Search Unity

Can Unity duplicate the look of Stingray's Subway example, including the real time reflections?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by billcousert, Aug 13, 2016.

1. billcousert

billcousert

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sure. (it looks to me like SSRR with cubemap fallback, which is totally possible with Unity)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. mgear

mgear

Had to try it.. using only unity primitives, random substance materials and cinematic image effects :)

upload_2016-8-14_3-36-36.png

* video:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    pottering, Adam-Bailey and rigidbuddy like this.
  4. billcousert

billcousert

Thanks!

Looks like the reflections aren't quite there yet. Could this be improved with third party plugins? Is this going to be a part of Unity 6?

5. billcousert

billcousert

One huge advantage with Unity - the columns aren't warped.

Did you create this from scratch? Autodesk has the assets for this project available for download.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Why?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I guess that's because the stingray demo does look better.. :p but they probably spent way more time than mgear did for this test :p . Also they have baked lights in that scene

8. billcousert

billcousert

I think mgear did a great job.

9. mgear

mgear

pottering likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

The problem whit that adam demo is that its not made by a public unity version yet. We don't know what tools they use, and what effects etc they have available, I did read somewhere, cant find it now, so might be bogus, that some of the graphical niceness was made by a third party developer, and that it would not be released in a unity build(volumetric light/fog). Witch is a bit wrong if you ask me, to showcase a engine, with a in-house team, not using whats public/going public. One can only look back at the blacksmith demo......lots of the tech used there never got into unity, and ended up as
    abandoned assets on the assetstore.

11. mgear

mgear

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Aha, okay, yes would be nice to know what will be released!
    Yes, you do have lots of amazing things on the asset store! The only problem with some of them is no requirement to upgrade for future unity versions, multiple platforms etc. But the Volumetic light you linked there is a great example of an active developer, witch is doing really cool things!

13. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Inspired by the effort of mgear I did a test chucking some of the Subway assets directly into Unity. Haven't rebuilt the entire scene but this is pretty much just straight into the Unity (only work I did was inverting the roughness maps) with a 2 minute application of post processing effects.

Attached Files:

pottering, billcousert and mgear like this.
  14. billcousert

billcousert

Thanks!