Search Unity

Can I make a dating app with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zigglr, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zigglr

zigglr

I have a great idea for a mobile dating app, and I know someone who will be able to get me a lot of users for it. However, I don't know Objective C, only c# and Photon Networking in Unity. So can I make this app C# and Photon? Thanks

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

Id say using PHP and database systems would be more friendly than using Unity and Photon.
    Or make an app interact with PHP, but I still wouldn't recommend using Photon to do that.

3. goat

goat

Using the carbon-14 method?

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yes, you can use Unity to build a mobile dating app. You probably won't want to use Photon, though. You will want to set up a web service (in PHP that connects to MySQL) and then connect to that web service from Unity. That way you could store all of the information in a database and then have a cool looking Unity mobile app connect to the web service. The web service could be REST, SOAP, or some other standard. Good luck with your project.

pablogonzalezguerra and Kiwasi like this.
  5. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

if you know objective C you can write directly for iOS. Java is like a painful but like C# so no problem in android studio and its API is simple too

6. zigglr

zigglr

Ok, and if the app has an instant messaging feature, would UNET be ok to use for this? Would it still work well if the app has thousands of users at once?

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

Unless you know magic (like wizard type S***) then you're not likely to have thousands of users at once on your dating app - definitely better to go with the tried and proven method of PHP/MySQL backend. Nice and easy.

I've written several social networking apps (Like-Wise, Massive, Paramour, Famous) in my former life using this method and it always worked pretty nicely.

You could definitely use Unity for the front-end if you want a highly graphical experience, but if that's not the case, you'd be better off writing a native app.

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Ya just use fake profiles like the rest.

LukeDawn and Joe-Censored like this.
  9. recursive

recursive

Either write a native app or use the Xamarin stack if you want to use C# and .NET. Unity is generally overkill for this type of application, and I wrote several Xamarin-based apps for clients before they were purchased by Microsoft.

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Make a dating app that's secretly a turing test for everyone. Lots and lots and lots of lawsuits... and jail but it would be worth it! d:-B

11. darkhog

darkhog

Technically and legally you can, but why would you want to do it? Unity is first and foremost a GAME engine. Therefore it does many stuff that doesn't make sense in the regular application, such as redrawing everything every frame. This would just make a battery eater that also fails to run well on the older devices.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. zigglr

zigglr

Yes, but for real time messaging php/mysql would not be good. That's why i'm asking what better ways to do this in Unity are, such as XMPP / Openfire perhaps

13. tedthebug

tedthebug

Because for many people dating is a game.

14. yoonitee

yoonitee

a 3D dating app?

pablogonzalezguerra likes this.
  15. tedthebug

tedthebug

That's called meeting & talking to people face to face isn't it?

darkhog likes this.
  16. Arowx

Arowx

The trick will be to get your users to 3d scan themselves and then you will have a use for a 3D game engine as a dating VR/AP app.

Honestly, it's potentially a lot of bloat for a 2D app, wouldn't a lighter C#/Mono API framework for apps work much better?

I would think in the crowded app space having a slow to download and load app will put people off and that would compound the initial problem of very few profiles.

What would be interesting would be trying to use Machine Learning to match people for love, but then again you have the Chicken and Egg problem of staring without any training data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.