Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Block'd - Tumbling block platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Legit Tactical, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Hey there. I felt like showing a project I just started working on.

I've always wanted to get into game development but whenever I tried I always stopped halfway through a project. Mostly due to scope and feature creep issues.

So, I decided to limit my scope and start with something simple. I decided on a platformer that will have about 5 levels and static obstacles to avoid. Not worrying about enemies, powerups, or that much art. Going with a minimalist approach to it all.

What makes the game difficult is the fact that the block tumbles so you have to take the position of the block and the speed into account while jumping or else you'll overshoot the target or miss entirely.

So, after about a 2 hours of working this is what I came up with!

Tell me what you think!

First prototype - basic movement and jumping.

Refined prototype - Refined the movement and made the cube a little slower, fixed the jumping and also added platforms to test the basic gameplay

NOTE: Any framerate drop in the videos is due to recording with FRAPs (Man I need a new screen recorder)

2. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I started working on a main menu. I have to say that I like the UI tools in Unity 4.6

3. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I took a break after spending an hour messing with the UI tools (They're so fun :) ) I also sketched a few menu concepts.

In the end it seems I ended up with the most basic one. Haha

4. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I'm starting to work on the design of the levels.

The game will have 10 levels in total and they'll get increasingly more difficult with the last one being the hardest. Well that's the plan anyway.

I don't know whether I'll have coins to collect or not, hah. Just completing the levels will be hard enough.

5. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I changed the camera angle because I thought that this way the player will have a good gauge of distance between the platforms.

I also created some of the levels. Though I don't have pictures of those yet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

If you need a new recording software, use Open Broadcast Software. It's faster than most things because it's made for streaming rather than recording, but it also does record videos for you.

7. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out when I get the chance.

8. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I tested and added in ramps with a 0 friction physics material.

9. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Haven't been working on the game alot recently. I just started working on the 3rd level actually.

10. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

If you drop this, I'd love to pick it back up for you. I think it's a cool idea.

11. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

I don't plan on dropping it. It's just that school got in the way and the files got corrupted. (I didn't back them up)

12. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I was just saying.

13. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Oh haha no worries.

My plan is to have about 5 - 10 levels and put it on Kongregate. It was initially meant to be a small prototype. I challenged my self to make something in two weeks no matter what it is. Even though it's going on the third week I hope to have it done by Sunday.

It's very barebones and depending on how well it's received I might expand upon it and turn it into a sort of physics based puzzle platformer. If that doesn't pan out I might just move onto another project.

I'm really just trying to get my feet wet when it comes to actually developing and releasing a game. Most of the feedback I've got from people is that it's innovative and fun to play.

14. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Neat concept. Simple. I kind of want to try it.

15. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Thanks!

16. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical

Got back to working! I decided that I'd just make a small 5 level game and release it on Kongregate.

Currently working on level 3. It has the same starting ramp jump as the second level but the distance is longer and you really need to have speed and time your jumps correctly.

17. Legit Tactical

Legit Tactical