Search Unity

Blank Game View

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SteveJ, Aug 3, 2016.

1. gegagome

gegagome

Awesome, can't wait!

And will let you know as soon as you dropped the fix.

Thanks guys!

2. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

Hey just wanted to add here that for us, we have been getting this issue, and even after using the work-around it still happens (but maybe less frequently). Will try again with 5.4.1p2 as soon as its available, but just wanted to let you know that the workaround didnt work 100% here.

3. syscrusher

syscrusher

I've got some further information that I think may be related.

In 5.4.0f3, using a separate game window (dragged outside the editor) on a separate monitor is very badly broken. I thought I was having problems with a UI asset that I'm using, but I did some further testing and found that it's broken even with Unity's own UI widgets.

The symptom is that the scaling goes all wonky if you are using free aspect ratio. It's mostly okay if you select a fixed aspect ratio or absolute pixel size from the game window's title bar -- but I saw a few problems even there.

This is on a Macbook Pro Retina as the primary screen, running the Unity editor, with the game window on a separate 1080p monitor.

I can't replicate the problem if the game window is docked inside the editor.

What I'm hoping is that this is just another manifestation of the same bug, and therefore already has a patch in the pipeline, but I thought I should let you know.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I can reliably replicate this with the game window scale set to 1.0.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Shushustorm likes this.
  4. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Still S***ty S*** in 5.4.1f1 ElCapitan + Sierra :(

5. syscrusher

syscrusher

Another glitch yesterday was that I got the corrupted window multiple times, and also a new one...corrupted fonts within an otherwise okay window. Here's a couple of screen shots.

I'm not intending this post to complain, as I know the Unity folks are already working hard on the issue. I'm a programmer myself, and I know that extra data is better than not enough, so I wanted to share what I have. :)

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 10.32.39 .png Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 10.33.10 .png Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 17.09.58 .png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

W00t, super excited to hear there's a potential/likely fix ready to go -- thanks a bunch for the update @Juho_Oravainen -- can't wait to get my hands on it!

I've been checking this thread 2-4x per day since the issue began and I'm seriously thrilled to hopefully have the issue put to rest; am also very happy we chose to go with Unity overall, and the support of the UT devs, especially on an issue like this, just furthers my belief in that.

Thank you @UT -- will definitely report back with findings as soon as the patch drops! :)

syscrusher likes this.
  7. syscrusher

syscrusher

Aaaaand...... Maximize on Play setting is a no-op for me on the second monitor, including in Free Aspect mode. Again, works fine if I put the game window inside the Unity editor on the primary screen. Again, just adding to the data pool, not meaning to complain. Apologies if the UT team already knew about this symptom.

8. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Here's some more information from me, too:
    When building a project with the feature "resizable window" activated, there will be artifacts when resizing the window, too. I'd just wanted to share some screenshots as those artifacts look very much like the ones I get in the Editor occasionally.
    The only difference is that when resizing the window of the player, I can reproduce it consistently.
    While I really don't know if those two issues are related or whether or not the resizing artifacts are to be expected, I attached some screenshots to this post.

Attached Files:

syscrusher likes this.
  9. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm getting results similar to yours. See my prior post; I figured out that the "image" menu isn't actually the right way to do images, and instead you use the "more options..." and then upload files. Whodathunkit?

For me, sometimes resizing causes the problem, as you describe, but sometimes it temporarily fixes it.

Shushustorm likes this.
  10. mchamplain

mchamplain

Until this get fixed...
    Got tired of running this "-force-gfx-direct" workaround as a command line, I created a new script with OSX "Script Editor":

do shell script "open /Applications/Unity/Unity.app --args -force-gfx-direct"

then File -> Export and choose "Application" for the file format.
    (yeah, I know, I'm lazy :p)

LoadingHome and syscrusher like this.
  11. gegagome

gegagome

12. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be fixed in 5.4.1p1 or if the fix is going to be in p2, but this still happens in 5.4.1p1:
    screenshot.jpg

I still have to restart Unity when this happens.
    When trying to close the tab that has become grey, the error shows up.

13. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov

Tired of that problem. The same thing happens on my Mac about 30 times a day.
    MacOS El Capitan + Sierra, 5.4.1p1

14. codeage

codeage

This bug has been fixed in 5.4.1p2 :D
    upload_2016-9-23_11-37-0.png

Kronnect likes this.
  15. Juho_Oravainen

Juho_Oravainen

Unity Technologies

Yes, 5.4.1p2 is finally out and the fix is in there as I promised earlier.
    Now, please try it out and report here your experiences. It was very random and difficult bug to reproduce on our side so we really need validation for the fix from you who ran into it more frequently.

There has also been some mentions in this thread about other issues that you think might be related. Please try out those cases again as well. However, if those issues still persist please file separate bugs for them.

Buhlaine and Shushustorm like this.
  16. syscrusher

syscrusher

Downloaded and installed 5.4.1p2 last night. I won't get a chance to try it out with two monitors until Sunday. Thanks again to UT team for aggressively attacking this bug!

17. gegagome

gegagome

Fixed

Been running 5.4.1 p2 since yesterday morning and no more blank game window.

I will update but it seems like the issue is gone!

Thanks UT

18. hanman

hanman

hi, sorry Im new but where exactly do i get the new upgrade 5.4.1 p2?

19. mikael_juhala

mikael_juhala

20. PaulOllivier

PaulOllivier

Hi, I'm having the same kind of issue with OS X / Unity 5.4.1f1. It's only the asset store that's not displaying anything. I managed to load a console, the elements of the web page are actually loaded. They just don't show!

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have not had the blank game window problem since the patch release, but UGUI components are still misbehaving badly in a resizable game window that is detached from the main editor, especially if it's on my secondary monitor. My theory of what's going wrong is that Unity is reporting the DPI from my primary display (2880x1800 Macbook Retina) to the UGUI system even when the game window is actually on the external 1920x1080 external monitor. The size of the components is consistently too large, and by approximately the right ratio. When I resize the window, it temporarily corrects itself until I do something else such as enter play mode.

Shushustorm likes this.
  22. Gru

Gru

I have had similar issue like screenshot03 on Windows 7. After installing p3 I have not noticed the issue. There seems to be a bit of flickering for a moment when resizing the scene view, not sure if it was there before.

syscrusher and Shushustorm like this.
  23. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

For me, since 5.4.1p2 the blank game view issue seems to be solved.
    Thanks for fixing!

24. Gru

Gru

Unfortunately I have found the black flicker again. This is how it looks on mine:

If I resize the Scene tab vertically really slowly, it may happen only on certain sizes. So, if I move it pixel by pixel and stop when I see a black screen it will stay like this. If I continue resizing, just for a pixel, it will go away.

Unity 5.4.1.p3, Windows x64.

25. syscrusher

syscrusher

I found a problem with two of my purchased editor extensions where mouse click raycasts in the scene view are hitting nowhere near the cursor position. The developer of one of the assets suggested that this may be fixed in 5.4.1p3, so I am downloading that one now. I hope it will fix my scene view issues as well as the GUI size issues in game view, because the relevant release note is for a transformation matrix problem.

EDIT: The raycast problem is not fixed. I will test my UGUI issues later.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  26. syscrusher

syscrusher

Test report from 5.4.1p3: The good, the bad, and the ugly.
    • The blank game window has been gone for me since 5.4.1p2, as you predicted, and 5.4.1p3 did not reintroduce that bug. Hooray!
    • The problem I had with corrupted text in UGUI widgets appears, so far, to have been fixed.
    • UGUI sizing in free-aspect game windows now seems to work correctly if the game window is either docked into the Unity editor, or if it is a separate popup but is on the same (primary) physical monitor.
    • If the game window is a separate popup on the secondary physical monitor, the canvas scaling is way too large when in edit mode. In play mode, it initially jumps to correct size as the game starts, but may leap back to the magnified version if the free aspect window is resized.
    • In edit mode, I can get the canvas to scale properly in a detached game window on the second monitor if I resize that window, but the moment I try to do anything in the editor, it snaps back to the wrong size.
    • The ratio of wrong size to right size is approximately the same as the ratio of resolutions for my primary display and secondary display.
    • So far, I have only observed this problem with UGUI widgets, not with OnGUI() widgets. I am almost 100% convinced it is a canvas scaling issue.
    • Placing the detached game window into a fixed aspect ratio is a workaround for the bug, but an annoying one.
    • With the game window detached on the second monitor, certain calculations in the camera controller are wonky in 5.4.1p3 but were correct in 5.4.1p2. I'm using Opsive's Third Person Controller, and I suspect they may have had code to work around the pre-p3 bug. I'll file a report with Opsive to let them know about this. I mention it here because
    Environment: Primary display is Macbook Pro Retina, 2880x1800. Secondary display is HDMI 1080p external monitor. Unity 5.4.1p3.

27. Gru

Gru

I have to re-open this thread because this issue is not fixed for me. I am using 5.4.2f2 on Windows 7 x64. The symptoms are the same as before: when resizing the game or scene view, and when they are both tabs on the same "panel", the view from the current one is not refreshed and the content from the other one is shown.

Here you can see the game view that is not fully refreshed and is showing the scene view in the background. This happens on enter/exit play mode and resizing. Doesn't always happen but I can reproduce it within 30 seconds while doing the above mentioned.

If you want more info let me know. The game view is supposed to be black in this case, that's OK. The problem is the scene view showing to the right.

This bug has been active for a couple of months now for me. If it's a different bug please let me know to open a new thread. This makes working with the engine very irritating every time the game view is resized.

28. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Those aren't the same symptoms as what we've been experiencing on the Mac (which was an occasional complete blanking out of the game view, including the tab bar and options widgets, while the game is playing within the editor).

So I suggest opening a new thread.

syscrusher likes this.
  29. syscrusher

syscrusher

I think it's a different bug. My advice would be to file a bug report using the Help...Report a bug... menu option from within Unity. Try to replicate the error in a very small project so you can upload it with the bug report. Then open a forum thread and link the bug report from the forum so others can append their experiences.

30. syscrusher

syscrusher

Speaking of which, I opened my own bug report last week (#847387) for the issues with incorrect screen transforms, after consulting with Philip Cosgrave (one of UT's UGUI wizards) at Unite.

31. novaVision

novaVision

Still got a trouble with detached monitor on Mac Sierra. Seems they will not fix that trouble ever

32. pauldrummond

pauldrummond

I'm still getting the same blank scene and game view with Unity 5.5.0f3. I'm using Mac OS 10.12.1.

Update: I can't use Unity at all now. The scene, game and other views are completely blank. I've tried starting from the command line with the -force-gfx-direct argument, changing layouts and even starting the app in low-resolution mode. Nothing works. The console is full of 'releasing render texture that is set to be RenderTexture.active' errors.

I tried creating a new empty project and that seems to work. Going back to my work project, I manually removed assets from the project folder and restarted Unity. Now I can see the scene view, so will try adding assets one at a time until something breaks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  33. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What you're describing is not the same bug as in this thread. It's something completely different — based on your last observation above, I would guess that it's some 3rd-party editor extension. Please let us know when you find it!

34. dannykay

dannykay

I'm not like you guys...I'm an end user. Running the latest Mac OS on a Mac Pro running Safari (latest version).. Just to let you know that the blanking problem has affected commercial customers. I use the configurator on the Porsche web site to build a 3 dimensional model of a car. It's immensely helpful, however this blanking thing has been going on for so long that potential buyers, like myself, are going to other car manufacturer's whose 3D rendition works. It's very frustrating especially since I know nothing about how to fix it other than downloading a new Unity web player (which hasn't changed). I know Porsche has gotten a lot of complaints. But since so few people buy a Porsche and own a Mac compared to those running Windows for them it's not as big a deal. But for us users it's terrible and is really driving away business. I know I'm looking at other car manufacturer's specifically because of this unity issue. For those of us that don't know code you've left us hanging out there. Sooner or later Porsche will also become fed up. Thank you.

35. khitjuan2629

khitjuan2629

IMG_0495.JPG Hello everyone on this 2016 thread!

Its my first time building a mobile game and I encountered this issue on my phone. I think it shows my battery level with an icon of my clock. Is there a fix on this? Thanks!