Search Unity

Beginner questions about multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Done4Good, May 27, 2015.

1. Done4Good

Done4Good

hi! i want to learn how to make a multiplayer game, an MMORPG for example, i know it's an ambitious target to start as a newbie programmer and there are lots of stuffs to do, but i just want to learn to make one it doesn't have to be that good.

can somebody direct me on tutorials that's easy to catch up with? thnx in advance and good luck to you all :)

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Before you get flooded with replies of "that's unrealistic; it's beyond your abilities," let me say: That's unrealistic; it's beyond your abilities -- at the moment. Understand that it's possible, but you have to be prepared to spend at least a few years acquiring the knowledge and skills to build even a very simple MMO. But others have done it, and so can you. Perhaps not by yourself, but over the next few years as you build your knowledge, you can also find like-minded people to work with. I recommend starting with all of Unity's video tutorials. There are currently five project tutorials. Once you've built all five games, you'll have a good foundation to work on a single player game. After you've built a few single player games, you can start to dig into networking, which is a whole complicated beast unto itself. And good luck!

stevOG and Done4Good like this.
  3. Done4Good

Done4Good

thnx for the encouragements :)

I have seen the stealth tutorial and i learned a lot. Probably the easiest way for me to learn is to find other people i can talk with about the about the project and ask for tips on the procedures and accomplish simple tasks. I'll look into the other video tutorials and check the areas i have missed.

4. luquitadenuevo

luquitadenuevo

Hi Done,

Start simple. Grab a tutorial, understand it, move to the next.
    Do a simple turn based board game (checkers!) first.

And BTW, an MMO is unrealistic and it's beyond your abilities ;)

Cheers,