Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best 2D Platformer Packages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Callski, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Callski

Callski

2. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I doubt anyone has all three to judge the asset. Honestly, I think that Unity's is very good. It only takes about a few lines of code to add double jump, ladder support, and even sliding.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I haven't bought any of those examples, but I've checked their store pages.

The first reference has good reviews. The author's website has documentation and links to several YouTube videos.

The second reference has one review and it isn't very positive. The author's website has nothing related to the asset.

The third reference is not a generic platformer engine. It is geared specifically for one style of game. It has a single review with very little details and the author's website is not in English.

The first one looks like a candidate to try out, but the other two should probably be ignored.

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Of the three you list only one is a platform asset (one is for runners, the other is 3D models), and I don't think its one of the best.

The best in my (obviously biased opinion) are:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11786 - This is 3D as well, but if your platformer is at all physics based it is a good choice. Very large customer base means that even if the kit doesn't support something someone else has probably added it.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17420 - Its a simple feature set but well done and the developers look committed to improving it.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7381 - My asset (obvious bias), most fully featured platform 2D/2.5D mechanics (ropes, ledge climb, wall slide, etc). The main benefit: because it is completely custom physics based on raycasts, you don't get any of the sliding/weird friction issues you get with Unity Physics based solutions. On the other hand it doesn't have great documentation and can be a bit hard to tweak until you understand it. I try to make up for that with excellent support.

Here's a great example of what you can achieve with 2DPC with some tweaking (note 2DPC is the basis for the movement, all the cool weapon stuff has been added by the developers):

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Callski and Ryiah like this.
  5. Callski

Callski

Thanks Johnny A! That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! :D

6. TheValar

TheValar

My opinion is if you want a rigidbody based conroller go with Acrocatic and if you want a raycast based controller go with 2DPC. This is of course assuming you want a 2d or 2.5 d platformer.

Also @JohnnyA, props for offering/suggesting competing alternatives alongside your own product