Search Unity

Best Global Leaderboard Asset?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by luniac, May 21, 2015.

1. luniac

luniac

My game currently uses facebook scores to create a leaderboard among facebook friends.

I am interested however in creating a global leaderboard.

I've looked on the asset store and they all seem to have similar ratings, and a bit vague in exactly how to implement.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I do have my own website so i could technically host a database or w/e...

I'm trying to MINIMIZE CODING as much as possible. The more the plugin can automate for me the better.

I keep my score in a playerprefs variable. For facebook i simply supply the stored variable into the postscores() function and the plugin i use updates the score on facebook and all friends can see the update.

Something equally similar for global leaderboard would be very welcome.

Can google play game service leaderboard cover what i need?
    I'm uncertain but does the user HAVE TO HAVE a google+ account for that?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. luniac

luniac

anyone? :)

i was thinking of using google play services leaderboard.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. krougeau

krougeau

I haven't started using it yet, but Dreamlo looks good, and it's free (can't beat that, right?).

4. luniac

luniac

oh yea i saw this before, im such a noob though i don't even know what http get requests are.
    And then having to manually build the leaderboard after getting scores also bothers me.
    Also what if different users got the same name and try to modify scores, it would get messy.

The reason i wanted to use google play services is because they handle all the user stuff through their log in system.
    I can set up the leaderboard on google play developer console mostly without any coding trickery.
    I can get a plugin that wraps all the web functions into functions that make more sense to me, and they even have a BuildLeaderboards() function that creates a properly formatted leaderboard for me.

The hard part is understanding all of google play services rules, making sure i set everything up correctly. Once i get it right the first time, it'll be easy to repeat the process.

Also I have great faith that googles leaderboard servers won't disappear out of nowhere.

krougeau likes this.
  5. krougeau

krougeau

Haha! Sounds like you've got it all worked out already then :)

6. luniac

luniac

just trying to cover my bases in case i missed something better, thanks for helping though.

krougeau likes this.