Search Unity

big ass bug

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by smitchell, Mar 23, 2015.

1. smitchell

smitchell

Hey guys,

I found a really big bug with Unity Ads on my game.

So my game is portrait, if I launch a add then turn my phone landscape and then turn it back to portrait the ad disappears leaving the game stretched in a landscape mode, but the game is still paused so the user it forced to quit the game.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

georgepiva likes this.
  2. Salazar

Salazar

Hello @smitchell ,

Its not a bug actually, you have all controls with unity3d with screen orientation and also you have an option in Unity Ads developer console;

"Change video orientation according to device (Forced to landscape by default)"

Its something that developer should handle.

Regards,

3. smitchell

smitchell

it's not a bug? really? I'm not sure if you understand what I mean then.

I'm aware you have control over the orientation of the game within engine, and I'm aware about locking orientation for the ads..

The issue is when I do not lock orientation for the ads; if the ad starts in portrait (which is the orientation of my game) and I then put my phone landscape and the ad adjusts and then I return it to portrait while the ad is still playing then the ad disappears and game is then visible again but the game is frozen as if the ad is still present. Please just test this real quick on your end, i'd say test it on my game but I had to lock the orientation of the ads since users were complaining about it.

Cheers.

Salazar likes this.
  4. georgepiva

georgepiva

The same bug happens when the application was sent to the background while an advertising is playing. When the app returns to the foreground the advertising was closed and the game is paused forever. The resultCallback of the Advertisement.Show (...) method is never called (tested on iOS 8). We need a fix for it.

5. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

Thanks for informing us about these bugs. The background + missing callback is being currently fixed.

I'll ask our SDK guys to chime in about the landscape/portrait locking thing.

Cheers,
    Heikki

georgepiva and Salazar like this.
  6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I got this one testing my game today....

Waiting for a fix.

georgepiva likes this.
  7. georgepiva

georgepiva

@HeikkiTunkelo Please let us know when the background + missing callback bug is fixed and when the new Unity Ads package will be able to be downloaded from the Asset Store. Thanks in advance.

Salazar likes this.
  8. astrocrow

astrocrow

I am getting the same bug when testing my game on my iPhone. Once the ad is playing, if you rotate the device and then rotate back, the whole thing is frozen. It also happens if you rotate the device during the ad (but don't rotate back to its original position), then close the video or ad image. Additionally, if you are using any Unity UI elements on iOS, once the game freezes, you see doubled flipped images of the UI elements and they flicker wildly. Let it run for too long, and the app will no longer open (even after clearing it from memory), forcing you to reset the device. Let it run even longer than that, and my device locked up completely. Hope this info helps!

glitchers and xrm0 like this.
  9. Donkey111

Donkey111

@HeikkiTunkelo Any update on the background + missing callback bug? Its really common for users to close the app during an ad, which has the game frozen when they return

10. glitchers

glitchers

I also have the same bug as @astrocrow, it's the only thing holding back our game from being released.

Is there any fix for this or a way we can get access to the source for the iOS implementation to look into fixing this ourselves @HeikkiTunkelo

Right now it looks like we will miss our launch date because of this - please fix this

georgepiva likes this.
  11. phongtt

phongtt

I'm having the same problem as @smitchell

Anyone knows how to fix it yet? Thanks!

12. glitchers

glitchers

I found the source code for the plugin on @HeikkiTunkelo github page - https://github.com/Applifier/unity-ads

The orientation flipping every frame happens after the ad is closed ( after watching the video )

We only support portrait on iOS ( as set in the Project Settings ) but the ad plugin allows landscape for ads. I tried the option to allow portrait ads via the Unity Ads backend but this didn't solve the issue after the video ended - the app just went black and stayed that way until forced to quit.

Any official reply on this would be great - we are waiting to go public because of this bug.

13. xrm0

xrm0

I had this problem (the orientation flipping every frame and freezing the game afterwards). The default orientation setting was fixed to Portrait. I've solved it by doing two things:
    1. Setting Autoration and then only selecting Portrait
    2. Check "Change video orientation according to device" in UnityAds

saygin, phongtt and glitchers like this.
  14. glitchers

glitchers

@xrm0 I made the first change you posted and it has worked. I didn't have to change the orientation settings in the Unity Ads backend.

Thanks @xrm0

saygin and xrm0 like this.
  15. phongtt

phongtt

I followed @xrm0's solution (but only need "1. Setting Autoration and then only selecting Portrait") and the issue is solved! Thanks a lot!

saygin and xrm0 like this.
  16. CPR21

CPR21

I have same issue dealing with Everyplay, will test again :D

17. superjustin5000

superjustin5000

When I set autorotation in unity and only select portrait I get this NSInternalInconsistency Exeption in XCode :
    UnityDefaultViewController should be used only if unity is set to autorotate

NEVER MIND ... PROBLEM SOVLED

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    unity-nikkolai likes this.
  18. rswlkr

rswlkr

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  19. demonpants

demonpants

20. Coach Roebuck

Coach Roebuck

My situation sucks!!! I'm experiencing the behavior described in that link. My wife actually discovered this bug just now. I have been forced to disable the ads. I'll update my version of Unity3D and the Unity3D ads framework tomorrow. I

I had to modify the iOS-generated source code to resolve a separate build error a few weeks ago, and thereafter reported a bug. Now we have to deal with this. Not the least bit happy.

21. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Salazar likes this.