Search Unity

BugReport: MonoDevelop - Menus are empty

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mosaic_school, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

When I start /opt/Unity/MonoDevelop/MonoDevelop.exe the IDE works fine including debugging except that the menus are all empty (see attached screenshot).

Unity3D 5.4.0b23
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

If any workaround for this is know, please let me know.

UNITY3D-monodevelop_empty-menus.png

2. frcaton

frcaton

I found a solution for this problem.

In the Unity Editor go to Edit->Preferences, then go to External Tools and in the External Script Editor select the file /usr/bin/monodevelop.

Worked in Ubuntu 16.04.

Cheers.

3. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

Thanks for your reply.

While the MonoDevelop version from Ubuntu works for writing code, I didn't manage to debug with it (connected to the Unity Editor). Since debuggingis all I care about this solution doesn't work for me unfortunately. (actually I write code in atom and just use MonoDevelop for debugging).

4. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

It seems the issue is that Unity's MonoDevelop is linking with a version of gtk that is incompatible with appmenu-gtk.

Good news, there is a workaround until Unity3D fixes the issue. You can start it with:
    (FYI: Adobe Reader had the same issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/appmenu-gtk/+bug/664647)

5. leodluz

leodluz

I have the same problem and whenever I open a .cs opens a new window and a new synchronization.