Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug: Unity runs adb.exe when entering play mode in the editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zenix, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Zenix

Zenix

When I enter play mode in the Unity editor, Unity launches two instances of adb.exe (part of the Android sdk). It then closes one instance, but the other remains open. This is noticeable by having task manager open while pressing the play button in the editor.

This rogue instance of adb is never closed by Unity, and causes issues such as denying access to the editor log file, and sometimes not allowing Unity to close.

Although I have the Android SDK installed and own an Android Unity license, this issue occurs when working on a Windows project.

This has been happening since at least the first 3.5 release, as is still happening in the latest (3.5.5f3).

2. kablammyman

kablammyman

i thought i was the only one with this issue. I just installed the latest unity, I'll see if it still happens.

3. Rampa

Rampa

I have the same issue.
    Most of the time my unity don't want to quit, and if I kill the process adb then unity just quit correctly

Is there any solution?

Best regards

4. CazicThule

CazicThule

I also get this, I have to kill adb.exe from Task Manager before I'm able to run with networking again.

5. Mikael-Gyth

Mikael-Gyth

I have been experiencing the exact same problem, for months my Unity Editor wouldn't close down properly, it wasn't untill a few days ago I found out it was related to/affected by the adb.exe process. I was working with NoesisGUI addon and Unity would actually freeze up when I stopped the scene playing. Manually ending the adb.exe process would return Unity to normal and allow me to continue work. It also seems that once I had manually ended that process I didn't have to do it again.

Hope this gets solved as it's not very obvious whats going on and it can be quite frustrating, specially in the latter case where it would freeze up when stopping a scene playing.

6. blahpers

blahpers

Same here. It's extremely annoying, and I suspect it's related to other problems regarding ports remaining open after the first play.

7. jdesantos

jdesantos

We have several clients being affected by this bug. It is really annoying. Please fix it.

8. ratking

ratking

Same here. Any word on this?

9. Siberdt

Siberdt

Damn, this is really annoying. Especially while transfering of some packages from project to another. :(

10. OrekaIngenierie

OrekaIngenierie

Hi every one i work on unity with noesis gui to and i i this bug to !

11. xandeck

xandeck

Same here, lol... its been a few weeks (since Unity 4.3 really)

12. jdesantos

jdesantos

13. avatara359

This issue still isn't fixed even though the tracker says it is.

Edit: For windows. iOS seems fine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  14. Maf

Maf

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

16. jorge_codes

jorge_codes

We should open a new ticket because it still isn't fixed =(

17. RobBrooks

RobBrooks

I agree. It only affects me for switching between projects / shutting down so it's not a show-stopper but I'd still like to see the back of it.
    Please. :/

18. friuns3

friuns3

19. jdesantos

jdesantos

Are you really surprised about this?

20. friuns3

friuns3

worst part is its creates thousands new connections per second, in a hour your start get connection problems in other apps if you dont terminate adb. I been using unity for many years and all the time been blaming my router for bad internet :D

21. jdesantos

jdesantos

We stopped reporting problems to Unity because they ignore everything. They don't care about. They only care about the next amazing cool graphic feature to compete against UE4

22. Paul_Bronowski

Paul_Bronowski

Old thread, but something worth adding: If you have the GoogleVR SDK unity asset bundle installed, and you have a GvrControllerInput.cs script in your scene. When you hit play, GoogleVR\Scripts\Controller\Internal\Emulator\EmulatorClientSocket.cs will find adb.exe and launch it, if (serialized field) GvrControllerInput.ConnectionMode == USB or WIFI. You need to set GvrControllerInput.ConnectionMode == OFF when not working with a test device.