Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can i make high quality game only using Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziya, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ziya

Ziya

Can i create all those complex models and sounds using programming in Unity?
    I mean, can i create good games only with Unity without knowing other programs?

2. darkhog

darkhog

No. You have to learn Blender or other 3D software. Otherwise you're limited to models made by other people.

carking1996 and Ziya like this.
  3. Ziya

Ziya

And even programming can not create models in Unity?
    So, what can programming do that Unity can not do?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Do you even know what programming is about? yes its possible to create models via code but don't expect your high quality models with it unless you spends months per model.

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's totally possible to do something with just unity if that at least includes mono or an IDE of choice. Code can be used to generate models and you can make them look good if you put in enough time and also know how to program shaders. I think making textures from code would be harder than making models out of code.

But, that being said, if your question is rephrased as, "Can I make high quality game only using unity and free software / not paying for assets?" then the answer is definitely. Blender is free, Gimp is free.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Can it be done? Yes. Procedural generation is a large part of how those in the demoscene produce their extremely small demos. Kkreiger, for example, is a 96KB first-person shooter.

Can you do it? Based on your other threads, I'd say no. Those in the demoscene are highly skilled in their fields. Some groups even build their own specialized engines from scratch with complete IDEs to better enable them to produce their demos. Werkkzeug, the engine used to make Kkreiger, is a good example and freely available.

Ony likes this.
  7. Ziya

Ziya

Thank you for answers, you really make plain my vague thoughts.

Programming does everything from scratch, a game engine like Unity has cool features and you can do everything from scratch too.
    So, why do people choose programming over Unity?
    What can programming do that Unity can not do?
    I was always thinking about it, but never understood.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't think you understand what Unity is. It is a platform for creating games or other graphical applications. You will need to know programming to put it to full use. Likewise you will need some way of obtaining assets, whether by programming your own extensions for Unity to generate them or by using external tools to make them.

9. Ziya

Ziya

Unity is not really made for that, but it can.
    As i said programming is from scratch, Unity has additions, why to choose programming?

For example, i made a Tic Tac Toe game on C#, if i make it on Unity, it takes the same time, but i have gravity and destruction and so on if i make it on Unity.

I am missing something, i know, what do i miss?

10. HemiMG

HemiMG

Programming and Unity are not mutually exclusive. You have to program to use Unity. Unity simply does a lot of the underlying stuff for you. Programming also very rarely replaces artwork created in other tools. When I say very rarely, I mean almost never. Nobody is going to hand code the vertex data for a character model or a car or whatever. The same goes for textures. Procedural textures are a thing, but they are almost always created using graphical tools except in the most simple of cases. Writing your own code for procedurally generating textures to make a game is overkill and requires years of programming experience for anything but simple patterns.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're not merely missing something, you're completely wrong. You need to know programming to use Unity.

12. Ziya

Ziya

I know all of that, i mean it is better to learn programming and then to code in Unity, what is wrong with that?
    I can make a business app in C# Windows Forms.
    I can make a business app in Unity3D.
    In the both cases i start from scratch and in the second one i get additions and great features of Unity.
    So why to choose first one?

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Coding in Unity is programming. C# is one of the languages that Unity supports and is generally recommended.

14. Ziya

Ziya

So i say, why to choose C# Windows Forms or WPF to code from scratch if i can the same thing from scratch in Unity and get additions and great features?

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, that's not what you've been saying. Unless you count going back and modifying every single post to make it appear like you've been asking that all along.

16. Ziya

Ziya

Ok, good, i am glad you got it, now please help me to understand it. Thank you.
    So?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  17. Dantus

Dantus

About which kind of application are you talking?
    WPF was not created for games and Unity was not created for business applications. There is no best solution for everything. It always depends on what you want to create, what the requirements are, for which platforms it is, ...

18. coldfire 1993

coldfire 1993

Hey Guys. Unity is a game engine. That means you need to know code to use it(code is the most important part). Its different from creating a game from scratch cause has a lot of cool functions. To create a game in it u need a 3d SOFTWARE (i use blender), otherwise as darkhog said you are going to be limited . Hope this helps

19. Ziya

Ziya

Ok, if i only wanna make games from scratch, it is better to learn C# Unity than C# WPF?
    I don't want to use Blender or 3d party software, i wanna make simple games from scratch.
    Is it good for me to learn Unity3D?

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unless you're intending to buy all your assets, you'll need to learn to use additional tools.

21. Ziya

Ziya

No, i wanna do everything from scratch, i don't make a big game or complex models and don't buy assets, i make a small Tic Tac Toe, is it good to choose C# Unity3D?

22. Dantus

Dantus

There is no C# Unity or C# WPF. There is the just the programming language C#. Unity is using C# and allows you to create scripts with it. The same is true for Visual Studio, which allows you to code using C# and e.g. to further make use of WPF.
    If you want to make games, Unity is clearly the better choice.

Unity will simplify lots of things for you, such that you don't have to make everything from scratch. E.g. you don't have to create a render engine, because Unity already has all that for different platforms, just like it comes with an integrated physics engine, an integrated UI, and integrated audio engine, ... . That's the actual strength of game engines that you don't have to implement all those things.

23. Ziya

Ziya

Ok, i got it.

24. Aishiteru

Aishiteru

Wtf mind explosion xD

Ony likes this.
  25. cl9-2

cl9-2

Unity has a very good set of primitives (cubes, spheres, planes, boxes, etc) that you can start with. Or you can use procedural mesh generation. Audio can also be generated procedurally, here is a free asset that can do this.

26. Ziya

Ziya

Thank you!!!

27. Dantus

Dantus

I just had a look at your previous posts in the forum and based on them I would suggest you to simply learn Unity. Play around with it, make experiments. Then if you have more specific questions, come to the forum and ask them.

Ony likes this.
  28. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I think tic tac toe is a good start. That's how I learn new languages lol. Tic tac toe in C causes a memory leak somehow... I wasn't using pointers, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

29. Dantus

Dantus

I am not saying that this is not a good start. What I mean is that it is necessary to get started, especially if there is almost no previous experience.

30. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

You would code from scratch if you want lightweight app/codebase and more control over your codebase. Depending on the project, this might require being really good at programming.
    For dozens of other reasons there's game engines. Main reasons being easy of use and not wasting time reinventing the wheel. If you just want to code game logic this is best place to start.
    As for modeling in unity, you can use unity primitives or use an asset. For textures there's a ton of free and paid on the web.

31. HemiMG

HemiMG

Is your goal to make a tic tac toe game and then stop? Because if it is, Unity is overkill. If it isn't, if you want to learn how to use Unity with the goal of later producing more complex games, then you are better off making some super simple graphics for the board and the Xs and Os in whatever free program you can find. It doesn't have to look great, but you will need to know how to import assets into Unity if you want to do anything much more advanced than tic tac toe.

32. drewradley

drewradley

If you have to ask...

33. ostrich160

ostrich160

No you dont. You can use those in-engine modelling assets, you could even use the basic primitives. for a high quality game, its possible, but would take so much longer than need be

But its possible!

34. Hades II

Hades II

It can be done but you should be a veteran in programming.. It's better if you use blender 3d it's free

35. Tyzar Zither

Tyzar Zither

Mind Explosion, Mind War!! The simple is unity can make low,mid, and high quality game. To perform that..u can use C# or JS for programming section(script). Build your own model 3d or 2d with 3rd party software then import it to unity or...make it in unity directly. U can improve your Tic Tac Toe to awesome game...if u use this engine very well. :)

36. MetalSutton

MetalSutton

Sorry to dig this up, but just reading over the OP's comments, I think the greatest confusion came from a sudden change in pace of his requirements:

These comments:
    Can i make high quality game only using Unity?
    Can i create all those complex models and sounds using programming in Unity?

Turned to:
    i wanna make simple games from scratch.
    i don't make a big game or complex models and don't buy assets, i make a small Tic Tac Toe

Conclusion: The guy doesn't know what he wants because he's not diving in head first to explore, instead of sitting on the edge waiting for other peoples confirmation that he himself can make something great. This is an all to common problem when it comes to gamedev.

Ryiah likes this.
  37. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The answer is yes, but you'll have to use third party tools within unity or do various programming. You could create an entirely procedurally generated game from script with no other models or assets.