Search Unity

Books.... how to if possible and any ideas?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by phillipreilly707, Nov 26, 2014.

1. phillipreilly707

phillipreilly707

just wondering if its possible to make it so there is an interactive object (book, model already made) so when i pick it up it flicks a book on the screen that you can then use mouse button 1 (left click) to left one page and mouse button 2 to go right page with mouse button 3 (scroll click) to put the book back.

thanks in advance

2. Ricks

Ricks

Yes, it's possible. It just depends on your skills to implement it, e.g.

1) You press a key and then a ray is cast from the camera in frontward direction
    2) If it hits the book collider you can show a 2D book (using GUI) on your screen
    3) The GUI also reacts on any key or mouseinput you wish

Of course you can implement it in 3D as well.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you want to animate the page flip, you'll probably want to use 3D and animate a double-faced 3D plane. You'll need to put text or graphics on the page. You can prerender your page content and apply it as a texture on the page, or you can render text dynamically onto the plane, which is harder. Or you can use an Asset Store product such as 3D Flipping Book, Dynamic 3D Book Kit, or Mega-Fiers. Mega-Fiers might be overkill for this one feature, but it also does a whole lot more. There's a video tutorial on using Mega-Fiers to set up a 3D book here.

4. phillipreilly707

phillipreilly707

thanks mate i will see what i can do.

5. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

There is also MegaBook by the same creators of Mega-Fiers for creating 3D books and comics which might be a another solution.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17826

AdamScura likes this.