Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bing-Go! 3d platformer inspired by n64 classics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by j1e3s5, Dec 9, 2014.

1. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

hello everyone :) i have been working on bing-go on and off for a little bit now and wanted to showcase a little bit of what i have so far, also i wanted to get everyones opinion on it and if anyone thinks 3d platformers are still fun :) any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

bing-go is going to be a 3d platformer inspired by n64 classics such as banjo kazooie and tooie, conkers bad fur day, super mario 64, ect. it will have puzzles to solve, enemies to destroy, animals to save and collect, and jumping, lots of jumping. :) im planning on making it a collectathon game so more similar to banjo kazooie theme rather than super mario 64.

the storyline so far has bing the bear seeking out the villager animals from his town, smallsville, because the zombie lord has kidnapped them :) im planning on making it so their are multiple villagers per world. and plan on having 4 themed worlds, with 1 hubworld, smallsvile. the currently planned themed worlds are in order as followed.

1. a pirate themed world
    2. a spooky graveyard themed world
    3. a snow themed world
    4. the zombie lords castle, zombie themed castle/world.
    heres a video of smallsville from about a month or 2 ago if screenshots are not enough :)

some screenshots of smallsville at the moment :)

so what do you all think? do you all wish 3d platformers were still around as much as i do? i know i miss banjo kazooie and many others such as donkey kong 64, and conkers bad fur day. i plan to take inspiration from these many wonderful games but work them into my own in a unique way, for instance i loved how banjo kazooie let you transform into various things to solve puzzles, i plan to have something similar in bing-go, at the very least you will be able to transform into a few creatures :)

also, do you think combat should play a big feature? i know old school 3d platformers were more about exploring and collecting, but recently "a hat in time" a very promising looking 3d platformer coming out soon, said they were planning to make combat play a much bigger role in their game, what do you guys think? thanks for checking bing-go out! :)

NareshKhandla likes this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This looks much more like an adventure game than a platformer. It looks good though!

3. ketchup_scaredcrow

ketchup_scaredcrow

I get that you're going for the Banjo-Kazooie thing but take away the noises when they talk. That was sooo annoying in Banjo-Kazooie. If you wanna do something similar just have them make one sound at the beginning of that section of dialogue or it's going to be worn out fast. Also I recommend taking away that text box when there is no text. Looks like your camera is a little shaky too when you turn. Platformers are my favorite type of game and I would like to see this one finished, I like the character and the classic N64 look with the environment. Keep it up.

4. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

thanks for the comments everyone :), also after thinking it over some more, i believe there will be 6 worlds and a hubworld. the worlds will be as ordered.

hubworld - smallsville

1 sunny plains world. a grassy open meadowy kinda happy go lucky world.
    2 pirate world - a pirate island
    3 graveyard world - a spooky graveyard world filled with ghosts and skeletons
    4 snow world - a ice filled world with wolves and snowmen as enemys.
    5 wild west world - a desert filled world with cactus and cowboys and indians
    6 zombie lords castle - the final world with the zombie lord.

5. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

update, started working on the first world, the grassy/sunny plains world :) sunshine and happiness everywhere! :p

some screenshots of it so far :)

6. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

7. carking1996

carking1996

Voted yes.

8. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

thank you so much dude! :) every vote helps :)

9. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

not anything new really, but i made a new image for the steam page and i kinda like it :) the other one was too white and dull people said, i hope this one stands out more and gets peoples attention! :) also it has a sneak peak at the zombie king :p

10. Pawl

Pawl

+1 for 3D platformer; gave you my vote!