Search Unity

BuildOptions.BuildScriptsOnly not working?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Alloc, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Alloc

Alloc

Hi,

when recently updating our build dialogs I saw the (new?) BuildOptions value "BuildScriptsOnly". As the name suggests that this would only recompile the scripts and thus speed up our building a lot I tried to use it. So the call now looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer(scenes, @"BuildOutputPath", BuildTarget.StandaloneWindows64, BuildOptions.BuildScriptsOnly);
    BuildOutputPath pointing to the path that I normally use to build a player. But no matter if that path is empty/nonexistent or if there is a previous full build Unity prints this to the console and aborts:
    So, is this something wrong on our end or does this simply not work?

Such a feature would be highly welcome, as building a hole player for 5-10 minutes just for a script change is mostly overkill. Always wanted this to be possible ;)

Regards,
    Chris

2. Alloc

Alloc

No one? UnityTech? ;)

3. Alloc

Alloc

Judging from "views" count it looks like we're not the only ones interested in this issue ...

4. Alloc

Alloc

5. Glenn-Anderson

Glenn-Anderson

I would like to know as well. Waiting for entire scenes to be rebuilt over and over is a huge waste of time (and money).

6. mark_madatom

mark_madatom

I'm building for Android using Unity 5.1.2p1 and don't get that error message with the build actually being created properly. However it takes just as long as not specifying that option, so it seems like it does nothing :-(

7. jgilbert

jgilbert

I looked into this a bit, as I could not find any documentation. If you go poking around in UnityEditor.WindowsStandallone.Extensionsions.dll you can see it isn't supported in Windows standalone builds.

8. jgilbert

jgilbert

Oh, and same goes for Android. Not supported... Not sure what platform(s) are supported. :confused:

9. liortal

liortal

@jgilbert where did you find this is not supported ? what classes were you peeking into ?

I am interested in this functionality as well.

10. Wolfram

Wolfram

For the record, Unity 2017.1 now officially supports this option, including a toggle in the BuildSettings window.

fffMalzbier likes this.
  11. liortal

liortal

Only for "development" builds :(

12. draber

draber

On iOS, we had to perform an extra step during the build process. Unity blows away the Data/Raw folder underneath the iOS build, which is also where we were storing Bundles built during a full build. We copied the folder to a temp location, built only scripts, and then copied it back and script only builds appear to work fine now.

13. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

Does not work for me in 2018.1 or 2018.2 even with an empty project with one script. Reported as 1031322.

14. berniebwang

berniebwang