Search Unity

Button Hover styles ignored?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by sybixsus2, Jan 7, 2010.

1. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I'm trying to apply a custom GUIStyle to a GUIButton, but I can't seem to set any hover properties. I have the normal textcolor set to white and this works, but all the other textcolors, for active, hover, onhover, onactive, etc are all black. When I hover over the button, it never changes the textcolor to black.

What am I missing?

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nothing jumps out as that should certainly work. How are you applying the custom style to your button? Can you show your code?

3. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Well I have the GUIStyle as a public member of the behaviour class, so that's defined in the property inspector.

http://www.starsentineltactics.com/temp/gui.jpg

So then all I do in OnGUI is this:

Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUI.Button(r, workingNodes[0].getContent(), buttonStyle))
    3.                 {
    4.                     ProcessDialogueTreeNode(currentNode);
    5.                 }

4. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Having played around with this some more, it seems that the problem happens because I haven't defined textures for the other styles. Is that intended behaviour or a bug?

I can see that having transparent pixels in a texture not trigger the hover style could make good sense, but if I don't supply a texture then the hover style will never trigger. Also, it seems inconsistent as the button still registers a click if I click the mouse button. Either Unity accepts that my mouse is "over" the button or it does not.

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

It's intended. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to apply the same custom style across all the different states - you have to set them all separately

6. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I didn't want to apply the same custom style across all the different states. I actually wanted not to use a texture for the background of the hover style, and only to show the text.

What I'm saying is that without a texture the entire hover style is ignored. It's inconsistent that the hover style should be ignored and yet the button remains clickable. If not having a texture is intended to stop the button registering a hover, it should not register a click either. If it's intended to register a click, it should register a hover too.

7. andeeeee

andeeeee

I see. Have you filed a bug report about this?

8. robhuhn

robhuhn

9. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Still having this bug, when using a GUIStyle without a background image I don't get any states besides the normal state. The last post here(saying a bug report was sent) was in 2010, so why has this not been fixed yet? I know adding a 1x1 px transparent texture fixes it, but I still think this should be properly fixed.

10. dkozar

dkozar

11. Bloody-Swamp

Bloody-Swamp

2014, after 4 years(!!!) and this bug is still there!!!... (v.4.3.4)
    After the arrival of the new GUI, the OnGUI will still be supported, right? So, that bug should be fixed!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  12. DrDecipher

DrDecipher