Search Unity

Can I buy a used Unity licence?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by San_Holo, Apr 28, 2016.

1. San_Holo

San_Holo

Hi...

I've been using Unity personal edition since late 2014 and I'm close to actually finishing my very first game and I didn't think I'd ever make it this far as the old adage says it's easy to start something but very difficult to finish but I'm close and so my thoughts turn to Unity and how far I really want to go with this game/project of mine so I thought it'll be best if I bought a pro licence and push the boat out so to speak.

But I'm just a lone developer and unemployed right now but hoping I can use my collective talents to produce something fun and hopefully make a few pennies but I'm not holding out for that, but it's been quite a ride and I've so enjoyed the cycle of learning and experimentation, anyhow I'm rambling... what does a guy like me do? just save I suppose... it's going to be my biggest purchase of software to date but it's so worth it... but a used licence? I bought a used vBulletin-forum licence years back and just wondered if you can do the same here...

please advise, thanks

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

As far as i know ( a unity Employes answer is appreciated) you(or anybody else) can not resell / sell a used license in any way. That would mean that you can not buy a used license.

What does hinder you to publish with the personal edition if buying the full pro version is out of your reach?

3. Baste

Baste

You don't need a pro licence to sell your game. Pro gives you access to a bunch of nifty services, and allows you to remove the Unity splash screen, but you can sell your game as much as you want without Pro.

See here for the details.

The FAQ has a very clear answer to the question:

San_Holo likes this.
  4. San_Holo

San_Holo

Thanks very much chaps, you know removing the Unity splash screen would be worth the money to give your creations that very personal dedicated touch, although I would have to mention Unity in my game along with the rest of the credits etc, so I'm going to save up for a licence, giving away the feel model of Unity gives people like me a chance to grow from nothing and to hopefully succeed and if you can hold it together and keep focused then it's a small price to pay in the long run, thanks

5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hi there,

Unfortunately as Baste has stated, licenses are not transferrable under any circumstances.

I wish you the best of luck with your future projects!