Search Unity

Calculating RTS build radius

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Epictickle, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Epictickle

Epictickle

Hey guys,

I'm currently creating an RTS, and it's going great! Having loads of fun creating it, actually :)

I just realized one little problem, though, and simply haven't been able to wrap my head around it.. I can build buildings anywhere on the map!

How would one go about calculating the bounds in which buildings can be built around their base? I'm thinking something like a Physics.Checksphere from buildings they have already built, allowing for gradual expansion of their base over time.. But how would I be able to visually show the user that information? I'd like to construct circles along the ground like they do in Command and Conquer.. I was going to do it with just placing textures on the ground, but I don't think that's how they did it because, in C&C, if one circle overlaps another you won't see the other half of the circle, etc...

It doesn't have to be exactly like C&C, or even remotely like C&C for that matter lol. I just don't know how to calculate bounds for something like that while simultaneously giving the user a visual cue.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Keep the two tasks separate.

To calculate if a position is valid simply create circles around all of your buildings. If you have a small number of buildings you can test the distance from every building. Or you can use an overlap sphere from the new building location to see if there is a valid close building.

For visual display I would suggest putting the data into a texture that you can overlay on your map/terrain. Iterate through each building. Generate the circles and add the data to a texture. Be sure to add in such a way that you are only adding valid points to the texture and not clearing previously validated points.