Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by k3D-Junkie, Jun 20, 2011.

1. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Hi guys,

I've taken a break from updating the book for 4.1 and added the main Unity changes necessary to use the current book for 4.0 or other in between versions- it's at the start of this thread in my first post.

Sue

2. Epictickle

Epictickle

Disregard this. Anyone having trouble with the Animation imports on chapter 7, make sure that after you import you click on the prefab in the project view, click Rig > Animation Type > Legacy, and then apply.

Bought your book, and I love it! I just started reading yesterday, and I'm now on chapter 7. The problem that I am stuck at is when I import the animations (animation Object full), they don't animate! I looked at the prefab, and noticed that it is missing an Animator Controller, under Animator. I don't know if this is what is causing it, as I have literally no experience with animation, but I am going to take a wild guess and say that it is. If so, how would I go about getting the original controller imported correctly? If not, then expect a volly of more questions. xP

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Thanks for flagging this- I'll add it to the first post with the other version changes. With the addition of Mecanim, the whole importing workflow got changed, and may get changed some more as they work towards integrating the legacy stuff with it. I've already revised chapter 7 for the next version three times expect it may need another pass before the 4.1 release...<sigh>

added:
    Changes in 4.0:
    Importing needs to be handled by using the Legacy option- make sure that after you import, you click on the asset in the project view, click Rig > Animation Type > Legacy, and then apply. If you select Store in Root (new) for Generation type, the root object will get the Animation component and all of the children's animations will be called through the parent. This also means each animation must have a unique place on the time line. If you choose Store in Original Roots (Depreciated), the Animation component should be put on each individual root object.
    Another warning: animation clips played in the Inspector may behave differently in scene. Unity does not set a key for all of the objects when you define a clip. This means on exporting objects with animations, you will need to make sure you have done so, or, have baked the animations into keys.

I'll probably update this again, so if you all have questions, be sure to ask.

Sue

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  4. Nubz

Nubz

Would love to do the project in this book but the nightmare amount of errors is stopping me.
    66 errors about variables not being accessible due to protection level in the finished version from chapter 16 which I had loaded up to see how it looked the way you did it.

Did I waste money on this and it won't work anymore?

Not trying to put the book down at all it seems very well written and easy to follow but with the above mentioned problem and others when trying to just follow along on my own it gets annoying.

I also notice there is a new edition in the works but why not at least fix the bugs in the source on your website in the meantime?

5. Epictickle

Epictickle

Quoting Sue
    "Changes in Unity 3.4:
    You are required to use "internal" rather than "private" when declaring variables that need to be accessed by other scripts but hidden from the Inspector.
    This is the cause of the "...is inaccessible due to its protection level." error."

No. In fact, it is still possible to compile a game made with the first stable release of Unity, with just a small amount of revision. Unity tries to keep their original API and Syntax the same. The reason the code has to be sometimes changed is mainly due to new components added to the Unity Engine. With new components, comes new functions added to the original Unity library of code, or predefined functions and classes for you to use such as Input.GetKey. This is generally referred to as the API.

It is my personal preference that she NOT fix the source code of the original. It is best to get your feet wet with the debug console as soon as possible. The reason being that you will be using it A LOT throughout your video game design career. Before too long, you will know what almost every error code given in the Debug console means, and why that error was given.

Furthermore, with all of the changes that have been made to Unity since this book was published, it would take a whole new book in itself to actually explain why you have to change the source code, and how the new code is supposed to be implemented.

Hope this helped!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  6. Nubz

Nubz

I see your point Epictickle and understand why it would benefit to leave it so people have to work for the end result.
    Was just a little frustrated yesterday about the book.

Thank you for the reply

7. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Also, you will need to remove the #pragma strict from the new scripts

Unfortunately, Unity tends to make little changes in point releases that can break entire projects,
    but they are usually done to improve performance or set up for new features so we just have to figure out ways to work around them

that little issue with "private" turned up a month or two after the book was released- imagine how I felt!

as Epictickle pointed out, though, problem solving is a big part of creating games and other real-time apps and much of the book is geared toward developing those skills

tutorials tend to take you through the ideal steps in the optimal order to arrive at a particular result
    what they rarely show is the process of trial and error, experimentation, weighing pros and cons for a particular decision, and all the other factors that go into the creation process

so if you have questions or problems, just ask- I check this thread regularly and am happy to help or explain
    (Tony can attest to that ;))

Sue

8. Epictickle

Epictickle

Lol Sue, that brings me back to the good ol' days!

I remember when I was making a little temple dodge game a while back with unity 3.x. We were on the verge of releasing our first tech demo of the project. I believe it was to be released in about a week or two. Too afraid to port our game to an unstable release of Unity, we never even thought to look up what the changes were going to be with Unity 3.4. I remember waking up one morning, updating Unity to the latest 3.4 version, and having a near heart-attack! I had no idea about the change in syntax lol! We were all running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to find the problem. It tuns out that it was the same exact problem. We had a Game Master object that held all of our internal, or at the time, private, data. Obviously this script needed to be accessed by others, such as Player, etc... It eventually pushed the tech demo release back by about a day or two, but we figured it out. Just another great example of how you can use the Unity community, and forums, to help you solve your problems!

9. Nubz

Nubz

This is exactly what I have been looking for.
    It is the type of game I have been trying to figure out all along.

Thank you for the book.

I plan on going through the book then reading the important parts over again then see what I can do to make it my own.

10. Epictickle

Epictickle

So I'm finishing up chapter 10, and I think I may have found a possible bug. I don't know what may cause this bug, or if it is even a bug at all, but after I added the metadata to the Pedestal and clicked it, it wouldn't change state. So, I compared my metadata with yours, and nothing was wrong with it. So, I then tried to change its state directly by the Initial State variable at the top, but to my surprise, it wouldn't let me click into the text box! Instead, it takes me to the Sphere Collider component, in the X value, under "center". Check it out and see if it is doing that on your end.. I don't know what else could be causing this other than some kind of bug, or maybe one of the keys on my keyboard are sticking, and it is a unity specific hotkey? I'm at a loss lol.

11. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

did you use copy paste to make the Interactor component? I've occasionally had odd things happen - sometimes there's a bad refresh flickering going on too

I think I had to close Unity restart- see if that fixes it

12. Epictickle

Epictickle

Yeah, it must have been a bug with unity.. After a fresh restart, the bug stopped, and everything started working normally. I do copy and paste out of the book to save myself some time, and then make revisions as necessary. So far, I've made it to Inventory Logic. The state management system was one of the chapters that I was really excited about. I'm mainly a programmer, but haven't had much experience in state management, etc.. There are still a few parts that confused me, that I plan on going back and revisiting, but I've at least got the game working! This book is going to turn out to be like a bible to me when I start making my own games. I've already started a GDD on an adventure game of my own, and will send you a copy once it's under way if you would like.

13. CrimsonQueen

CrimsonQueen

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Interactor.Start () (at Assets/Adventure Scripts/Interactor.js:125)

Line 125:
    currentVisibility = visibilityType[currentState];

Chapter 14, page 592, I get this error on every object. I opened the downloaded version and the same error is all over that project. I saw others post that they had this issue in this thread, but I didn't see a resolution. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

(To clarify, the above actually is the book project, line 125. And this is happening in Unity 4.0.0)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  14. CrimsonQueen

CrimsonQueen

Just so everyone knows, although the book doesn't say you will get the above errors, you WILL. Until you reach page 595, when they are handled and go away. :)

15. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

thanks for the heads up on that!

I'll take a peek see if I can explain better- especially as that is a common message to get

Sue

16. Jadestar

Jadestar

I'm looking for a good book series to get into. I made a post recenty about. Are you plannin on releasing another book that would be "the next level" or an intermediate or advanced book? There seems to be a lot of beginner books but nothing to go on after your first book.

Thanks.

17. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

hi Jadestar,

The problem with 'advanced' is that by the timer readers are ready for more topics, they have started to specialize. Some want to learn how to streamline code, some want to get deeper into characters, some want to know about networking and some want to get more serious about mobile.

There are plenty of advanced topic videos around. The trick is knowing how to use them. And that's where the beginner books come in. I know they vary, but in mine, a lot of what I cover is the problem solving and decision making required to create and build a reasonably sophisticated game. I would hope that, eventually, readers will be able to go out on their own to research topics that I was not able to include.

So, out of curiosity, what are you looking to find in an advanced book?

18. lzt120

lzt120

it is posible to just download the art asset only. the total asset in 3.2GB which is too big and I try two times but failed to get the resource from that webside.

19. Nubz

Nubz

Wouldn't reccomend this book to my worst enemy
    Unless of course they needed some paper to wipe with

20. drtyrell

drtyrell

I noticed that by page 335, the deprecated settings of "Store in Nodes" really kills the flow of the chapter. I don't know if it's import that I know the different between the AnimationObjects and AnimationObjectsFull. The screenshot on page 335 never happens, because the UI won't behave like this legacy version of Unity. I can't get any animation clips to appear under ChestLid for AnimationObjects.

Would appreciate any advise.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  21. Al Shoura

Al Shoura

Obviously the Apress download problem persists through the years :)

This pack is UNDOWNLOADABLE. I've been trying for the past week with different browsers, using GetRight and without, but nothing.

Using GR gave me some info though. The server of APress does not support resuming, and it obviously has a bandwidth issue as well. Reading the first 7 pages of this topic, then the last one -so far- I summized that people at Apress have no intention of fixing this issue, and that some people are sometimes lucky enough to be able to download the 3.2 GB one file :)

Sue, if I were you I'd just upload the files somewhere and give out the link here!

22. drtyrell

drtyrell

23. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

hi drtyell,

just rewrote the import chapter for the next version of the book- for the 3rd time...

Unity is switching the animation control over to Mecanim slowly and we've lost functionality in the process for mechanical type animation

in the book, forget about the AnimationObjectsFull assets section- just set up AnimationObjects

My advice is to use Legacy Store in Root (new) for the Animation Type
    Set up the animation clips
    Drag the asset into the hierarchy view

It might look something like:
    SomeObjects
    objectA
    objectB
    some other objects

The Animation component will be on the root, SomeObjects

So now duplicate it once for each of the objects that animates, let's say ObjectA and ObjectB

Rename the root object, SomeObjects to match the one you will leave inside it
    then delete the extras in each

so now you might have:

SomeObject
    some other objects

ObjectA Group
    ObjectA

ObjectB Group
    ObjectB

This gives you two benefits- the individual groups can be moved around the scene and the objects can now be triggered independently

to call the animation, you will always need to call it from the parent:
    theParent : GameObject = gameObject.Find("ObjectB Group");
    theParent.animation.Play(); // play ObjectB Group's default animation

Triggering a second object when one is already playing and they are in the same group can cause the first to stop playing or move to some odd place in the timeline. If you were always going to trigger them one at a time and wait until each was finished you could leave then together.

Anyway, hope that helps!

I'll add this to the first post, where I've been putting the other version change issues

Sue

24. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Re Assets downloading-

I can't legally post it anywhere- the assets belong to Apress (but I certainly couldn't stop anyone else from putting them up somewhere...)

Yeah , and I went around and around with Apress about the download size- apparently they are only set up for one download file per book

At this point, with all the changes, there's not as much reason to include the project files for each chapter

What do you guys think?

Sue

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  25. Al Shoura

Al Shoura

Yeah. Someone definitely should ;)

Any of you "lucky guys" out there willing to do that? I can offer the space and FTP access if anyone's willing to take the time and upload it

26. OutIn

OutIn

Thanks for sharing the information about the book.I look great.

27. drtyrell

drtyrell

Sue, thank you so much for your incredible support between publications. I look forward to purchasing the update.

28. MichiKen

MichiKen

sue,

your Lynda training class, is there plans to get that to Unity 4? or is ok to take the class if I have installed Unity version 4.1 today. If you have a new version coming out, I was wondering if I should wait.

Also, do you have an estimate of when the updated book will be available on Amazon.com looks like they have the pre-order, but not know how long that would be.

Thanks,
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  29. ak223

ak223

30. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Hi Ken,

the Lynda course should hold up well for 4.1
    I just replaced one of the asset packages because of import changes, so it should be pretty solid,
    also, it is a lot more generic than the book as far as Unity stuff goes

Mecanim course in the works for Lynda.com

still working on book, I had to shrink it down for print-on-demand, plus add new material, so was a lot of rewrite

Sue

31. Amurchik1

Amurchik1

Hello, please tell me in the book: Beginning 3D Game Development with Unita All-in-one, multi-platform game development, what programming language is described C # or Java skript

32. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

I believe it was Javascript

33. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

yes, JavaScript

34. Amurchik1

Amurchik1

Hello, and please tell me, is there a book on Unity 3d 4 with a description of programming language C #??

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  35. Tiggster

Tiggster

Hey Sue, I'm working my way through your video series on Lynda.com, up to section 9 now, and its absolutely awesome! I believe its WAY easier to learn Unity from a video series than a book because Unity is such a visual environment. Thanks for such an excellent resource!

I do have a question: Is there a chance you may put together a video series focused on iOS development? I'm sure it would not only benefit me, but would be useful to a lot of the Unity community.

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  36. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Hi Tiggster,

Glad you are enjoying the Lynda.com series- They kept making me prune it down (my idea of "essentials" is obviously more than their usual content ;)

I kept having to explain that learning Unity is a three part thing- scripting, 3D, and realtime game stuff- any one of which could be a full series on its own!

Cool thing is that they had had requests for Unity for some time and it ended up being the most watched media series the quarter it was released

I just finished a shorter series on Mecanim (and yeah, had to crop out a couple of those too :p) - it should be out any time now

so nothing new in the works for me right now

Sue

37. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi Sue,

Will the Mecanim tutorial be included in "Essential tutorial"? Or will it be a new separate series of unity tutorials?

Thanks in advance

38. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

separate series - I think it came out to about a 4 hours (and they didn't want me to get too advanced)

in the Essentials course, there is a section on platform jumpers that you could probably substitute the platform jumper from the mecanim course
    - haven't tried it specifically, but kind of had that in the back of my mind when I was designing the series

Sue

39. wayneglows

wayneglows

Hey Sue,

I have also gone through the Lynda.com training and I must tell you it was wonderful. Your ability to explain things by example really helped me to master the features of Unity that are perhaps not covered as deeply by others in books and tutorials. Great job on them.

As far as the Mecanim series, I am excited to hear you took that project on, but PLEASE tell me you showed us a way to "strafe" left and right and turn around without doing that stupid little running circle. I have not found a way to do these basic movements with Mecanim yet and get it as responsive as the cookie cutter 3rd person controller. That and the glitchy bone naming and bone arrangement have kind of thrown me off of it so far. Definately looking forward to having some 3DAdventurous light shown on the subject.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  40. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

hi _Gloam,

Yeah, I did spend time on things that were 'missing' in the Unity samples. I think I had the character in the final video, a little obstacle course, strafing, but can't remember since I had to cut out some of my material. Strafing is pretty straight forward if you are letting Mecanim do the movement using the animation (I'm sure there's a good pun in there somewhere...).

I did spend time on jumping and turn in place though since I felt they were also missing. The "canned" jump/roll looks nice in a demo, but wasn't useful for something like a platform jumper, so I adapted the 3rd Person Controller to use Mecanim over the course of 2 or 3 videos. I didn't get too deep into it but I think it will let you understand the mechanics of it.

The turn in place was a much tougher task. Here's the problem- when we turn, we turn our head to the target direction (or at least part way) and then the body follows. In the canned example from Unity, you specify the amout of turn first, and through all sorts of Blend trees, the head stops turning when it reaches its target, and then the body finishes up. When we are actually controlling a character, though, we have no way of knowing when the player will let up on controls (doesn't matter if he's using mouse turn or arrow keys). So at the point he lets up, the character's head has already overshot the target and Mecanim transitions it back to straight ahead- all this providing your animation is turn-in-place where there is head and body turns built in. So the result is not very good.

I included a lot of animations to test with in the assets for the course. They are just quick CAT animations, but are great for testing ideas. I think the best alternative for a turn in place is to use a walk in place or maybe a turn in place with no turn on the head, then use a mask to turn the head at the start of the turn let it transition back to straight ahead on its own. I suppose you could get tricky and aniticipate the look target to get a less generic effect. If you have pro, the IK and lookAt possibilities are pretty interesting.

Bottom line with Mecanim is that you can use it 3 different ways. If the animation has transforms built in, you can let Mecanim move the character around using the animation's transform info. If the animations are "in-place", you let the script control the transforms and let the speed/angular velocity trigger the appropriate animations. The third is just a direct triggering- user presses a key and triggers a behavior (head shake, hand wave, etc.). For something like the strafe, it would trtigger the animation, and, if the animation was "in place", you would let the script control the speed(as with the tpc).

I ended up doing a mix match with existing scripts since the course was about Mecanim and not how to write a character controller. I didn't get to cover everything because it was an "essentials" course, but hopefully i covered enough to help people go beyond the nice sample tutorials Unity provides.

Sue

wayneglows likes this.
  41. MaxDarkness

MaxDarkness

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry to bother you and before i start i want to compliment you for the great book you wrote.

I have a problem anyway with Chapter 4, i don't know if anyone had this before, i tried to search for this issue but with no results.

My problem is that i can't do the lightmap as it doesn't bring any shadows to the map, apart from that, i think that the rock assets are pretty much bugged, as it has some textures of grass and banyanspot in it.
    I'll post you some screenshot and sorry for my english, i'm italian and i learned english completely alone, so it's not perfect.

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/4352/sl4j.png
    http://imageshack.us/a/img838/8103/l7y.png

Attached Files:

42. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

hi MaxDarkness,

My bad on the rock- I forgot to update it to one with a normalized unwrap.
    When it gets used as a terrain asset, Unity puts the maps together and where the rock hangs over, instead of tiling, it gets another object's map
    I can't seem to get it uploaded to attach here, but if you pm me, I'll send it to you

For the shadow problem, I'm not sure what the problem is

maybe the light settings?

Make sure the Directional light's Shadow Type is set to Soft Shadows
    and the Lightmapping is set to Auto

also, if the terrain size is too big, the shadows would be too blurry to notice

Sue

Attached Files:

43. MaxDarkness

MaxDarkness

Thank you Sue for your response.

I resolved the lighting problem, don't really know what it was.

Thank you for your answer and thank you for the rocks, have a good week-end!

44. mike274

mike274

Trying to go through your book in Unity 4 and am on Chapter 7 with AnimationObjects. The rigging, of course, is Legacy for Unity 4, but I would love to see what's changed about this in your updated book. When is the release date for your new book, Sue?

45. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

hi Mike,

non- character animation of multiple/related objects (mechaninical contraptions) has pretty much been ignored by Unity/Mechanim

This is even after The Room, an award winning puzzle/adventure game for mobile, was done in Unity
    I contacted the guys at Fireproof games to get permission to use a couple of their screen shots and while in contact, asked what they were using
    the answer was Legacy

I finished authoring a Lynda.com course on Mecanim that's been out a few weeks now. I had a video on using Mecanim for mecanical animations, but it was cut because we were running over they just wanted character stuff
    so you *can* do it with mecanim, but it is major overkill and lots of extra work

so for now, we have even less options with Legacy
    my current workflow is to duplicate assets with multiple animating objects, then delete or disable the unused ones in each group (if you disable, it's easier to update the asset)

besides the regular animations, the new book contains a couple of characters and deals with dialogue trees
    it also incorporates a few more generic Unity goodies into a couple of the tasks
    the book is slated to be out near the end of the month

Sue

46. gautsch

gautsch

Speaking of lynda.com...sorry to jump in here, Sue, but I'm working through your Unity 3.5 course on lynda and am onto Chapter 11 and Lenny won't animate, I'm assuming because of the same issue.
    Could you break this down a bit wrt Lenny for noobs like me?
    Cheers

Edit: Never mind...I found out what I had to do (thanks, console!)

To anyone struggling:
    Just select Lenny in the imported assets folder and in the inspector, select the 'Rig' tab and change the Animation type from 'Generic' to 'Legacy'. Fixed it for me :rolleyes:

Edit2: I'm not having any luck with the elevator doors, though :(

Edit3: Just found the ReadMe in the exercise files..thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  47. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

Hi gautsch,

No problems bringing up Lynda.com course here. I was thinking about opening a topic just for the Unity Essentials course, especially as little bits and pieces need workarounds for Unity version changes. Lynda.com support seems to be pretty good about helping subscribers, but when they're stuck, they forward the issue to me- hence the rather long elevator ReadMe :)

I'll pass on the Lenny issue to them. That one totally slipped by me.
    So did you fix the game character the same way?
    Or did you side track to watch the Mecanim course and Frankenstein them together? Just curious because I'm trying to decide what to do with that part when I update the course

Sue

48. gautsch

gautsch

Hey Sue,

Do you mean the platform character? I'm still working my way through the final chapters, but yes, I'm trying to use the same trick (i.e. Legacy). Haven't watched the Mecanim course yet..I think I'm going to read a couple of books first. Also found a Skillshare course that recreates Doodle Jump and Breakout which is more geared towards my super-low skill level.

The weirdest thing hands-down so far in your course, by the way, is the sentry gun. Upon pressing 'play', the gun head levitates away from the head and spins around the FPC's head in the air. It's pretty weird and I can't seem to be able to do anything about it. It's not technically an animation issue, it's just some weird behaviour that's happening in 4.x. Can you reproduce that?

49. k3D-Junkie

k3D-Junkie

oh yeah, the sentry gun- there's a setting in one of the parts ridgidbody that needs changing- support has that fix listed
    I'll have to dig it up for you (because sentry gun is pretty cool)

Edit: ok, looks like Sentry gun tripod,( it has the box collider), should have Gravity checked in its rigidbody
    the sentry gun object should have both Use Gravity and Is Kinematic checked

I can't repro your results- did you remove the collider from the gun head?

if you want to zip the project file and put it up on dropbox or something, then pm me a link, I'll take a look at it

Sue

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  50. gautsch

gautsch

Yep, had all those settings checked by default, same result.

I can get the tripod to stay put if I lock its rigidbody position and rotation down, but then it doesn't budge when I shoot it :(

Thanks heaps Sue. I'll finish the training first to see if I can fix it myself. If not, I'll post the project file.

Cheers,

gautsch

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013