Search Unity

Big Environment Pack [available]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. shwa

shwa

Update 1.2 is Great!

Jacal is a very talented creator.

bbohy44 likes this.
  2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks, and you are welcome to do so!

lars

3. Jacal

Jacal

@shwa: Thanks, i really appreciate it.

@larsbertram1:nice thanks again.

4. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Think you might particularly enjoy this video.. ;)

5. Jacal

Jacal

@brilliantgames: Nice work mate !

6. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Jacal,

I'm trying to update the pack but I always get the following error:
    Error while importing package: Couldn't create asset Assets/BIG_Environment_Pack/Environment/Vegetation/Flowers/Daisies/Prefabs/daisy.prefab
    There is already an asset at Assets/BIG_Environment_Pack/Environment/Vegetation/Flowers/Daisies/Prefabs/daisy.prefab

I already tried to remove the package from my asset store cache and redownload and import but no luck.

Any suggestion? Maybe contact Unity and ask if they check to see the package isn't corrupt?

7. Jacal

Jacal

@cygnusprojects: I've sent you a pm.

8. holger53

holger53

Jacal,

are there plans to update to Unity 4.0 later?

If yes, what will the update cost if I buy now (for Version 3.5)?

9. Jacal

Jacal

@holger53: Future updates are still possible depending on the demand.
    With the purchase of the Big Environment Pack, all future updates are free.

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Could you maybe package up one of those scenes as a standalone executable (Windows and Mac) so I can see what they look like without buying the package?

11. napster

napster

Wowww what a environments...Good work !

12. shwa

shwa

I love the big enviro pack. Having it work in 4.0 would be very useful.
    (I'm guessing it will work without updating, but i don't know for sure.)

13. Jacal

Jacal

@SevenBits: I'm currently extremely busy, maybe later.

@napster: Thanks man :)

@shwa:Cheers my friend, the Big Enviro Pack will work in Unity 4.0

14. shwa

shwa

Great!

15. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Don't know if you've been looking into this yet, but it seems the Dif_Nor_Spec shader doesn't work in Unity 4 anymore. Do you know if there's a replacement available? I wish Unity would just have its own shader that handles a separate specularity map instead of embedding it in the alpha of the diffuse bitmap... it seems like no one ever does it that way; every model i see has a separate bitmap for spec map.

Edit: If I could make a suggestion, I just found this:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/124672-Alpha-Merging-Substance

That would let you use a separate bitmap for your spec map like you currently have, but give you the benefit of merging it automatically into the diffuse alpha channel (for a performance boost) and it's based on Unity's built in Bumped Diffuse shader (so it should remain compatible for the future and doesn't need custom shader code).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  16. Jacal

Jacal

@makeshiftwings: Thats strange, I've tested it again right know and the shader works perfectly for me in version 4.0.
    Tested on Mac and PC.
    You could Dropbox me a link so i can take a look.

17. Jaimi

Jaimi

Why? So you can use 50% more texture ram for no gain? Convenient while testing, sure, but 50% gain in texture usages seems extreme. I wrote an application a long time ago to embed these, if anyone is interested, I can dig it up. but I think there may be better ones around somewhere.

18. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Yes, the "gain" is that I don't need to spend hours manually converting all the spec maps to make Unity happy :p If Unity really wants to force people to use the embedded alpha channel then they should merge it at load time, like the substance I linked does. Any workflow that includes "Then you take your hundreds of models from the asset store, go into Photoshop, and click copy/paste a million times" is a bad workflow. I understand the performance gain, but if they're going to force it that way, they should stop letting people put assets on the asset store with separate spec maps, because I've never seen anyone actually merge the maps on their own. Even with programs or substances to somewhat automate it, it's still a pain in the ass to go through and change every single material on every single model. Take this pack for instance; there are approximately 50 bajillion different trees; I don't want to manually change the materials and merge the maps on every single one.

I'll take a look and see if I can get it working; maybe it got imported incorrectly when I upgraded my project to 4.0. Currently it just renders solid black for anything using Dif_Nor_Spec. I assumed it was broken for everyone, but apparently not.

19. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I see the problem... I was running in DirectX 11 mode. When I switched back to DirectX 9 mode it worked fine.

Should it work in DX11 mode though? I'm still not really clear on what DX11 mode means for older shaders.

20. Jacal

Jacal

@makeshiftwings:You're right the shader doesn't work in DX11 mode, I'll fix that soon as possible.
    Thanks for pointing that out :).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Whatever works for you of course, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But if in the end, you find yourself needing to recoup that 50% texture increase and your scene is stuttering, and you really do have 50 bajillion different materials, you could of course write a script to embed it, or use one of the different batch utilities to do it for you. I like having a separate shader also, but just while I am working things out.

22. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Or Unity could do it for me, which would solve everyone's problems. That's why we pay them the big $$$. Well, the medium-sized $$$ at least. Anyway, I don't want to derail Jacal's thread anymore than we already have. ;)

23. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

thanks its really nice . +1

24. hellcaller

hellcaller

this pack is unbelievable...

25. alimpo83

alimpo83

This is commercial game quality. It's top notch, AAA quality, fantastic!

26. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yeah, I agree, certainly very nice.

27. Jacal

Jacal

@hellcaller: Thanks man, I'm glad you like it :)
    @alimpo83: Thanks a lot, :) I appreciate it very much.
    @SevenBits: Thank you :)

28. Jacal

Jacal

A little info:

I've reworked all materials, the pack is now complete DX11 ready but still available for 3.5 users.
    I'll upload the new update directly to the AssetStore when Unity 4 is coming out.

29. zipper

zipper

Hi, your pack is awesome! Purchased and loving it !!

I have a simple question - how can replace a prefabs texture? For example, i want to use Beech_03 with with two sets of modified textures.

I know this is probably a pretty simple thing, but i am very new to editing trees.

thanks,
    zipper

30. Jacal

Jacal

@zipper: Thanks I'm glad you like it :), you have to create a new material and add it to the the leafs section in the tree creator, you could also create new leaf mesh in you 3d app and add it as mesh.

$Unbenannt.JPG

31. zipper

zipper

Hi Jacal,

Thank you for the prompt reply! Sorry i was not clear.

Specifically, i want to create a duplicate of the "Optimized Bark Material" and "Optimized Leaf Material" for the Beech_08 tree prefab so i can assign a modified texture to the materials. However, i cannot seem to break the prefab to get to the materials, and i do not see the materials listed seperately.

Best,
    zipper

32. atmuc

atmuc

@Jacal do you plan to be in Asset Store Madness? or release a winter theme?

33. zipper

zipper

Ahhh,

Bergzerg showed me the way..

You need to create a duplicate of a branch - and apply the modified material to the branch, then assign the branch mesh to the leaves in Treecreator where you indicated. I know rtfm....

Super!
    zipper

34. Jacal

Jacal

@zipper: Thats great, nice to hear that the problem is solved. :)

@atmuc: 95.00 $ for the Big Environment Pack is already a permanent madness, :) never say never, but at the moment there no plans for a madness.
    >or release a winter theme?> Yes, thats possible in the near future.

35. zipper

zipper

After going through all the assets in this package, i am surprised that it was only $95. It's easily worth twice that.

Jascal is right, it's always been at madness price.

zipper

36. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Wow this looks great! did you initially plan on building a game with this? Going to buy for sure.
    Have you thought of making a tropical, a desert and a snow landscape as well?

37. Jacal

Jacal

@DesertRaven: Thanks man :) Yes, I'm already working on new content for the AssetStore, this could be on of these settings, ;)
    Making a game is one of my biggest dreams but I don't have the time and the money now.

38. Mihai93

Mihai93

hey i see on asset store is version 1.3 i downloading it now what is new?

39. SevenBits

SevenBits

Probably Unity 4 compatibility.

40. Jacal

Jacal

Yes, SevenBits is right I've changed the materials to make it DX11 compatible.

41. Mihai93

Mihai93

Ok but why where is direct11 on unity 4 i dont found it nowere to me tell DirectX 7 not 11

42. Nevulus

Nevulus

Running Win 8 and Win 7, Unity v4.0.0f7 Pro Trial.

I have used this package successfully before on 3.5, since recently coming back I decided to use this asset in order to determine if I want to upgrade to Unity Pro, but I am unable to successfully render/compile the scenes. I tried importing from store again, I triedmanually copying and pasting the asset package to my project. I was able to run the older version of the asset on Unity 4, but not the new version on Unity Pro Trial with without Directx11 enabled.

Too many errors to list them all:
    Shader error in 'Hidden/SSAO': Shader program had errors at lines 63, 92, 127, 173, 246.

I am going to try to re-download the asset on a Win 7 machine running Unity 4 (non pro)

*importing the new image effects (pro only) resolved the issue.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  43. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This is why UT should tell asset sellers to stop shiping Standard Assets folder.

44. Jacal

Jacal

@Nevulus: These are the Unity Pro standard Image Effects, this can be easy fixed by deleting the Image Effects Folder under: Standard Assest / Image Effects (pro only), and update the new Image Effects under: Unity AssetStore / Import / Image Effects (Pro only).

I'm sorry for the complications but I wanted to stay compatible with Unity 3.5 users.

45. Nevulus

Nevulus

Fixed. Thank you

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  46. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey man. Just wanted to say I continue to find uses for your wonderful artwork. One of your maps was yet again featured in my latest video. Its a new pathfinding engine I have been working on for a long time. Check it out.

47. Jacal

Jacal

@Nevulus:perfect, good to hear .

48. Jacal

Jacal

@brilliantgames:Thats Impressive!, you're doing a really good job. I'm glad that you find uses for my work. :)
    My next pack coming very soon :)

49. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Awesome cant wait bud. Any hint as to what it might be..? ;)

50. Jacal

Jacal

@brilliantgames: It's the sequel of the BEP, I'll be posting a vid of it very soon. ;)