Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic unity networking question.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by icarotkd, Jan 4, 2016.

1. icarotkd

icarotkd

I`d like to know if on unity, when you make a server, does unity server work as a lobby, and when you connect to that server, is it p2p? does the host pc actually becomes a server for client to connect? thanks

2. CSRA-Dayton

CSRA-Dayton

Everything I have read makes me believe that you are not using Unity's networking services unless you are utilizing the matchmaking server. But - I'm really new to this too - it's just how I've read into it - my speculation.

icarotkd likes this.
  3. icarotkd

icarotkd

Sorry for literally taking 4 months to reply, there wasnt any notifications.
    But well, I think you are right, i've done some tests and thats what it seems, but I'd like a confirmation...
    Also, if thats really what happens, then its pretty close to p2p, right?

4. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

If you're using the master server and relay, and allowing players to "host" (start relay listen servers), then yes, its similar to p2p, except the hosting player is not actually opening his connection up to external connections, all traffic is routed through the relay server to guarantee a reliable connection between other clients and host. But yes, all server authoritative logic is executed on the hosting player's machine.

icarotkd likes this.
  5. icarotkd

icarotkd

In this case, i've done some testing on unity`s deprecated and it apperars that yes, im doing that, but even when i close the master server, the connection is still going, which is super weird since all traffic is routed...
    Am i getting something wrong?