Search Unity

BUG: Normals inverted on 3DS Max and FBX models

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by lucidcoder, Jan 22, 2012.

1. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

Hi guys, it seems that in 3.5, any Max or FBX model I import has its normals inverted, and when I go into Max to invert the normals to offset the problem, the lighting is still inverted in Unity (dark spots appear light, etc).

.blend, .3ds, .obj, and .dae do not appear to be affected by this. Already attempted to file a bug report through the Report a Bug feature. Had to roll back to 3.4 because of this serious problem.

2. Jevans

Jevans

This also happens to me, although only some of the objects in my exported model appear with flipped verticals and funny lighting. Some of the bits of mesh work as expected. That's using 3DS Max 9->FBX Tools 2006->Unity 3.5b6.

3. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

Any comment from the Unity devs? Is this a known bug?

4. Chaoss

Chaoss

Have you tried "reset xforms" in 3dsmax?

5. Farfarer

Farfarer

I've had no problems importing via FBX files from either 3DSMax 2011, 3DSMax 2012 or modo 501.

I imagine it's an issue with your mesh, rather than the export process...

6. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

If it's a problem with the mesh itself, then something changed in the importers between 3.4 and 3.5, because while using 3.4, the mesh imports without a hitch.

No, and I'm a little afraid to break one of my projects by upgrading temporarily to 3.5 just so that I can test this out. Any volunteers? >_>

7. TempleDog

TempleDog

Just tried it. If you've skinned your character it'll totally screw it up, but yep, 'reset xforms' does fix the normals issue. I'm gonna try removing my skins after saving 'em then reapplying 'em fresh and loading up the envelopes. Back in a bit.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. TempleDog

TempleDog

Why not just save a copy of your project for testing? You need to be saving work copies...LOTS and LOTS of work copies. Always have something to go back to!

9. TheCasual

TheCasual

Hmm , i really dont think theres a Unity bug , i have had no problems at all with max fbx and any version of Unity. I have been using 3.5 for about a week , with around 40-50 custom meshes and not once had an issue. Also , in 3.4.2 not a single problem what so ever.

What version of max are you using out of curiosity?

10. TempleDog

TempleDog

8.0. Yeah, I know, we're due for an update...mebbe today! Using the Autodesk FBX exporter 2006.11.2 And I've spent an hour experimentin'. I've got a mesh character, skinned to a basic biped rig. Works/looks great in 3.4, but comes in with normals flipped in 3.5. I've:

-reset transforms
    -unified normals
    -tried flipping normals to see if they come in inverted the right way

Nuffin. Right now I'm thinkin' it's a conflict between the FBX exporter and 3.5. Does the latest version of Max have it's own FBX exporter?

11. TheCasual

TheCasual

Of course.

12. TempleDog

TempleDog

Uh, 'of course' the latest version o' Max has a built-in FBX exporter?

13. TheCasual

TheCasual

Haha , ya , suppose i coulda added that , thought you would just take for granted my reply meant that , sorry!

14. TempleDog

TempleDog

No worries, mate. Got the word from the boss that we're gonna park the character for now, now that we're fairly sure it's some kind of application / exporter issue and not an inherent problem with the model itself. We're lookin' at upgrading relatively soon, so we'll be able to figure out if it's the Autodesk exporter causing the fuss. Meanwhile, I've got level elements to design!

15. TempleDog

TempleDog

Wow, haven't updated since January! Sorry, but for anyone still having problems with characters/meshes exported from Max 8 or later, I've (seemingly) found a solution. Flip your normals using the 'flip' button under 'surface properties/normals' in the command window, not with the 'normals' modifier! The 'normals' modifier doesn't seem to export to Unity, so that's no help.

However, you can use the 'normals' modifier to get your flipped model to display properly in Max, just put it in the stack, won't export anyhoo. Weird, but at least our character looks the way it should now. Deadline's tight, so we don't have time to muck about. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012