Search Unity

[C#] Using both touch to move & virtual joystick. A bit confused when to use what?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lkarus, May 28, 2015.

1. lkarus

lkarus

I'm currently trying to implement both touch to move (touching a point on the level, and the character will move to that point, assuming that it is a walkable area) and also have a virtual joystick on an android app.

The virtual joystick will not be visible. And when the user touches a part on the screen, if the user holds down his / her finger for a long time (maybe 0.3s) then I will render the virtual joystick that the user can use to move the character. And if the user quickly touches and removes his / her finger at a random location, this time the program will not render the virtual joystick but just move the character to that location.

Currently I am thinking off having a timer that gets the start time of when the user has first touched the screen. Then I will be doing a check to see whether the user has lifted their fingers in x seconds, if not, render the virtual joystick. If yes, then I'll just move the character to that location. Do you think this is a good approach? I'm new to input related stuff so I'm not really sure if this is the best way to do things.

2. steego

steego

Yes, this sounds perfectly reasonable.

3. lkarus

lkarus

Thank you steego!