Search Unity

Cannot 'install' unity player on Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Draagonblitz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

Google chrome doesn't, and will not run unity. I have installed it many times, and uninstalled it, and deleted cookies etc. but it's like unity isn't even there. Games tell me to install the plugin, even though it is installed. I believe this is a problem with chrome, because i have safari and it works just fine on there. It just seems chrome doesn't want to run the unity plugin. I used to have this problem before, but i was able to fix it by installing unity again (took about 5 secs so it wasn't a bother) but this time, to no avail.
    I mainly use chrome for surfing and i don't want to change to safari every time i want to run a unity application, so hopefully somebody can help me. :(

2. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

unity.png
    Pic. This thing just wont go away no matter how many times i install unity...

3. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Do Chrome need you to enable the Unity plugin? Google are moving towards blocking plugins made using the APIs that Unity uses (NPAPI).

5. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

Sorry for the late reply, but well, apparently all my plugins should be 'Run automatically', so flash and other website plugins happen to work... only unity is having problems. I tried uninstalling chrome and installing unity again, but that didn't help either. Are there any other causes for this?? :(

6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, what OS and what version of Chrome do you have? What is the game you are trying to play?

7. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

Everything which requires unity doesn't work, and on the unity site the version checker says i dont have it installed... and i downloaded the most recent version of chrome (i think) which is version 40.0.2214.93. Also i am running on windows 7, i never used to have this problem before. I would say it was fine about 2 months ago.

8. tla

tla

If you're running on the Dev Channel, they've just moved to version 42 which will, as announced, disable NPAPI support for plugins.

You can enable it again in chrome://flags

vargata likes this.
  9. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

Can you give me a hint on which options to enable? I'm not too great with technical jargon...

10. tla

tla

Just search for NPAPI, alternatively use this link instead: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

vargata likes this.
  11. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

Sorry, the main reason i replied is because i can't find anything that has something to do with NPAPI :( I tried CTRL-F and couldn't find any results, and have pasted your link in the URL seracher and it just redirected me to the /flags screen. It hasn't worked... unity programs still think i don't have unity installed... :(:(

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I have Chrome 40.0.2214.94 running on a Mac. When I visited:

http://files.unity3d.com/graham/webp.html

I needed to right click and tell Chrome to run the web player. But it ran after that just fine. I have the 4.6.2f1 development web player build installed.

13. Draagonblitz

Draagonblitz

I just have a button telling me to "Install now"... installed it again, but the button doesn't go away. Right click doesn't do anything...

14. Joywoni

Joywoni

it doesn't work on 4.6.3f1.
    How do i do?

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

W
    Does for me. I had to tell Chrome that the plugin had to be run. This is with Chrome 41. When I hit the link, I get a message telling me that "Unity player needs your permission to run" and there is a red-crossed jigsaw puzzle piece to the right of the URL address bar. Clicking that brings up a drop down that gives me a "Run all plugins this time" option. These are Google Chrome issues.

16. kscho

kscho

hi graham, I know the red-crossed jigsaw thing you talked about, but it's not the case with the new webplayer. there is no jigsaw icon for us to click. It keeps asking us to install again and again.

Chrome: 42.0.2311.50 beta-m (64-bit)
    Unity: 5.0.0f4

17. LaneFox

LaneFox

4.5.5f1... works fine for me.

Have you tried uninstalling the web player entirely, then reinstalling?

18. kscho

kscho

yes I did. I uninstalled both the normal version and the 64-bit version and did a clean installation. Same thing. This issue is repeatable on my laptop, which is also running Win 8.1 and the latest 64-bit Chrome.

Thankfully I can still run on IE. However, Chrome is my primary browser, so I hope the issue gets fixed soon.

19. tla

tla

There's nothing to fix, Google disabled NPAPI in Chrome 42, you will need to re-enable NPAPI support in chrome://flags as I wrote above.

vargata and kscho like this.
  20. kscho

kscho

thank you, tla, for the reminder.

21. vargata

vargata

thanks a lot for this post, saved my day. I just write this to make ppl aware this can really solve this problem.
    Thanks again

22. kevzpeter

kevzpeter

Thank you so much you guys ! I've been trying to solve this problem for the past 2 weeks and this is THE ONE that solved it ! Just enabling the NPAPI thingy under chrome://flags/ has now enabled me to install Unity without any problems. Love you all <3