Search Unity

Build a Game Universe - Walker Boys and Warden

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by profcwalker, Feb 23, 2013.

1. profcwalker

profcwalker

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. ReganOOP

ReganOOP

Great looking project! Is it really that easy? Seriously?

Been a part of the Unity Training for a while, which I love!
    If this is as well put together as that program then I'm in!

Thanks for helping make game development fun again!
    OOP

3. p6r

p6r

WOW ! Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As a teacher for young children I think it can be very useful and funny.
    I like the desing and the way to build.
    Congratulations !!!

6R

4. ReganOOP

ReganOOP

As a new Unity user I love the tool and the environment.
    From what I've seen on Build A Game it seems like a much different environment.
    Can you explain to me why I might want one over the other, or just both?

Thanks!
    OOP

5. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you p6r. It's definitely a great tool for any age. We have kids playing on it all day building games (4 yrs and up), they are excellent bug finders.:) It's awesome to give them a development environment that let's them express their ideas and share it.

Hi ReganOOP. Great question. My favorite reason is that I can build a game on any supported platform, anywhere. With everything stored on the cloud, you can develop on the phone (bus ride home), switch to a tv and a controller (with friends), then kick back later on a computer with the mouse and keyboard. Second best reason, you can sell your content and games on all supported platforms. This is really a unique element, you publish with a single click, and your game becomes available to everyone, the way it should be. :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

6. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Just backed it and very much look forward to the release (when you get the full backing =p)

7. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you gOtNoodles. We appreciate the support and we're definitely excited about how things are going. :)

8. p6r

p6r

You're welcome...
    WHAT ? You can share the games you made with it !?! You mean standalone games or files using your environment !?!
    What about other languages ??? (Even if I think it could be a great motivation to learn a little bit englsih for my pupils !!!) ;-)
    Do you have a release date ?

6R

9. Unity Games

Unity Games

Creating Unity games using an application is an excellent idea!
    I will try to create a simple game by using your application.

10. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I think this project is a good way to stimulate the creative mind of children by letting them express via game developmnet, a path that is usually closed until people reach certain age when they can understand basic programming/math.

I hope the project goes well, best wishes!

11. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ p6r: Let me jump to the questions.
    1. You can share the games you made with it? (Standalone and within the app)
    Yes to both. However the standalone is our Stretch Goal #9.

2. Language Support?
    Yes. We have things setup for it.

3. Release Date?
    Estimated release is Fall 2013

@Unity Games: We're looking forward to it!

@EvansGreen: Definitely, it's a great way to get people on the right track to development. Also it's a great tool for designers during meetings and prototyping to create the events and behaviors instantly, to see if the ideas would work in their games (Think of it like brainstorming). In addition (my favorite) is all the casual users who care nothing about programming, nothing about art, but simply want to create and communicate in this medium. Giving them a voice will truly be a first. :)

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. p6r

p6r

Simply crazy and fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

13. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

How much extra will the Tile Builder cost? I'd like to upgrade my backing but money is tight and I would like to know if the extra cost now is worth it or if I should wait?

14. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi gOtNoodles,

Great question. When it comes to both Build a Game and Tile Builder, the pledge side on Kickstarter is for the Beta release, the fully loaded version and the developer account. Tile Builder (the tool) when released to market will be free to use. When you are ready to submit your work you have the two options described in the updates on Kickstarter (developer and pay as you go). Again, just as a reminder, Tile Builder is free to use so that you can create all the tiles and sets you want, while making everything exactly what you want. Then submit. :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

15. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Ah, OK. That's good, thanks for the reply =]

16. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Hey guys, quick question. I know there us still 9 days left on the Kickstarter but what are your plans if you don't get the funding? I would still very much like this to be released. So clearly I am hoping you will carry on but what will the implications be if it does happen?/

17. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi gOtNoodles,

Sorry for the delay in responding (I just got the email prompt on this one). :)

We have an update coming that will explain things (if funding isn't completed through Kickstarter). We have several bigger backers that may be pledging in the last couple of days.

To answer your question, yes, we are definitely completing the project. Our schedule has a closed beta in 2-3 months and a completed version 1 in the fall. We've been self funding our project for a year now, and we'll keep pushing forward till it's done. :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you!

18. cookimage

cookimage

This project looks great, only thing is there are already similar project done that has been out for years. One for instance is called Game Salad which does exactly the same thing and they have been going for many years now. But hey the more platforms there is to develop games the better!

19. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Thanks for the reply. I read the update and am happy to hear that it will continue.

As for Game Salad, I find that a little awkward to use. From the looks of Build a Game, it looks easier. Either way as you say it is another platform to make games through

20. profcwalker

profcwalker

@cookimage: Thank you. It's an interesting comparison, however I would actually say it's kinda like apples and oranges.
    Both Build a Game and Game Salad create games. The core difference is 'how' it's done, which allows us to target a broader base of users. We are definitely excited to see it through (and test our theories). :)

21. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Guys,

For those following and supporting our project, I want to let you know we've setup shop on indiegogo. I look forward to seeing you there. Thank you!

22. scorpio66

scorpio66

Hi Chad.

Great project. The indiegogo donations are now closed. Is there another way we can pledge?

Regards Chris

23. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Chris,

Thank you. It's great to hear you are interested in Build a Game. We are excited about the project as we continue to push forward to completion.

Our main site and developer blog should provide you with an update to things. For pledging, when our projects goes to beta, we'll post an option on our site for those that want to get on board. If you are looking to donate, just let me know and I can provide you a link.

Let me know if you have further questions.
    Thank you!

24. TheRaider

TheRaider

I have to say this looks like an awesome version of scratch. I would love to try this when available to see if it is suitable for teaching young people basics of game design.

25. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi TheRaider,

Thank you! And yes, having it useful and relevant for the classroom is on the top of our list. I'm looking forward to you getting to try it out. :)

26. TheRaider

TheRaider

we currently use scratch and unity (for different levels) so i will be interested to see how it compares to scratch which while great is kind of patchy in the game quaility.

27. profcwalker

profcwalker

28. profcwalker

profcwalker

For those that didn't know, we got Greenlit in 6 days! Thanks to everyone who voted. We'll be putting an article together on it with our numbers. Hopefully it will help future developers with their campaigns to Greenlight.

29. profcwalker

profcwalker

Wow, nearly a year later. And we've got an update for you. We submitted to steam and have our Build a Game Universe Page approved and available for viewing.

We are still working on getting things completed for release, but just wanted to give you an update. :)

30. profcwalker

profcwalker

Just a quick update for those following here. We are counting down to an official first (early access) release. :)

You can check out the announcement on our Steam page: Build a Game

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017