Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BeholdR - Image Effects & HDR in your Scene View (TE WYSIWYG)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by asafsitner, Dec 12, 2013.

1. asafsitner

asafsitner

What is BeholdR (formerly TE WYSIWYG)
    BeholdR (pronounced “Beholder”) is a Unity® Editor extension that allow you to see image effects, post processes and HDR effect right in the editor Scene View.

Why BeholdR

When working with Image Effects or HDR, the Scene View – which doesn’t support them – fails to show the final look of the game.
    By enabling Image Effects and HDR in the Scene View, BeholdR saves you the need for a reference Game View, providing you with an accurate and smoother editing experience.

Key Features:
    • Accurate Scene View with Image Effects & HDR
    • Changes in the Inspector update live in the Scene View
    • Link a camera to the scene camera for easier positioning
    • Update all Scene Views simultaneously
    Availability:

Demo:
    http://i.imgur.com/QcgoBcM.gifv

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Aieth

Aieth

Looks great. This is one of the things that has annoyed me for a while now. If I may ask, how did you accomplish this? I had simply assumed that it is not possible to hook into how Unity does scene view rendering.

3. asafsitner

asafsitner

The scene view uses a camera behind the scenes (pun intended), so we could (after doing some serious digging) hook into it.
    The complex side of things was to ensure the live sync, and also to debug this thing with all the different kinds of exotic situations. :D

By the way, it's very enjoyable to look at the scene grid with HDR, AA and glow. Feels like you beat the system. :)

4. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Insanely useful, but there are quite a few scripts for this out there, all for free, though not on the store. 10$ seems high.

5. asafsitner

asafsitner

From what I've dug around, none are as robust, debugged or simple as our solution, and you wouldn't get support for any of them if something funny happens.
    If you'd like to discuss the price point please contact me on email.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. TE_Harel

TE_Harel

Thanks Qt!
    BTW, huge fan!

7. asafsitner

asafsitner

8. SteveB

SteveB

Just purchased this. Definitely worth the money, absolutely.

The synchronization alone is where the value lay, being able to adjust the variables and see them update in both Scene and of course Game views.

Good job man!

-Steven

9. asafsitner

asafsitner

Thank you Steve!
    Glad to hear you found it useful. It's the reason we do this. :)

10. asafsitner

asafsitner

Minor update, confirmed minimum version required to Unity 4.0.0

11. EvilFox

EvilFox

Very cool, been waiting for this asset.

12. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I have this error : Assets/WYSIWYG/WYSIWYG.cs(250,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ColorCorrectionCurves' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

13. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

not to worry, another plugin was causing the problem

14. asafsitner

asafsitner

Glad you found it useful :)

Thanks for letting us know! You got me worried there for a moment. ^_^

15. asafsitner

asafsitner

Hey folks!
    TE WYSIWYG version 2 is out!
    We've improved stability and compatibility, and added an extremely neat new feature :)
    Now you can sync the game camera with the scene camera so when you move around in the scene view the game camera follows.

Now live on the Asset Store

16. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi. Congrats for this awesome tool. Makes Unity closer to UDK :)
    I bought it because I want to record a camera, I have to make a cinematic. What I see is that Animation is not capturing the camera transation. If you check UDK Matinee + Director track, you will see all you have to do is to fly around the world and capture the key when you want. That's what I need, Could you have a look to that? Thank you.

17. asafsitner

asafsitner

Hello David!
    I'll definitely have a look into that. In fact, we plan to re-brand WYSIWYG and release a new version so I'll see if we can squeeze that feature in time for release. :)

EDIT: In the meantime I've seen that it's possible to set an animation manually, but you have to add both translation and rotation curves and add a key to both.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  18. zirakuta

zirakuta

You mentioned that you plan to re-brand TE WYSIWYG. I was on your website and noticed something called BeholdR - I take it that is the re-branded TE WYSIWYG?

Now, I want to buy TE WYSIWYG from the Unity Asset Store, but before I do I want to know if I will be able to get BeholdR for free when it comes out on the Asset Store or if I will have to pay for that as well. Considering it is just a re-brand I would assume that anyone who purchased TE WYSIWYG will be getting BeholdR for free?

Finally, when exactly do you think BeholdR will be available on the Unity Asset Store?

If you could let me know as soon as possible, that would be awesome!

19. asafsitner

asafsitner

Indeed it is! It's pronounced 'Beholder', as in "The Scene View is in the eye of the BeholdR" :D

Again, you are correct. TE WYSIWYG will be updated into BeholdR and will be available as a free upgrade for everyone who bought TE WYSIWYG, whether they got it from the Asset store or directly from us.

We have a few urgent issues regarding our new project that are stuck in the pipeline right now and we have to resolve them before we can release BeholdR. We sincerely believe it will be worth the delay however as we plan something very cool. :)

You can subscribe to this thread, or to any of our social networks; updates will come as soon as we can post them.

20. zirakuta

zirakuta

Thank you for the very fast reply! I just purchased TE WYSIWYG and have been playing around with it for the past few hours. I absolutely love it! Certainly money well spent.

I am looking forward to the release of BeholdR, and as such I subscribed to this thread and all of your social network accounts so I will be notified to moment you guys release it! :D

Thanks again for your response and for making such an awesome asset!

21. asafsitner

asafsitner

Thank you, we're happy to hear you found it useful!
    I can't say much yet, but we're working on something extra-nice that we think you'll love, so staying tuned is definitely a good idea. :)

22. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Hey asafsitner. I love this asset! Really well done. Did you try building a project with it yet? I get a console error when I launch my game:
    Deactivating the component won't solve the problem but removing it will. I know you're not supposed to use #if UNITY_EDITOR on MonoBehaviour public variables. I think development build needs to be checked when you build as well, else it probably won't show you errors.

23. asafsitner

asafsitner

Oh wow, not sure how I missed that!
    I'll release a hotfix ASAP.

Thanks for letting me know!

24. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That's a common mistake. Happened to me too :D Makes us to feel really bad, hehe.

25. asafsitner

asafsitner

I've just received submission confirmation from Unity, so I expect the fix to be available in the next few days.

Those who bought TE WYSIWYG directly from us can already download the updated version.
    An email with a download link should have landed in your inbox by now. :)

26. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Howdy Asafsitner, I don't know if you have unity pro, but currently if mess with a LODGroup component in the scene view it insta-crashes unity. Removing the WYSIWYG component fixes the issue. It inevitably has something to do with the fact that changing the lod distance in the scene view takes over your camera and does a little preview. You can, for instance, mess with the lod distance of a prefab from the project view. Your asset still rocks, btw, but I wanted to let you know.

27. asafsitner

asafsitner

Thanks for letting me know (and for the positive attitude)! :)
    I've just reproduced, and I'll be looking into a possible fix.

In the meantime, you don't have to completely remove the WYSIWYG component - you can disable and re-enable it after you're done tweaking the LOD group.

28. kaz2057

kaz2057

Good asset.

For finale release of app, can I leave this script attached to camera or I need to remove from scene?

Thanks

29. asafsitner

asafsitner

It shouldn't do any harm if the script is still attached, but it doesn't provide any benefit whatsoever.
    For final release, I'd remove it.

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great idea, this will be very usefull

Does it work with FXLab ?

31. asafsitner

asafsitner

I am not familiar with FXLab's inner workings or it's output, so I can't guarantee compatibility.
    I can take a look and try to decipher what they're doing, but as of right now I can't promise if and when that will happen.

If you do happen to purchase TE WYSIWYG I'll be very happy to hear whether or not it is indeed compatible with FXLab. :)

32. nuverian

nuverian

Damn. Why I've missed that?
    Well done. Gonna purchase tomorrow :)

33. kaz2057

kaz2057

You cannot add a Preprocess build function to remove it before building? :)

Thanks

34. asafsitner

asafsitner

That's... entirely possible. I'll see what I can do. :)

35. asafsitner

asafsitner

BeholdR 3.2 is now out!

This is our biggest update to BeholdR yet and it includes a lot of new features we hope you'll love, such as automatic discovery of Image Effects and even automatic disable during Play Mode to save performance!

Those of you who bought it from us can already download the new version (an email with instructions has been sent to you).
    The Asset Store version should update in the next few days.

Thank you all for the support and we hope you'll love BeholdR as much as we do! :)

36. SteveB

SteveB

Great job man!

37. asafsitner

asafsitner

Thanks! :)

38. kaz2057

kaz2057

I appreciate the update for disabling PostFX during play mode :)

39. asafsitner

asafsitner

I'm glad you did.
    If you have any ideas or suggestions how we can further improve BeholdR we'd like to hear. We take them very seriously :)

40. asafsitner

asafsitner

BeholdR is now also available on the unity asset store!

41. asafsitner

asafsitner

BeholdR 3.2.1 released.
    Now compatible with Unity 4.0.0 and up!

Direct buyers should have received emails with update instructions.
    Asset Store version should be live in a few days.

Thank you for supporting BeholdR!

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Been using this for a long time. It's definitely one of my mainstays.

One downside: Candela SSR produces distorted results when using BeholdR. Is it possible to get it supported?

43. asafsitner

asafsitner

Glad you like BeholdR; can I quote you on that? ;)

I'll need to poke around Candela and see what can be done, and we're about to release a new product, so it might take me a few days to solve.
    Thank you for using BeholdR and please be patient! :)

44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure. Go for it.

Is it also possible to just automatically use the camera's image effects instead of having to specify them? Must quicker workflow.

45. asafsitner

asafsitner

Thanks.

Are you sure you're using the latest version? (3.2/.1)
    There's a toggle that attempts to identify post processes and automatically add them to BeholdR, and even add them at the correct order as well.

The reason we're not simply copying every component from the camera is we can't know for certain what it will happen if it's not a post process (we've experienced a crash doing that in the past).

So make sure you're using the latest version (if you bought it directly from us but can't download for some reason let me know) and that the 'Automatic Discovery' flag is toggled on.
    We're always working to improve the discovery heuristics to try and cover all post processes and image effects. If you have an idea how we could improve on that, I'll be more than happy to hear.

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

hmm. I'll give that a try.

47. asafsitner

asafsitner

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Just a heads up.. Turning on "textured wire" in the scene view doesn't work as expected with Beholdr enabled.

49. asafsitner

asafsitner

Which post processes do you have enabled as well?
    I'm not seeing anything weird with BeholdR alone.

50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Ah.. It's Ambient Obscurance.

BTW, Unity's implementatioin of all SSAO options is no good. Distant objects get buggy. I'd glady pay for a SSAO done with a depth option.