Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use Android SDK as a Java IDE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WalkingDead, Feb 9, 2016.

1. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

I am having lots of trouble with Java in Visual Studio 2015. Seems it does not officially support Java I didn't know this. I read not to use Eclipse and that I would be better off using bluestacks and android SDK

Let me know if this would be feasible.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Your title doesn't make much sense... two of these things are applications for editing code, the other is a code library.

Do you mean Android Studio?

You should jump ship to c# in all honesty. There is zero benefit from coding in Unity script. Its bespoke to Unity, making it pretty useless outside of Unity.

ps. Ive heard Android Studio is WAY better than eclipse. Ive only played in eclipse which wasnt amazing

3. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

Hi sorry about the mix up yes I meant Android Studio vs Eclipse vs intelliJ idea from jetbeans the free version. I am learning JAVA and so I need an IDE but I wanna pick one that I would use for the rest of my life and be familiar with it. Visual Studio does not have proper support for Java.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Are we talking about java, or Unity java script, because they aint the same.

5. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

Hey I am just talking about Java and Javascript. Nothing to do with Unity.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

ok, I would go with Android Studio. Ive heard its the better one... but I have no personal experience.

7. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

Thanks I downloaded it I will try it out. I have both Andriod Studio and intelliJ idea from jetbeans so I will try out both of them.

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

I'd advise against this mentality. As a developer, you have a nearly unlimited set of tools at your disposal, some of which will be more appropriate for a given task than others. IDEs may differ in specifics, but the functionality is generally the same, and many can be customized to your preference. So if you end up liking the shortcuts of one, you can change your key bindings in others to match.

Don't limit yourself to one IDE, or one language, or one game engine that you believe is "best". Doing so limits your perspective to only the viewpoints that fit within your chosen domain.

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. WalkingDead

WalkingDead

Aah interesting, will note this. I have downloaded 3 IDE now so I shall play around with all 3.