Search Unity

Band on the Run [2D pixel platformer]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Thomas90, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Thomas90

Thomas90

Edit: changed the story of the game. See third post.
    Edit2: new gameplay video in post #6.

Hi guys!

I thought that I could share what I'm working on nowadays in my spare time.
    First of all, I am by no means a game developer, programmer or 2D artist by any means. However, I am a sound designer and composer/musician. My thoughts are basically that I will have a way better chance of getting into the game industry as a sound engineer if I actually know how games work and how to make them. So I look at this project sort of like a fancy job application.

So, to the game.
    It is in every way a "make the road as I go" process. But the main idea is a guy running for his life with a bomb in his hands, while he's trying to get past whatever obstacle that comes in his way (be it a pig, saw, big jump, bird etc...)

So far, I have gotten most of the basic components down. Still, most of what I do is to get what I want working. I have no level design thus far, as I want the core mechanics to work before I worry about that.

Bear in mind that most, if not all of the art are placeholders and very much a work in process.

I appreciate any feedback of all kinds.
    Underneath I have added some gifs and a short gameplay video.
    BombMan.gif
    Pig.gif

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks pretty good so far for your intended goal.
    In future updates - beyond core mechanics - consider adding a little up/down motion to the piggie. He looks pretty weightless and linear in the gif and video provided. But nice job anyway - not being a art guy. ;)

3. Thomas90

Thomas90

Thank you for your reply! As I said most, if not all of the art so far will be replaced.
    I have actually slightly (drastically) changed the story and therefore the art of the game. Instead of a guy with a bomb, there will be four band members running as fast as they can to get to the studio. The reason I have changed the story is basically to make it more engaging to myself. And I will also be able to showcase my strengths (music and sfx) in a much better way.

These are the four band members. I will probably work quite a bit more on them. But they do what they should at the moment.
    Bassist.gif DrummerBoy_run.gif Guitarist.gif Singer.gif

I have also added a timer which will put pressure on the player. Pause screen, game over screen, respawning, life/coin pickups and all of the core game mechanics now work is it should. Which I'm very pleased with. This project has so far been an immense learning process!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. Thomas90

Thomas90

Hi guys! Been a long time since the last update on this project. I've been busy with loads of work, but I'm pleased to say that the last three/four days has been really productive.
    And best of all, I really feel that I start to understand C# (at a low level). This means that I am very often able to do the things I want to do.

Seeing as this is not a story driven game, the story of the game is slightly being altered all the time. This might be (I'm pretty sure it is) a disadvantage, but this project is not about making the strongest game story wise.

At a point, the player had an ability to switch to another character by pressing a button, and then that character were able to shoot a projectile and teleport himself to wherever that projectile landed. I had major troubles with the camera not following the new character, so this is currently on hold.

Instead, I've added a mechanic where the player jumps on to an activation zone/button, which instantiates a box that the player has to push to a designated zone. When the player successfully does that, a game object appears, and the player can get closer to the finish line. After a certain period of time, the box disappears, meaning the activated game objects also disappears.

I will try to make a short gameplay video within the next couple of days.
    Here is some simple gifs of some of the game objects.

Blubber_idle.gif Pillar_flame_sprite.gif Trampoline_gif.gif Beer_animation.gif

GarBenjamin likes this.
  5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks great so far! You're doing a very good job on the presentation and are probably a bit more skilled in 2D art than you think. Also it looks well programmed so far. Obviously, I haven't actually played it but the video gives the impression of the character being highly responsive.

Thomas90 likes this.
  6. Thomas90

Thomas90

Thanks @GarBenjamin!

I've put together a short gameplay video. It's nothing mind blowing, but I guess it shows off some of the mechanics and how the game works and looks. As for now, I have added one of the tunes from my 8bit music & sfx asset pack.
    You can find it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/56618

And here's the video:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks like a nice start! I really like the attention to detail. The little dude leans forward when running. Overall it looks interesting.

I'll have to check out your music pack tonight. If it is not one I already have and I like it I will get it.

8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well thanks for mentioning your music & sfx pack. I just bought it and then ended up grabbing several more packs from other creators while I was there. I can always use more good sounds and music. Although it sure takes time digging through them all to choose a sound it is a good problem to have.

Nice tunes!

9. Thomas90

Thomas90

Thank you so much @GarBenjamin!
    Just let me know if you want any custom music and/or sfx as well, seeing as that is what I do :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks neat but change the name... your game has nothing to do with 'bands' or any other beatles connection which is what immediately came to mind.

11. Thomas90

Thomas90

You're right about it not having anything to do with The Beatles or Wings. But it certainly has a lot to do with a band. As for now, it's just the guitarist that's actually in the game. But I'm working on incorporating three other band members right now. And they are are running as fast as they can, because well, they're musicians. What they are running to/from will change for each level.

But thanks for the reply!