Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MegaBundle 03 - 503 Spells VFX

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NeatWolf, Sep 29, 2014.

?

Which price do you think I should sell this asset?

1. 5$

36.2%
  2. 10$

30.4%
  3. 15$

20.3%
  4. 20$

10.1%
  5. 25$

8.7%
  6. 30$

2.9%
  7. 35$

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, I've just launched the new Particle FX package and I'd like to hear from you all the content you'd like to find inside it.

The theme is Fantasy&Magic

big.png

Please list every&each special FX you'd like to find, starting from the basics!

Overview02.jpg Walls02.jpg Hit01.jpg CastFX7.jpg

All 500 FX in 18 minutes:

Try the Webplayer DEMO and
    Grab it now from the STORE!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Let's start with something simple: Shields and Teleport bases:
    RuneCircles01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Adding: Ice Blast, Fire Blast, Acid Blast, all thick and fluid, they can be seen from every angle without distortion or loss.
    Length: 10 units.
    Any request?
    Blasts.jpg

WebPlayer Demo

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi there,

So far good, can you please add some of the following aswell:

Single shooting:
    Fireball,
    Snowball,
    Electric ball,
    Sword/arrow (transparent/illuminated)
    Lightning bolt strike / thunder bolt
    Ice blast

AOE Damage:
    - Group of swords flying in the direction of enemy , another one coming down
    - Group of skeleton head flying in the direction of enemy
    - Stones dropping from the sky
    - Lightning bolt strike
    - Ice blast
    - Fire storm
    - Blue/red/dark storm

Heal:
    - Something sparkling and yellow
    - Rune circle at ground with rays going upwards (could be used for healing/buff)

Would be good if you can add something similar to shown in this demo:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2427824/Asset/WebBuild_MagicFX_Vol03/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Anyway good luck, I will be watching this and hopefully put forward more ideas if time permits.

I guess once you get a good quantity, then it would be good to invest sometime to polish what's available.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

That's lot to do ;)
    I'm trying to complete and fix the other packages, in the meanwhile thanks for the feedback, please leave a review on the liquid package if you liked it! ;)

I think this will be my hardest package, 3d modeling and scripting is probably going to be needed! I'd like the assets to be simple to use!

6. hopeful

hopeful

Here's some idea of what I would look for involving player attacks and effects, whether magic or science based. Some of these are already dealt with in other NeatWolf packs and other assets in the store.

And yes, it's a long list. But it's probably less than 400 effects. :)

"Attacks" would be generally in the form of single target beams / blasts / bolts, area attacks that can affect multiple targets (like fireball, electrical ball, ice patch, etc.), attack auras (placed on the player), and maybe some form of melee attack.

"Effects" would be the type of imagery that you use to accentuate the power as it is being cast (like putting flames on the hands if casting a fire bolt), on a weapon that is enhanced (like an electrical sword or fire arrow), or to show an enemy or object was hit and is affected by the attack (acid splash, radiation cloud, chilling vapor, burning patch, etc.).

Also, sometimes when a player or enemy is hit with an attack they may have some form of buffing or debuffing that occurs, and this is preferably made visible with some sort of effect or symbol. It can also be good to have alternates, as there may be different types of the same general sort of effect. (As in the case for slow, which could be slower movement, slower attack rate, slower recharge, etc.)

Attacks:
    fire
    ice
    water
    electric
    acid
    dark / negative energy
    sonic
    psionic / mental
    laser / force / positive energy (solid and pulsed beams)
    wind / whirlwind
    thorn / spores

Effects:
    net / web
    plant / coiling vines
    chilling vapor
    small burning patch
    electrical sparks
    acid splash
    lingering radiation
    received sonic attack
    received psionic / mental attack (maybe a static splash / star effect to be placed behind the head of an enemy)
    resurrection
    healing
    increased / decreased vitality / regeneration
    increased / decreased energy / endurance
    increased / decreased attack power
    increased / decreased accuracy
    increased / decreased defense
    blinded
    stunned / dizzy
    sleeping
    confused
    terrorized
    slowed

If I think of anything else, I'll add it to this list. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks, this is a bit overwhelming but I'll try to satisfy the requests, day by day.

8. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

BLASTS!
    ice, fire, acid, water, electric, negative, sonic, psionic, positive, wind, web!
    (missing nature/spores, taking a breath for that)
    try the demo!

Blasts.jpg

9. hopeful

hopeful

Oops! I probably should have put net / web under effect, because the idea is the target would be entangled. But having said that ... the web blast looks kinda cool. :)

As far as the electrical blast goes, it seems to me it should be a little more like a lightning bolt. Right now it seems to have a lot of crosswise action, which makes it seem less electrical to me.

The energy bolt is an interesting looking effect, but I think I'd prefer a solid beam or maybe two-toned, with a more intense core and a faded outer layer. Can this be added as an alternate?

Sonic, mental, dark, water, fire, ice, wind all look great. Looking at the acid blast I'm thinking it might be good to have an alternate that arcs and maybe one that arcs and bounces, so it could make some really nasty zombie vomit.

Can the length and angle of the cone on these blasts be changed? For my purposes, I'd like to fire a beam anywhere from 1m to 25m, and some of them I'd like to be narrow for single target and wide angle for multiple targets.

Also, I assume color can be changed. Can any of these be two-color effects? That would be cool.

The various magic rings, by the way, look very nice. :)

10. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I LIED! Here's the Bio Blast too !
    ice, fire, acid, water, electric, negative, sonic, psionic, positive, wind, web, bio!
    Blasts2.jpg

11. hopeful

hopeful

Nature (bio) blast looks great! As an alternate, can we have rose petals or some flowery thing and / or leaves? (I imagine we can swap out stuff on our own to get a customized effect.)

12. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looks great so far, keep up the good work :).
    Maybe try providing some of these blasts in different shapes and short burst, right now they all resemble engine blasts:
    - Like circle/sphere or spread along wide area
    - reducing the size of the blast (currently it's long)
    -
    I guess picture is worth more then 1000 pics.. Some pics below to give you an idea the type of magic effects we after:

lol this one looks good

AOE spike effects when target is hit

Blasts

Hope whats shown above gives you an idea.
    Remember quality is better the quantity :). Maybe change the title of the package to "Lite Fantasy & Magic Pack". Perosnally I would prefer 10 good quality effects then 100 average effects.

Anyway that's my two cents.. Keep up the good work.

nasos_333 and hopeful like this.
  13. Paps-O

Paps-O

Hi sowatnow,
    sorry to hijack your post, but can you tell me from which game the last two images comes from?
    Thanks

ps @ NeatWolf sry for the thread hijack

14. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

That's the only way the particle system allows to do that without scripting. If you want beams, arcs and so on there's no other way to do that but scripting it by yourself, that goes away from the original scope of the package that is, having ready to drop in resources. Scripting is very purpose specific and is left to the user. Also, shuriken particles are not suggested for beams, you should rather use LineRender or TrailRender.

Yes, I can make the holy/ positive/laser bolt as an alternate version just for you.

Nope, those are blasts, if you need liquids that arc and bounce you should use the Liquids&particles FX. I can add a vomit FX just for you.

The cone and length of the fx can of course be tweaked, their length is 10 units, fixed length, it's up to you to make all the (way too many) variants, I need to focus on other effects.

Sure, almost all are 2 color effects and you'll be able to tweak that.

I can at maximum provide a close range of every effect (say, 5 units), spreading them out

Image 1: feasible, reducing the lenght and spreading the arc
    Image 2: only obtainable with scripting
    Image 3: Those are LineRenders, not obtainable with the shuriken particle system, you have to build your own engine to do that.
    Image 4: That is again a line Render, I can simulate such blast, but you should definitely use a line render, not particle systems.
    Image 5: feasible, I need the proper textures and models.
    Image 6: A ball witha swirling texture as attack, some meshes inside, feasible hit fx
    Image 7: same as 6.

Well, you're asking for less, but only the number of the beams is considerable. If I have to make a FX for every element, you'll be sure you're getting quantity. I try to keep the quality to the visually acceptable level.

There's also people who voted "5$" as a price of the package, but isn't considering is not complete. Just for the images and resources I spent like 60$ in images last day, not considering the whole day of work of tweaking all the effects.

That would have been nice to know beforehand. Sure, you can substitute everything you want. I will look for and buy flowery images just for you :)

15. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

*anf*
    Alternate version for the holy and bio blast added,
    Also reworked ALL version doubling them in number to have a close/spread range, hope you like them, I'll update the demo soon. Blasts3.jpg

16. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Added Casting FX hemispheres, one for each element
    CastFX.jpg

17. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Full casting FX (Dome + core) for Acid, Bio, Lightning, Fire/Lava

CastFX2.jpg

CastFX3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Fire, Ice, Negative, Positive cast combined.... CastFX4.jpg

19. sowatnow

sowatnow

I have no idea, just picked them off Google Images. Sorry..

Fair enough NeatWolf, you know what you are doing :). Some good effects you have added keep up the good work.

20. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

The complete collection of the casting FX, combined
    Negative, positive, psionic, sonic, water, web, wind,
    Ice, Fire, Lightning, bio, acid

CastFX5.jpg

21. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

The Full family of spells in action, with core casting fx, dome fx, spell fx,
    Now I'm going to work on the hitFX CastFX6.jpg CastFX7.jpg

Try them in the demo

Any requests?

22. davbar9

davbar9

Hi!! I will buy your pack. My requests:
    - Megaman spawning FX and megaman shoot: 4:00
    - Spawn spawning FX electic player and electric player shoot: 9:26
    - Ice shoot:15:35
    - Fire shoot: 15:26

NeatWolf likes this.
  23. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, please note that the FX you requested are cartoonish and to make them identic I would actually have to COPY them, and of course that material is copyright protected. I could make something similar, non cartoonish, just for you.
    Or is being cartoonish a must? All of the current FX I did are realistic and 3D, I should open a new subcategory in the case.

24. davbar9

davbar9

I need then in cartoonish or realistic. Realistic similar good for me :)

NeatWolf likes this.
  25. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I don't want to use too many textures nor use a texture for just a specific request, the package would grow in size and required memory in no time.
    You'll see here the results :)

26. davbar9

davbar9

Good, I am waiting impatiently.

27. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I analyzed the requests, but this is a Fantasy&Magic pack, so the megaman shot won't appear(it's just a solid textured sphere that has nothing to do with magic).
    I did the spawning FX already, even if compared to the other spells seems totally out of place. I think I'll make an arcane version.
    Every shoot in the pack will resemble a spell, this is an asset about magic, not about cartoonish Megaman, I will only mimic the functioning and general shape.
    "Spawn spawning FX electic player" what do you mean exactly?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  28. davbar9

davbar9

Thanks good. Spawn Spawning FX electic player is a error.
    Spawning FX electic player is correct.

29. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

There's a video with lots going on I don't get what the "Spawning FX electic player is correct" is. Could you please make a screenshoot?

Here's the 3D arcanized Flame shot Req02.jpg

davbar9 likes this.
  30. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Here's the 3D arcanized Megaman Ice shot requested Req03.jpg

davbar9 likes this.
  31. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Going back to complete the package: Here is the first batch of the projectiles. each one leaves a nice trail as you will be able to see in the showcase

Acid, Bio, Fire, Ice, Electric projectiles (called Proj01_<element>) in the package shoot01.jpg

32. davbar9

davbar9

I like fire and ice attack. Are awesome :)

Spawning FX. megaman and electric player:
    Are cartoonish but I'll leave your imagination to make something cool Magical 3D FX.

33. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

UPDATE: All projectiles for all elements are ready, now I'm going to work on the HitFX:
    Proj02.jpg

All of them leave a nice trail when moving, watch them in action (ProjXX series) in the LIVE DEMO

nasos_333 and davbar9 like this.
  34. davbar9

davbar9

Good work. I can not wait to buy it.

NeatWolf likes this.
  35. davbar9

davbar9

NeatWolf. Today i buyed your 2 awesomes FX Packs! =)
    10$ is a good Prize.
    How long you calculate to release this pack?

36. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hehehe, I know it's a good prize, there's a ton of work behind them! I hope you're enjoying those!
    If you really really loved the packages please remember to leave a good review on the store! If you're not satisfied, well, I'm here :)

I'm working on the 3rd pack full time (even now), I'm working on the HitFX animations (check the HitXX items in the Live Demo)

For the basics I'm almost done, I'm unsure if releasing the package with "few" assets (well, they're already about 100, but pretty complex), or wait until I unleash my fantasy on the "Spells&magic" subject ;)

37. davbar9

davbar9

I have not had time to try today. But it seems that is a big job.
    When I try the 2 packs I'll let your 5 stars.

I can not wait buying it =). Prefer to buy it now and then go further updates in the future.

NeatWolf likes this.
  38. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Great to hear ;)

Just be a little more patient, I'm almost done with the basic setup:
    Yes, this is basic ;)
    12 elements(others may come), some shields, hit FX, long cone, wide Cone, cast FX 1, cast FX 2, Projectiles.

Took literally more than a week to fine tune and set up and polish, I really hope you will appreciate that. ;)

Overview01.jpg

And, of course, you can still preview everything with the Webplayer Demo ;) (check the Hit series)

Socrates and davbar9 like this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but if you want to do it, some of the powers (like lightning, fire, cold, negative) can have a damage aura effect and / or area effect where they fill a 2m radius circle around the player or a 4m diameter circle slightly above the ground when cast ahead.

As far as I'm concerned you could use the same effects for both damage aura and area effect, but it might be good to provide an alternate. General suggestions for an alternates would be where there is an emanation moving from the center to the edges, or maybe radially flowing in some way, or with sprouts or flares within the field.

Maybe a way to go about it would to have one relatively calm, more efficient effect and one more showy, more intensive effect. This way, if I wanted to make a larger area effect I could resize the calmer one to say 8m diameter and place the showier one on top at the center, and so long as I am using matching colors it might go together.

Oh, and an idea for an effect not yet addressed: seismic. Maybe a ground shatter area effect ..? Something along those lines.

Also, if you can do it and think it will be broadly useful: an aura that is vertical around the body, maybe visualized like ( T ).

If you were starting to run out of ideas, I hope that helps! lol

NeatWolf likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

You know ... even non-damaging powers like Web could possibly have a damage aura / area of effect. While there would be no damage from a web, it could still be an entanglement action, where anyone standing in the web field has a chance to have a web attack hit, slowing their movement.

And a bio field could be something that boosts regeneration for allies of the caster.

I suppose an air field could be something that has a chance to hit, and it if does an air burst knocks an opponent back.

So the damage aura / area effect fields don't have to be limited to those that would seem damaging.

41. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions!
    I honestly have a world to create with magic, but I must put myself some limits! :D
    With the ideas I gathered I could work on this for another full month full time and at that point there would be *no way* I could sell this at mere 10$. ;)

Let's see how well it goes as it is now, if enough assets are sold I may decide to expand it.

I could add other elements: earth, crystals, void, healing, resurrection, blood/gore, gloom
    and other shapes: emanation, circle, wall, shield.

with just the first line being more than 90 prefabs finely crafted one by one, one per element. That's a lot of work! ;)

I'm just tempted to make 10 units walls for now, one for each of the 12 current elements, other shapes/elements may or may not come in the same pack, creating a whole magic system is *tremendously* time consuming ;)

42. hopeful

hopeful

You can also make a Magic Pack 2. ;)

I think it is important to keep prices low. Lower prices are more easily afforded by many Unity users, so if you have a lot more magic effects to do, maybe it is best to break this project up into two packs.

Since you haven't released this pack yet, you can divide it.

I suspect you have a lot of "arcane" magic type effects that you want to do ... like the rune circles and cages you created. Those are beautiful effects and I'm sure there's a lot more variations that could be done on that theme, like weaving lines of runes and so forth.

My suggestion is to take the bulk of the effects you already have done here, and make a Natural Magic Pack. Effects that are in that theme can be added later, like the area effects I was talking about.

Then as you accumulate effects for the other group, you could create an Arcane Magic Pack.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  43. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I think you're right, I might add a few generic magic stuff here and leave the extra shapes in pack#4
    Or... sell an underpriced asset, that would be the only other choice.

Do you think the wall spells should be 5 ore 10 units long by default (I think 5, the particle count could get out of hand)? The circles should be something like 4 in radius and the auras about 3 I believe...

44. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure I'd use wall spells, myself, so I'm probably a bad person to ask about that. Walls are tricky to use, in that placement can be hard, and the game dev has to decide if they are passable / impassable, can they be damaged, and so on.

Probably the best solution for the placement issue would be to have wall segments on a smaller scale that can be added together by a script made by the dev. This way they can decide how to fill the space they have on their game map, and they can make lines or circles or whatever shapes they like.

If you configure your wall effects like pillars (of fire, of ice, etc.), then they can be added together as the dev wants. Also, if the dev chooses he can allow each pillar (wall segment) to have its own health value, so if players focus their attacks on one area they can make a hole in the wall, which can be a nice effect.

From your perspective, as the effect maker, maybe you would want to have the pillars look something like an X from above ...? That way they can be arranged in a variety of ways and still look like they are connecting. Or perhaps like an H or an I-beam: two parallel surfaces that make up the outer and inner walls with an inner core.

As for the area effects ... I wanted to simplify things for you by having them all be the same size. Another way to go would be to have the complex effect be 3m diameter and the more plain effect be 6m diameter.

NeatWolf likes this.
  45. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

In the meantime, the first 5-units section walls:
    Acid, bio, fire, cold, lightning
    Walls01.jpg

46. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Running like a train: all walls done!
    They ended up being quite nice! Walls02.jpg

You can watch them in the "WallXX" series. Please note that they are showcased above ground.
    Webplayer DEMO

47. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Running like the wind: all pillars have been done!
    If you need to compose your special fx (eg. circle, half circle, cage, following a trajectory), you now have the single element of... that element to do that!

Pillars01.jpg

You can watch them in the "PillarXX" series. Please note that they are showcased above ground.
    Webplayer DEMO

48. davbar9

davbar9

Hi NeatWolf. Sorry. I have a final request. Megaman dead FX.
    You can use the circle effect from appear01 to do this effect.
    Thanks!

49. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the tip but Unity can't spread out the particles at even distance so the FX is not feasible without scripting.

50. davbar9

davbar9

I understand. Then you could add an new effect with only the appear01 circle so I do it with code