Search Unity

Can I start developing in free and continue to develop and publish in pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lana L., Jan 24, 2015.

1. Lana L.

Lana L.

Hi Unity Community --

Let me give you a little background: I'm currently a student. I've been playing around with Unity in my free time and I'd like to start working on a game. There are features that I'd eventually like to use that are only available in the pro version. I want to upgrade eventually, but I don't have the extra cash now. I'm working on that one. :p

I am trying to figure out if it would be ok to start developing in the free version, then bring my project to the pro version for the additional features when I can afford to upgrade. Would it still be legal to publish and sell my game? All I could find was info about companies using free and pro versions at the same time/needing to have pro versions for all of their developers. :/ I emailed support but just got some stock reply about buying it at a discount at Studica or something. I figure you guys might be able to help me out a little better. :)

Thanks!

2. Marble

Marble

Yep. This is why Unity publish a free version in the first place.

3. Lana L.

Lana L.

Nice! I figured they would have some sort of issue with moving a free project over to pro later on. Well, glad to hear that's not the case.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Totally legit strategy. I'd actually recommend most people do it this way. The whole point of free is a try before you buy model.

Also worth noting that until you make bucket loads of cash you never actually have to go pro. You can quite happily go on publishing games in free. You will need a day job to eat with this approach.

5. 00christian00

00christian00

Can you have ads and iap with Unity Free? It seem to me that all of the ads sdk are native plugin, not sure about iap but probably same.

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

Plugins work without pro in mobile platforms.

7. 00christian00

00christian00

Uh? Is it something new? I remember they were a pro feature for mobile.

8. Ostwind

Ostwind

Nope, never been on mobile since you couldn't do nearly any platform features without them. On desktop it's always been a pro only feature.

00christian00 likes this.