Search Unity

Blender scripts available: export specified layers or use *.blends as asset libraries

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by eelstork, Oct 26, 2014.

1. eelstork

eelstork

Hi guys.

Releasing scripts to give more flexibility when exporting from Blender.

Layers in Blender are often used to keep stuff out of the way, like unfinished assets or unused variants. So I wrote a script to [export only specified layers].

Keeping several models in the same blend file is convenient, since this doesn't play nicely with Unity, here's a script for [exporting objects to separate files].

I hope the links are working.

Above scripts are free. Copy either script to a text window inside blender, choose meaningful parameters and select Run Script to use. Of course an add-on would be more slick... and I may write one yet, however in their current form these scripts are (in my opinion) more accessible (to those with little/no blender py xp).

Known issue: ignored objects cannot affect modifier stacks. A fix would be helpful with boolean ops. I'll take care of this sometimes.

Just let me know if you need anything and if it makes half sense I may add it later.

Show your love by following Blendersaurus or my personal blog.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Thanks but isn't this easy to do in Blender? Just select your layer, press "a" until everything is selected then export selected. Or do I not understand what your script is doing?

3. eelstork

eelstork

If you're happy doing this over and over, you don't need either script. But maybe you wouldn't want to manually process a file that has 5 or 50 items? Then the second script can help you.

These scripts aren't automating difficult tasks, they are automating tasks that are tedious to do manually. I do many small updates to our level files every day. So, I wanted these to save me the trouble.
    And I will be even happier when they automatically run whenever I save my blends.