Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can i create Long Multiplication in unity ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BlackHacker, Aug 28, 2014.

1. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

2. parandham03

parandham03

can u explain what u exactly want to do.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, that page explains how long multiplication works. There's nothing there that's specific to Unity — you could implement this in C# on the command line, or in any other language for that matter. Use an array to hold the digits of each number, and just implement the algorithm as described.

Or was your question about how to display this process in some interesting manner in Unity?

BlackHacker likes this.
  4. Polymorphik

Polymorphik

This is basic recursion. If this is a thesis, I am assuming you are a math major or computer science major. This should be easy to develop in Unity3D especially since you want the product of what you are doing to be interactive. If you have no knowledge of programming, I suggest you figure something else out as it will be moderate to difficult for a beginner.

5. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

yes my thesis is all about long method computation is this possible in unity ?

@JoeStrout yes joe i want to display that process/idea in unity is it possible ? thanks a lot for helping

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

@parandham03 is it possible to create long method multiplication in unity. ? can you give me a sample ? thanks for helping.

7. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

-Yes joe i want to display that process in unity is it possible ? can i have a sample ? thanks for helping/

8. elmar1028

elmar1028

If you want to multiply numbers you can. Every single programming language out there can do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var number;
    3. function Start() {
    4. number = 5 * 6 * 7 * 8 * 9 * 10
    5. }
    If you want to multiply numbers you need *

Are you planning to use Unity for games? : P

BlackHacker likes this.
  9. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's certainly possible. I don't have a sample for you, but your question boils down to: how do you display text in Unity?

There are several ways to do this... GUI.Label is perhaps the one I'm most familiar with. GUIText is another.

BlackHacker likes this.
  10. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

do you know long multiplication ? can i have that sample program in any programming languages ? thanks for helping.

11. elmar1028

elmar1028

You may use the code I've written, however it won't display the multiplication process - only the result.

In Unity, attach this to any GameObject:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var answer = 0;
    3. function Start() {
    4. //This is where you do multiplication
    5. answer = 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6;
    6. }
    8. function OnGUI() {
    9.     GUI.Label(Rect(Screen.width/2, Screen.height/2, 200, 200), answer);
    10. }
    This should draw a text in the center of the screen showing the number 720.

BlackHacker likes this.
  12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

And BlackHacker, before you ask again, no, it's unlikely anyone here is going to actually write the long multiplication code for you. That's a fair amount of work, and it's your thesis, not ours.

However, assuming this is OK with your advisor, you could certainly hire someone to do it — there is a large community of contract software engineers well versed in Unity. Make sure you have a realistic budget (a few $100 would probably do it for a simple long-multiplication demo), and then post a job offer in the Commercial: Job Offering forum.

ThermalFusion likes this.
  13. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

Thanks a lot elmer and sorry for asking too many questions

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    elmar1028 likes this.
  14. BlackHacker

BlackHacker

Thanks a lot joe if only i have that money maybe i can do what you said but i came to this forum because this is a free forum and maybe many experts help me but thank you for helping.