Search Unity

Bravo Storm - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by tinman, Jun 14, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman

Hi Everyone,

This little creation of mine comes from my passion for first person shooters. I've been working on this game for the past year, full time, as a solo developer. Being a PC gamer, I wanted to make a shooter where you could just play. I had the feeling that other games wanted me to log into various systems, update my browser and download a 50MB update each time I wanted to play. I want people to just be able to click and play, but still get a great experience. Bravo Storm is browser based,ie WebPlayer.
    Lately I've been working really hard on optimizing the game, especially graphics related, so that the game will be really light weight and work even on less powerful machines.

I'd be very happy if you would give me your feedback. I just put up the first preview video. It's still a work in progress, I am working on polishing the UI and of course other goodies :) This is of course a multiplayer game :)

If you want, you can get updates on facebook on:

http://www.facebook.com/BravoStorm

A thank you also to the helpful Unity community which answered my questions and is always willing to help :)

Cheers,
    Tinman

2. EverHeartGames

EverHeartGames

Sooo..what makes this game different from the hundreds of other First Person Shooters?

Also- there are actually browser based FPS games.

3. george-daters

george-daters

It looks really good. it takes a lot of effort to make something like this. Any chance of a webplayer demo?

faraz likes this.
  4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Whats your problem?

faraz likes this.
  5. EverHeartGames

EverHeartGames

Sorry, just my two cents. I, however, tip my hat to tinman for making an FPS, which is a pretty difficult thing to do within Unity. Heck, I wouldn't know where to start.

But you have to admit, every shooter game is the same. Wouldn't hurt to make something a bit more..different. Maybe the game can be based in the future instead of modern times. In the future, you have so much more stuff you can put. Awesome gadgets, high-tec weapons, etc.

6. macdude2

macdude2

The grenade cam was a neat idea though, haven't seen that in any other game. Also really liked the zoom only DOF, it's a smart idea that makes a lot of sense.

faraz likes this.
  7. Myhijim

Myhijim

Hmmm let me think.... Oh

Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis 2, RAGE, Bulletstorm, Blackout ... etc

I think your opinion of completely redoing an already well developed game into something that already exists and ISN'T different, is not right.... Just my two cents.

@OP
    Looks great... I love the idea of just playing it without excessive downloads! Favorite type of game

faraz likes this.
  8. voltage

voltage

I also thoroughly enjoy the grenade cam. In terms of finding something original, that nifty gadget was it! I hope to see more original ideas Tinman!

I'd also like to suggest, perhaps you could apply a means of quieting down your equipment. I found the typical stride and sprint ambiance to be far too loud when desiring to sneak on your enemy. Maybe the lighter your equipment, the quieter you can be?

I don't know if this has been done before, I don't usually play FPS.

faraz likes this.
  9. Myhijim

Myhijim

Is it just me or can anyone else see how abused the grenade cam could get.... Grenades just become spying equipment. I mean, I guess that is pree cool

faraz likes this.
  10. Brotherhood

Brotherhood

That would actually make for a cool gameplay mechanic, although it would be a bit more sci-fi. Lob a "sticky" camera that self destructs after X seconds or something along those lines. Could be fun.

11. tinman

tinman

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the feedback! Loving the grenade cam debate :D

As for the questions:

WebPlayer demo is not out, BUT there should be one in the next couple of weeks! All updates are on

facebook.com/BravoStorm

- so please check it out :) Page 'likers' will get the first invitations to play.

As for whats different? Well that's a legitimate question:

- this game is browser based - so no need for long installations etc. Each time you load it you will get the latest version. At the same time giving a great experience.

- Lightweight - the whole game is made to load quickly. The map in the vid for example is currently about 8MB, so you can load it really quick. The load is cached so next time you load it it will be (almost) instant. If you have 5 minutes and wanna play, you can do it.

- More neat features! Like the grenade cam and even never seen before playmodes.

- An active and listening developer - someone who listens to players (here I am! :) ), is engaged with players wants their input.

- community - players will have an active say in the game, and possibilities to even contribute.

- The game graphics are heavily optimized for even less powerful machines.

And regarding the sound of the equipment, I will adjust it :)

12. JanCDS

JanCDS

I've had time to play a couple of games so far, and I must say for a 1 man team I'm very impressed. There are a couple of small let downs I'd like to express. (yes it's in beta, but I guess criticism is handy?)

-So far I haven't noticed a way to see how much health you've lost there's no counter for this or a degrading blood screen. I'm fine without it but it would be a nice addition either way.

-It's also a bit hard to see your spread when hip firing, this is most likely intentional, but again the addition might add to the experience.

-The lack of a sound slider or the ability to rebind your keys is also annoying to me, the controls aren't too bad but some players might have a preference.

-The addition of a way to see your own/others ping on a server is also handy.

-Logically more camos and attachments are always nice. But I'm sure that was already in your to do list.

-Perhaps the addition of vehicles on larger maps would be nice? I'm not talking jets but simple jeeps would be nice on some of the bigger maps, just a suggestion.

-Overal improvement of graphics might also be a nice addition.

-An FOV slider might also be interesting (I myself don't need this, but again, would be a nice addition)

-It also appears you can sprint backwards if done right, just a small bug

That's just my two cents, good luck on your game and may it grow more and more popular.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  13. LaurensH

LaurensH

Did play the game multiple times and it's very good.
    Some points to work on:

- Spawn killing; Sometimes 3 people spawn at the same time at same place on top of each other.
    - Spawn killing; add 3 seconds untouchable
    - You get stuck when walking over dead bodies.
    - A bug that you have the aim indicator/crossair with the gun when you swap quickly from grenade to gun.
    - No possibilities to compare standard weapons or see the stats in comparison to the premium weapons
    - Shooting enemies in close combat when circling around each other is nearly impossible. It seems bugged.

Tips:
    - More info about planned updates
    - Health indicator
    - Stand/kneel and walk/run indicator
    - More weapons and upgrades

I know you are alone. And I must say: great job!

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

Being made by a one-man team is very impressive. I liked everything I saw in the video and specially the grenade spy cam. If you want to make your game stand out from the other FPS browser based games, then you'd have to find other unique features to add. Keep up the great effort you are doing and I'll be following this from your Facebook page.

15. BetaTesterWolf

BetaTesterWolf

I think your doing a great job so far in the beta, the only Problem i have is you cant turn to fast or it wont let you turn, so you gotta turn slowly, but besides that Theirs also the fact in free-for-all everyone spams grenades and it does get annoying :p Btw have a bad laptop and wirless is not so good but its playable so i like how your doing creating your game So far Tinman ^-^ But theres also the fact if theirs too many players performance decreases and lag increases so 4v4 and 8 free-for-all servers would be VERY helpful. Anyways i would say you should think about what I typed because i wanto be a long time player of this game since its hard finding new games to enjoy where no ones too overpowered.

16. luifer97

luifer97

Quisiera saber si le puedo cambiar el idioma y si hay algún tutorial disponible para los novatos como yo que recién empiezan a jugar. Por cierto, muy buen trabajo me gusta como se ven los escenarios.

17. luifer97

luifer97

Tengo otra pregunta: ¿Porque el juego se ve muy lento en mi pc , como podría solucionarlo?

18. Mauri

Mauri

luifer97, please try to write in english. Not everybody understands spanish :)

19. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Looks great so far, love the graphic style. Reminds me of some old N64 games for some reason.

I would also like to point people to a game called Intruder, made in Unity. Probably the most unique FPS game out there.

20. Speed_demon666

Speed_demon666

I've been playing this ALOT and love it. Really well done for all the work so far. The outpost map is awesome and the desert? one is great for deathmatch.

Despite people asking what makes it different I think its very different in style to other games.

I love the grenade map and distance indicator, the graphic style of both the people and the scenery and the identification above the heads.

Only a couple of things I've found irritating:

Turning around quickly (eg when being shot at) seems to be a real struggle and the game seems to get a bit lost so you end up dying as the view just wont rotate.

A map in the bottom corner would be good for Team battles so you know where your team are.

Some sort of health Indicator is needed. Perhaps the colour of the square around the ammo/burst type could go from green to amber to red?

Money. It really is VERY difficult to get anywhere if you don't spend Gold. I'm talking way way too many games just to even get a better scope. I know the point is to earn real cash for all the development time but the ratio needs to be improved as it puts people off continuing to play and just makes the game seem like a money grabber.

I dont understand the benefit of ranks in the game. I'm going up but what does it do? Perhaps more maps could be unlocked every couple of ranks?

Obviously More maps will be coming but at the moment 3 maps is starting to get a bit dull once you're winning most of the time ;-)

oh! and key mapping would be cool. I still find V for instant knifing a bit of a struggle.

A long way off but maybe in the future a way to get on a team with your friends if they are playing as well, like a friends list?

But overall this is REALLY promising and the best FPS on my list of FB games. Get a new map on there and I'll be running round for months to come :)

21. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Congrats on actually doing it. Not my "cup of tea" as they say because I don't like FPS games except for Borderlands and Hell Gate London (the best I ever played). Most of these games just feel so dang slow and clunky and are boring as heck in my opinion. But I'll give your game a spin on break anyway just because you took the time to make it and share it here.

22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

So... where is it? I checked out the Facebook page and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled and all I see are announcements of updates, server down for updates, and videos showing new features added.

faraz likes this.
  23. JamesPro

JamesPro

Cool Game. My first match I played I came in 2nd place. I end up with 7 silver from the match. Went to see how much upgrades cost between matches and wow like 300 silver there abouts for a simple scope... I would defiantly take a look at making it less games you need to play before being able to start upgrading. Maybe do something like Combat Arms where you have the option of Unlocking stuff for 1 day, 5 days, 7 days, or Permanently. In order to unlock something permanently you would need to pay real cash for it.

faraz likes this.
  24. faraz

faraz

game looking good .
    but where is the developer ? He should reply and do its more publicity

maria-dev likes this.
  25. maria-dev

maria-dev

Nice game

faraz likes this.
  26. preadatordetector

preadatordetector

Tinman should make this have elements of survival horror in this game. The music seems fitting.

Flashlights can be something used by all players, as well as flares. Players could only see enemies in light, and firing a weapon, turning on the flashlight, or being shone upon by a flashlight, flares, or fire reveals enemies, and players can work accordingly.

27. Goregaming

Goregaming

It really ticks me off when someone has something negative to say when someone else has done an amazing job. You probably do not understand the effort it takes to code and animate a FPS game especially within unity. It can be the most tedious and excruciating process ever. I think instead of throwing negative comments we should commend this nice fellow for doing an amazing job. There is a difference between negative comments and constructive criticism. Normally, constructive criticism starts with a complement then branches off to the flaws of the subject. Just saying, you might want to consider that before commenting. Otherwise you will get a butt-load of hate.

Well done Tinman, you have defiantly gained a follower, I hope that this does not become a dead thread. Keep doing what you do.

faraz likes this.
  28. RJD2

RJD2

hey guys i am new here, i hv been playing this game on fb its aa fun and amazing game!!! :)

faraz likes this.
  29. faraz

faraz

Yeah its awesome looking for some more updates! :)

30. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

I think it's cool. One thing though, most of the first person games I see have terrible footstep sounds. It instantly ruins the whole experience.

31. andrewjason

andrewjason

I don't think I've ever seen the 'grenade-cam' feature before, I enjoy that. Perhaps it's just me, but the most noticeable thing I found is the lack of variation in building types. Not a huge flaw obviously. But as as far as gameplay goes, without playing it, I'd say it looks fairly solid.

32. Tincup_

Tincup_

I love your game friend but currently people have found a unity speed and wall hack and are using it in your game on facebook . I play the game for hours and have found about 34 players using it . I hope there is something you can do about it soon or the game could die . I don't think people want to pay to get killed by a hack . The USA servers have more hacks than the EU . thank you and have a good day .