Search Unity

Games "Blubber Busters" - Game Dev Blog

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Terrabite, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Terrabite

Terrabite

Hey guys! My name's Maddy and I'm a Character Artist at Thar Be Monsters, working on the game Blubber Busters.

>> Playable Prototype <<

I started a thread here on the Unity forums so we can share the progress we make on our game. Open to any feedback & tips you guys may have! :)

Official Site // Twitter // Facebook // Tumblr // Twitch

P.S. Sorry for any broken images below. I no longer use ImageShack v_v

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

So, I really dig this concept art, has some wicked crazy style to it. The hand-painted textures are also a big plus. Keep it up!

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Holy smokes... why is this not getting more attention? I am digging the models and concepts... I am keeping a good eye on this one... The lady with the HUGE hands looks like she can do some DAMAGE...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. Lemo76

Lemo76

This is AMAZING! Lovely design and concept art, The style looks awesome and I can't wait to see the environment. Great Job.

5. 121

Nice designs! I saw some of them over at Polycount. I'll keep an eye on this :)

6. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks guys! Really glad you're digging it :)

Slowly chugging away since the holidays are coming up, but we have our final design for Space Whale from our awesome concept artist Avery Coleman.

More to come soon!

7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

sweet!

Like everyone else, the concept art and models really caught my attention. Seriously some badass awesome sauce stuff going on in here. Looking forward to see this progress. Keep up the great work :)

8. DaveyD

DaveyD

Wow! Pretty good concept art!! The models shown are great too!

9. Sebrz

Sebrz

Ho, nice!

I can not tell if the colored images are models or just artworks, anyway, is an amazing work. The concept of enemies and protagonists is really good, i like the big gun/arms characters ha. I really want to seee some in game screenshot.

Great designs. Enemies looks like acuatic alines, has something to do? Well, this i don't know yours plans but i hope a frenetic action game :)

regards!

10. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks a lot guys! :)

@Sebrz: We haven't posted any of the enemies yet, but we will soon!

Here's Eva the Space Nurse again. She's about 99.9% there, just messing with some final touches and her much needed spec map on the glassy bits. Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. Kelde

Kelde

Holy S***, Avery form Darksiders 2 art team? No wonder this looks great, awesome artwork all the way!

12. Blacklight

Blacklight

That art is just... wow.

13. GeneBox

GeneBox

The art is amazing. AMAZING I SAY!

14. Pastywhite

Pastywhite

The art on this is AMAZING. So far so good guys. Can't wait to see some more.

15. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thank you, everyone! :)

Here's some updates on the space whale sculpt and some mini ships.

16. NomadKing

NomadKing

Really loving the art style on this - those hand painted textures are simply gorgeous! ;)

17. LaneFox

LaneFox

Stunning work! Looks really, really great!

18. landon912

landon912

Once you started talking about how it's you and your friends messing around I didn't expect much, but this is bloody awesome! How dare you trick me... :p

19. Terrabite

Terrabite

Haha, thanks a lot guys! sorry to trick you landon :p

One of our concept artists have started some exploration of the play space.

See more of his work here -> http://albers.cghub.com/

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Very awesome Terrabite, good luck with it :)

Cheers

21. georetro

georetro

Holy crap. This is fricking amazing. I love the concept art and the concept all together. All of the very best for the future and I really do hope all goes as planned for you and your team!

BTW will this be multiplayer?

22. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

the art style is phenomenal! Very much looking forwards to seeing how this develops!

23. Terrabite

Terrabite

Appreciate it, guys!

@georetro: Since it's only a prototype chances are we won't, but if it's successful then we might have multiplayer as an option. :)

24. Terrabite

Terrabite

25. cripz4evah

cripz4evah

what other games have use made

26. Terrabite

Terrabite

None, this is our first game as a team. :)

27. Kelde

Kelde

Avery Coleman AND Justin Albers as concept artists??

dude u guys must have a nice budget, certainly not the names the average indie can afford, Coleman is a beast, the only reason I ordered the Darksiders 2 Artbook!

This looks amazing, hopefully we get to see Avery work on some concepts,hint hint!

28. Terrabite

Terrabite

@Kelde: The best part is about the project is that everyone is working on their own free time and doing it out of passion. We have no plans to make/spend any money and we have these awesome concept artists because they're good friends of ours (some of us used to work at Vigil together and still work together) :)

Good news, Avery will be streaming sometime soon! :D

29. Terrabite

Terrabite

Tiny update of the last two ships. Onto texturing! :)

30. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Looking awesome Maddy! Can't wait to see the animations :) Btw are you coding it as well?

31. Terrabite

Terrabite

@lildragn: Thanks! I'm only working on some of the 3d character models and textures - we'll be having a programmer code it. :)

32. Terrabite

Terrabite

33. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

This is Stunning. Looking forward to more.

34. Foestar

Foestar

Screw the lady with the big claws, the big gun guy in the hood is wicked! Awesome stuff!

35. MRmunch360

MRmunch360

Nice artwork!! Cant wait for this ,keep an eye on this one everyone!

36. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thank you guys! :D

Avery will be streaming in less than an hour! Join us and get a *special teaser* of something epic he's been cooking up + parasites! Yum.

http://www.twitch.tv/blubberbusters

37. Kelde

Kelde

WAs watching the whole thing, huge fan of Avery and finally got to see how he works,thanks alot guys! I wish i still did pencil and scanned first, maybe ill pick that up, seems like a good help to have the base first and just PAINT ion photoshop.

Keep it up guys, huge fan of urs now:)

38. Pastywhite

Pastywhite

Everything about this title has been jaw dropping since it was first announced. Can't wait 'til it comes out.

39. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thank you so much guys! :D

We'd like to share with you the final level 1 concept, the menu music and some renders of the space whale sculpt. Next up are some call out sketches for additional elements to make some platforms to jump on (like dead surgeons…) Enjoy!

Chris Christodoulou is responsible for this awesome track, btw. Check it out at the link below!

https://soundcloud.com/chrischristodouloumusic/blubber-busters-1

40. Kelde

Kelde

And u got the guy who did the music for Risk of Rain....this project already won planet earth.

41. Terrabite

Terrabite

42. PixelNAUTS_Alex

PixelNAUTS_Alex

Just awesome! Love the art and style!! Looking forward to more updates and the game.

43. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks a lot! :)

It's been a long time since our last update, but we've finally got a full team! Soon, we can start posting the meat of the game. Yum.
    We've got some concept work for various pits of death and the final version of Parasite Phil from Avery's livestream, some block in animations for Rudy, and a spaceship.

We're excited to share more with you guys soon. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  44. Terrabite

Terrabite

45. Terrabite

Terrabite

Hey guys, new update coming soon - but in the meantime, our VFX artist has a question you might be able to answer:

Can I keyframe a given particle's width and height individually? As opposed to using Stretched Billboard and trying to noodle the speed scaling.

If anyone can answer this, please do! And thanks ahead of time! :)

46. Terrabite

Terrabite

It's been a while since our last update because we've been tinkering with our gameplay mechanics and level layout. Paul will be talking about some of our gameplay and we have some new media to share with you. Enjoy!

(Spitter parasite concept)

Hi everyone!

My name is Paul and I'm in charge of animation for Blubber Busters. I've also taken up the reins for gameplay design recently as well, so I wanted to give you all an update on what kind of design choices we're making as we push forward on this little prototype!

(Swarmer parsite concepts)

At its heart, Blubber Busters is an arcade run-and-gun shooter that's all about taking down loads of baddies. A lot of us on the team are huge fans of games like Metal Slug, Contra, Super Metroid and Risk of Rain, and we want to take inspiration from our favorite games where we can while still coming up with something fun and unique to call our own.

(Swarmer parasite 3D sculpt)

Plain and simple, we want to make it feel awesome to romp around in the guts of giant space whales. It should be slimy and gross and squishy, right? There will be plenty of environmental elements that can work for you or against you – we're talking blisters that can pop and launch you high into the air, stomach acid pits filled with larvae parasites, or mucus walls that help you get to higher places.

(Early UI design)

Combat is being built to keep you on your toes – We're going for swarms of enemies from all directions. We're still playing with a number of player mechanics, but ideally we're trying to blend mobility and firepower, with a foundation of only a handful of abilities. Hopefully we'll have something to show in terms of combat examples in the near future!

(Space trash concepts)

I've always been the most interested in designing experiences that have a proper heartbeat to them – I like games that have clear punctuation to their action and exploration. Too much of one or the other ends up feeling a bit stale and seeing as how Blubber Busters will definitely be high-action, I'm doing my best to create a nice balance that will feel exciting without being repetitive or exhausting. I'm looking forward to sharing more with you guys as we get further along!

(Melee parasite 3D model)

And finally, here's a little bonus video of some early testing with our layout and 2.5D assets. We can't wait to share more with you guys again. We hope you like!

47. NomadKing

NomadKing

I could stare at this artwork all day long :)

48. Terrabite

Terrabite

Thanks NomadKing! :D

Here's the model if anyone's interested in seeing a turn around. More to come soon!

49. FBTH

FBTH

Incredible!!! I was just looking at the work over at Deviant art, then come here, and I see the post. Strange xD
    Will be following this!

50. NomadKing

NomadKing

And now I love SketchFab. Some very nice texture work right there!