Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot run from visual studio or pass WACK but app runs fine.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Brickit, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Brickit

Brickit

Hi,
    Having same problem with unity 4.5.5 and unity 4.5.4

I am getting the following errors:

This is what i get from a C++ build just after it starts up.
    Unhandled exception at 0x5F04326C (msvcr110.dll) in New Unity Project.exe: Fatal program exit requested.

This is what i get if i try a C# build just after it starts up:
    An Unhandled exception occured in Template.exe [540]

The odd part is even though it says fatal exception it carries on running fine (the app does not crash!!!) However VS clearly thinks it has and so does WACK (although it passes everything else, but says it crashed even though it has not). If i click on the icon from the start menu it also runs fine.

This is definetly a Unity or VS problem because i have tried it with a new project and simple scene, no code at all from our end and i get the -EXACT- same errors. The project has already been released once and it passed WACK fine last time so something has changed. We DESPARATELY need to issue an update to our app.

Please any help would be very welcome.

Dan.

PS: using latest visual studio, latest unity, latest winSDK/Wack and windows 8.1

2. guavaman

guavaman

I think something may be broken in the latest Unity releases. I have been consistently doing test builds with 8.0, but not 8.1 I just tried a super super simple project in 8.1 and also saw a crash reported in WACK testing. Is this the same crash you're getting?

Unity 4.5.5

Just tried 8.0 and still got one of the 2 same failures.

Going to test again with 4.3 because I have been doing most of my development there with no issues.

Update: Failed 8.1 build on Unity 4.3
    Update 2: Failed 8.0 build on Unity 4.3 ... What? These clearly worked days ago. Could WACK have changed? Time for a reboot and try again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Brickit likes this.
  3. guavaman

guavaman

Okay, I'm baffled. Every single test I do with 4.3 or 4.5.5 fails to pass WACK for the same D3D errors on 8.0 and 8.1. I have consistently been doing WACK tests for the past 2 months with nothing but successes on both 4.3 and 4.5.2. I've tried disabling all anti-virus tools as well. I've tried making new projects in both 4.3 and 4.5.5, every time they fail. I'm going to have to guess some portion of the WACK test is web based and MS updated it silently...

Edit: Okay, this is odd. My old project passes fine. New projects do not...
    Edit 2: Old project pass all tests in 8.0 and 8.1 in both Unity 4.3 and 4.5.5. But when I export the project to a Unitypackage and import that in a new project, total failure.
    Edit 3: Tried copying every project setting I could find from working old project to new project with no results.
    Edit 4: Even copying the entire ProjectSettings folder didn't help.

4. Brickit

Brickit

No it fails immediately after loading you see the splashscreen in C# and C++ (with the errors i mention above) for a half a second then it crashes. I try and attach the debugger but it thinks it has died and cannot attach (despite it still running) so cannot really get any more details than that..

It passes all other wack tests except it says it crashes when it does not.

5. Brickit

Brickit

Has anyone at Unity been able to confirm this yes? We are getting a little desparate now.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

we have not been able to reproduce this. Does this only happen locally, or when submitted to Microsoft certification as well?

7. Brickit

Brickit

Only tried it locally so far, i figured if it does not pass wack here it won't when i submit it. but can try it.
    This is with as i say on unity 4.5.4 and 4.5.5 with the latest VS.