unity, open your current project, and try again.
    If that doesn't work, please submit a bug and ping me the bug number. Thank you so much for working with us to get you up and running!

15. petey

petey

Yeah, still does it :(
    I'll post a bug report. It's easy to reproduce (from here).

16. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

rturyatemba likes this.
  17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm getting this randomly from time to time, but it seems to resolve itself. Can't do it repeatedly though.

The only time I did somewhat repeatedly (and I thought I had a bug, but then it started working) was when I added a ton of txt files to the project and when I pressed "publish" I was getting a confusing message ( something along the lines of : "Can't publish over 2500 files : Yes No" ) (maybe it was 5000? I am not sure). But even that resolved itself eventually.

I guess I have nothing useful to add right now :)

18. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

HI! So yes!! We allow 5000 files per commit/publish (you just have to publish again), currently. HOWEVER!!! That is changing to 10k files per commit imminently (its already pushed on the server side, but the editor message needs to be updated). If you have a project with over 10k files, just keep hitting publish till all your files are uploaded to the server! :D

RavenOfCode and AcidArrow like this.
  19. artaka

artaka

Can I delete a folder from Collaborate? I cannot submit changes because I renamed a folder from "Template" to "template". This case change prevents me from submitting. I understand that why it does that, however, the folder on Collaborate is incorrect and empty. Is there a way to delete from there or force it to rename?

20. artaka

artaka

I found a workaround by simply renaming the folder to something completely different and publishing to collaborate. Once published, I renamed the folder again to the proper name and republished it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  21. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@artaka sorry for the late response! You did exactly what my suggested work around would have been! :) Thank you for the update!!

22. Tinovdk

Tinovdk

Hello!

Just chipping in my findings here after running into the same problem. As @holliebuckets mentioned, I tried to revert the asset and then commit. That approach gave me this:

TM05.gif

Then I tried what @artaka suggested and it did commit without an error on the rename, but renaming it back and committing again gave me the same 'Cannot submit change to server' error.

Hope this helps. :)

p.s. Looking at the server side on the Collaborate dashboard it showed me what file was causing the issue. I created an empty folder located and named identical to what I earlier renamed. Then I rebooted Unity and it allowed me to properly download, remove, and commit the change and thus removing it from the server. Then I could rename the folder to the name I want.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  23. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

thank you so much for the update @Tinovdk ! I'm catching up on forums after holiday, but happy you are unblocked.

Tinovdk likes this.
  24. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

I was about to make another thread about this error. But looking at the Editor.log saved my life. And yet I found another weird stuff. I'll make a new thread regarding that.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.35.40 PM.png

25. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Nevermind the weird stuff turned out to be an unexpected file. I identified using the Editor.log shown above. That file has no commit history associated with it shown by the Collaborate dashboard and yet it existed. And it had the same name as one of the files I was to commit as a new file. There was a time Unity crashed when I tried to commit, which was probably the cause of the expected file.

Deleting the Collaborate snapshot, restart Unity and a recommit deleted that file and everything turned back to normal.

I recommend that the error message for committing should be more elaborative so that if this happens next time I don't have to dig through the log again. ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  26. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

+1 my vote too! The good news is better error messaging is coming.

Thank you for posting your solution and the update!

27. vivekmishra161993

vivekmishra161993

I also have the above issue and the weird thing is that it is only related to a single ip address. I can collab easily when I connect to a different wifi connection.

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @vivekmishra161993! Which version of Unity are you using? When connected to the WiFi connection that triggers this error for you, are you able to access all of the following sites?
    *.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com
    Do you see any errors in your Editor log when you get this error?

29. Don_NVS

Don_NVS

We're experiencing the same problem and I posted a thread on these forums but haven't had any replies yet. We also submitted a bug report (951259). Our problem is we get all the way to 100% and then we get the error can't submit changes to the server. Is anyone else having this problem and if so, have you found a solution yet. We are using Unity version 2017.1.1p1.

This problem occurs whether we are using a wired or wireless connection to our network.

30. chippwalters

chippwalters

Having the same problem. Looking for an answer...

31. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @chippwalters! Which version of Unity are you using? Have you tried any of the above workarounds? Do you see any other errors in your Console or Editor logs?

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm trying to do a first commit for a large project with 25.000 files, and it always stops at 100%.

I tried deleting the collaboration folder and the project library and it still happening

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 14.52.47.png

33. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Lars-Steenhoff! I'm sorry that you're running into issues. Do you have any assets in your project that you're trying to publish that are larger than 2GB? Have you tried using partial publish on a smaller selection of these changes to see if those succeed in uploading? (The manual page is a little out of date but the only difference is that partial publish should open the Collab Toolbar, instead of a separate window).

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The largest file in the project is about 105 megabyte.

I did get now one message that I have to update from the server, which is strange because I did not work with other person, so I don't know why there would be an update on the server.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 22.03.37.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 22.05.38.png

Also when I try to make a partial commit now its grayed out.

Something is going on, it there a way to reset all Collab settings on the server?

using unity 2017.30p1 on Mac 10.13.2

35. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

The partial publish option is grayed out when there are changes to Update from the server.

Since this was your initial commit then you could try unlinking your project and creating a new link so that you can start the upload process over. You could then try to use partial publish for your initial commit to help your commits succeed, selecting a few folders and publishing a few thousand assets at a time (preferably around 5000 assets for each commit). To create a new link for your project, you can use the steps here except instead of clicking on "I already have a Unity Project ID" just click on the Create button to make a new project. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, Partial commit seems to work better,
    there was still a red warning when I added a large folder with partial connect
    but the changes were pushed as the blue icon was removed from the folder.

Right now using source tree with gitlab gives me a more stable workflow than using collab.
    because there I can always commit all the changes without errors.

I hope this will be more stable at some point because I like using the unity integrated version / source control.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is there an actual 5000 files limit?

I'm having trouble to get the project uploaded, it's really difficult to even make the first commit.

I made a new project link and also deleted the collab folder, I still get the error many times when 100%

38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Socket: connect failed, error: Connection refused(61)
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()

what does this mean?

39. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Lars-Steenhoff We actually have a 10,000 file limit for commits but because we don't count .meta files in the file count of the toolbar it's usually shown as being around 5,000 files when you're publishing. When publishing more than that many assets, Collab will break them up into 5k batches until they are all uploaded.

Were you trying to use partial publish? How many assets were you trying to publish at a time? How long does the publish take before you get the Cannot Download Entry error?

That Socket error is unfamiliar to me. I'll keep looking for more info on that one.

40. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm uploading every folder manually with partial publish but its taking me all day or more, because after every commit unity needs to think with a beachball for some time and then I have to baby sit all the uploads. There is definitely some bug with uploading large sets of files. The automated batches does not work for me. I hope this is possible to fix, so I can use collab without pain :)

41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Here you see the error, this one was with 6000 files, but It should have automatically cut them up in batches right?

42. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Another thing, when I try to cancel an upload it just stuck and the cancel is greyed out.
    And I have to restart unity to get it back to normal.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 15.13.43.png

43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And here an upload succes with a small set of files followed by an unsuccessful upload with less than 5000 files. ( 1200 )

44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Just wanted to let you know that with all the partial commits I did I finally have my project on collab !
    I posted the problems here so that unity can see that it's not yet seamless, but I'm going forward to use it.
    :cool:

45. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad to hear that you were finally able to upload your project to Collab! I'm sorry that it was such a painful process. Would you be willing to share your project with us so that we could use it to for testing? There may be something about your particular collection of assets that Collab isn't handling very well and having a copy of your project would help us to rule that out. It's totally your call, but if you'd like to go that route then you can DM me your project's UPID and written permission to make a copy of your project.

In the meantime, we'll continue working to improve the process of uploading a large number of assets. Thank you so much for all your feedback and if you have any more questions or concerns please don't hesitate to let us know.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  46. mradfo21

mradfo21

I'm hitting this as well. Collaborates lack of specificity here is disappointing. I'd love it to post errors other than "Cannot work"

47. mradfo21

mradfo21

gotta love the editor log..

completely useless.

I even made a new project on collaborate just for this. Why am i paying for this!?

[Collab 2018-0405 20:00:24 GMT][Error] 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in 'C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/Requests/UploadRequests.cpp' at line 151
    [Collab 2018-0405 20:00:24 GMT] UploadEntryRequest failed, Reason: 400 Url: https://unitycloud-collab-store-pro...c463f82efc733c4a5956098e659534406c3af2c9c5fb2 Result: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Error><Code>BadRequest</Code><Message>An error occurred when parsing the HTTP request.</Message><RequestId>11B92148B953DB92</RequestId><HostId>9A5X087zlPmHrnTJ6cRXcJFRbbP8UwGxeHz6eEtd2Lt/93dd1r0L8HE8sQtZ+gIy8JuC3l/R/RDQnltJf1VDfdLSNn1YeTDb</HostId></Error>
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.082159 seconds (Nothing changed)
    <RI> Initialized touch support.
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.082253 seconds (Nothing changed)
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.081481 seconds (Nothing changed)
    [Collab 2018-0405 20:09:02 GMT][Error] 'Cannot submit change to server' (23) returned in 'C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/Jobs/CollabPublishAsyncJob.cpp' at line 392
    UPID Received '2077d7a2-463c-4b9b-95a9-f77c9da69fed'.
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.078427 seconds (Nothing changed)

48. mradfo21

mradfo21

found out the problem was because I had a substance painter file in the unity project. COMON! why can't i do that!?

ina likes this.
  49. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @mradfo21! That's strange that you were having such difficulty uploading a Substance material. It'd be great if you could submit a ticket with our Support team so that we can help figure out what went wrong and see if there's a bug with how we're handling those materials. I'll keep investigating on my end, but any help from someone that has experience using Substance would really help.

50. mradfo21

mradfo21

I got around it.. my suspicion is that the file was 10 gb. Perhaps thats too large for a single file?