Search Unity

Backwoods Gaming's Addons for Gaia

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BackwoodsGaming, Mar 1, 2016.

1. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Stamp Packs Version 2 Update News!!! [Jump to most recent news post!]

Important Note:
    All of the below info in this post is for the original Backwoods Gaming Gaia Stamps Packs. Information on the updated packs and which packs are currently being worked up to update to v2 or have been already updated to v2 is in the post later in this thread which is linked above. Click there for the most current news. - Shawn

Hi all. I have been hinting around in the Gaia thread about a project that I have been working on and it is time for the big reveal! Back in January, Adam and I were chatting on Skype and he threw me the idea of creating stamp packs for Gaia. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with my situation, but due to some health issues I have been struggling financially and have been trying to figure out some way I could bring in a few dollars to get by. Adam said the packs were something he had planned on doing, but with all of the coding that is required to keep Gaia going and other asset ideas he had that would need to be coded, he asked me if it was something I would like to run with. So for the past month I have been working out plans, finding neat areas around the US that would make nice stamps, doing the Photoshop work to make them work well with Gaia, writing an extension for Gaia to make it easy to enable and disable stamps from the packs, and trying to navigate through all of the Unity marketing stuff that is required to submit packs to the asset store. Oh yeah, and working on the website where there is documentation on how to use the packs, information and a stamp glossary showing a top-down view and description of each stamp, as well as a place for me to put tutorials (such as my using Sectr with Gaia for large terrains tutorial that has been started in the Gaia thread).

So with that, let me introduce you to Backwoods Gaming and our Terrain Stamp Packs for Gaia.

NOTE: All stamp packs require Gaia to be installed. Get Gaia here.

What are terrain stamp packs?

These are themed packs containing from 10-15 new stamps for Gaia. Packs are priced at $5 per pack and new packs will be released at least once per month, sometimes more. I decided to do smaller, cheaper packs, that way folks will be able to pick and choose which packs they need instead of paying a huge price and getting tons of stamps they will never use. The smaller packs are also easier to manage in a Gaia eXtension.

What is the Gaia eXtension and what does it do?
    The GX (Gaia eXtension) plugs the pack into Gaia and lets Gaia know it is there. Within the extension you have options to enable all of the extensions in the pack, disable all extensions within the pack, or enable/disable individual stamps. By default, all of the stamps in the pack are disabled when you import the pack into Unity. Enabling them moves them into the Gaia stamps structure so Gaia can recognize them as stamps. The reason for setting up the enable/disable system was simply to prevent you from overwhelming Gaia with tons of stamps. If you know you are going to be stamping mountains, you can enable packs including mountains. If you know you are going to be stamping islands, you can enable those packs while disabling others. This is also useful for the randomizer, enabling stamps which you are going to want to focus the randomizer on and disabling others. Note: At this point the enable/disable system only works with Backwoods Gaming stamps from the stamp pack you are working within the GX -> Installed area of the Gaia Manager. In the future, we may update the packs to include a stamps manager that would also let you enable and disable other stamps as well.

What is included in the stamps packs?
    As stated earlier, each stamps pack comes with 10-15 stamps for $5. Currently, the only things included are those stamps, the stamp extension described above, and short readme files pointing to various pages of the website for documentation. You will still need to purchase Gaia, of course. But once you have Gaia and the stamp packs, you are ready to start creating awesome terrains!

What is planned for future stamp packs?
    I currently have the rest of the year mapped out for at least one stamp pack a month. I will be submitting two packs to the asset store in the next couple of days. I had a third that was ready, but when I went back through to do a quality control check, I wasn't happy with all of the stamps. So I will be going back through it and hopefully releasing it as the March pack. I have a total of 14 packs currently planned and at various stages of stamp creation. I may or may not do pack bundles down the road or even annual pack subscriptions, but I need to see how things go the first couple of months first. But there is a long-term plan.

In addition, I have some ideas for additional things to include in the packs. Once I have the code complete for those things to be integrating, they will become part of all future packs. Likewise, any existing packs will be updated at that point to include them as well.

What do the first packs contain?
    Stamp pack volume one contains stamps that contain an area in the center that is ideal for village areas. I planned this pack to coincide with the release of Gaia 1.5 and Gaia's new ability to be able to setup and spawn village POIs (Points of Interest) Each village area contains a flatter area in the center allowing you to either use the stamp to create an entire scene OR use the Gaia masking techniques to stamp into an existing scene or use with the randomizer in the Gaia Session Manager.

Stamp pack volume two contains stamps of mountains and volcanoes. All of the mountains used to create the stamp are listed as volcanic but not all have the caldera. Almost all of them could have a subtractive/inverted stamp applied to the peaks to create a caldera in them though. As with all of our stamp packs, the main mountain features are always in the center of the stamp so it can be used to create a standalone terrain OR used with Gaia masking techniques to stamp into an existing scene or used with the stamp randomizer.

Ok.. So I'll quit rambling on now and show a few images. :p

The images below were created using Gaia 1.5 and the assets below.
    • Time of Day for the skies on shots as noted
    • Tenkoku for the skies on shots as noted
    • Distingo for the terrain shaders
    • AQUAS for the water on shots as noted
    • Suimono for the water on shots as noted
    • Trees Manager System to optimize trees a bit so I could move around on the terrains on my slow machine... lol
    All other assets are Gaia samples - Trees are the SpeedTree sample trees that come with Unity/Gaia, Grasses are samples provided to Gaia by @turboscalpeur, buildings are the samples provided by Cobus (@S4G4N) of 3DForge for Gaia, and rocks are samples provided by @MotuProprio as samples for Gaia. The only exception is that the Desert Stamps Pack screenshot used Big Environment Pack 3 for trees, cactus, grasses, and terrain textures instead of those included with Gaia.

Each of the images I put together for the stamp packs is done with a single stamp from the pack. Images which have been posted by others really showcase what you can do by taking the stamps and artistically combining them with other stamps. I wanted these to showcase that you can get great results both ways. :)

NOTE: Gaia samples are installed with Gaia and are not included in the stamp packs.

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 1 - Village Areas
    On Backwoods Gaming Store | On Unity Asset Store

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 2 - Mountain and Volcano

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 3 - Desert Area

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 4 - Islands
    Vol4Island001-x-117y62z-429r87.jpg

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 5 - Coastal Areas
    Grab-Vol5CoastalArea006-x147y98z-25r264.jpg

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 6 - Highlands

Grab-Highlands006-x-152y125z36r156.png

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 7 - Marshes and Swamps

Vol7Wetlands005-x-86y53z-383r280.jpg
    Some different assets other than those mentioned above were used in the Wetlands screens including Beautify, Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion, Volumetric Fog & Mist, and uNature.

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 8 - Canyons

Canyon014-x0y63z0r125.jpg

Terrain Stamps Pack for Gaia Vol 9 - (Theme scheduled but subject to change)
    Projected web store release and asset store submission - TBD

*NOTE: I have shortened the list because I am planning to try and release a quicker schedule. You can expect to see at the very least, one new stamps pack per month. Many months may see several depending on my schedule. I have folders for at least another 20 pack types and I have stamps ready to start working on additional volumes for types I have already released.

General Pack Information
    Stamp Packs Overview - General information about Backwoods Gaming stamp packs
    Documentation - General stamp pack documentation
    Stamp Pack Quick Start Guide - Step by step guide on importing and preparing stamp packs for use
    Stamp Pack Quick Start Video - Same as above except in video form [coming soon - I hope]
    Backwoods Monthly - Stay up to date with product-related news by subscribing to our newsletter.

Main Store Links
    Backwoods Gaming - Our Web Store
    Backwoods Gaming - Unity Asset Store

Backwoods Gaming's Stamp Packs for Gaia Summary
    Enjoy! If you like what you see, pick up the packs at either asset store or my web store. Web store purchases earn 3 loyalty points per dollar spent. If you purchase on the asset store, open a support ticket on my web store and give me your invoice number for verification and I will credit your web store account with 2 loyalty points per dollar spent. Loyalty points will eventually be used for discounts, bundling options, and maybe even sales where they can be exchanged for a pack! Also, be sure to sign up for my newsletter while on the site to keep up to date. :)

At any rate, these images were each stamped, spawned, and explored within an hour using default spawners. Keep in mind, when I'm stamping and testing I have anywhere from 15-20 stamps I've worked up to test and select from to make a pack of 10. No way I could do the packs if it took me longer. And if you look at the pictures, while they may not be ready for your game, imagine if you put a day or two into each one to really tweak things out.. Adding things like the volumetric fog pack that was just on sale, explore different day/night and/or weather systems/settings, really tweaking the light to get it better, adding a wider variety of trees, buildings, villages. Imagine the possibilities!

Before Gaia, I tried to create terrains like this and spent weeks on them just trying to get a heightmap that I was satisfied with. I dreaded working on terrains. Now I have problems getting myself to work on anything else... rofl

Hope you enjoy and look forward to seeing what you guys are creating with Gaia! Oh, and when you buy the stamp packs, don't forget to share screenshots here and in the Gaia thread!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

[Post Reserved for Gaia Point of Interest Packs Information]

* Still working out release schedule.

• Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 1 - Forest Village
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 2 - Mountain Homesteads
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 3 - Desert Wastelands
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 4 - [Island themed]
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 5 - [Coastal themed]
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 6 - [Highlands themed]
    • Point of Interest (POI) Pack for Gaia Vol 7 - Wetlands Homestead/Camps

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey Shawn,

Welcome becoming an Asset Store publisher ;)

These packs are a great idea to give users theme specific stamp packs and help them generating specific results.

Cheers
    Cobus

TheSeawolf, NemoKrad, tapticc and 3 others like this.
  4. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks.. That was my thought when Adam pitched the idea to me! And through the discussions you and I had, there will be some 9-12 multi-tile groups coming down the road as well to offer either a quick start multi-tile terrain or the stamps could be used individually as well. Or at least that is the plan for a couple of packs once I can work the logistics out. :)

5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Playing with Shawns new stamps - awesome :)

Grab 20160301165608 w1900h1200 x-36y77z159r199.jpg Grab 20160301170017 w1900h1200 x466y118z-309r48.jpg Grab 20160301170116 w1900h1200 x880y108z209r263.jpg

Mark_01, turboscalpeur, Hans and 6 others like this.
  6. tapticc

tapticc

Good luck Shawn :)

7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Good luck Shawn!, will definitely get this pack! :)

8. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks.. This is actually a line of packs. Each volume will be a separate $5 pack allowing you to pick and choose which packs you want and keeping it affordable or cheap enough for Gaia junkies like me to collect them all... lol

9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh i see, then i guess what i meant is that i will definitely buy those packs* ;)

10. sanuvin

sanuvin

As I posted on the GAIA thread I am interested in worlds with multi biomes.
    - Large continent - (water would mostly be just rivers or lakes) find a swamp or two, dedicated forest or two (not just trees randomly spread all over), a desert, hilly area etc..
    - Smaller continents ( a couple oceans) with a few biomes on each continent
    - Island world (lots of water)

Might be best to wait for multi-tile support in gaia before you make these stamps if you want to go this way.

For me biomes that take a person 30 sec - 1 min or so to run through is enough.

The other thing for me is I noticed a lot of pictures in the GAIA forum look great but they don't seem really friendly for game play. Worlds full of mountains and hills look nice but hinder gameplay. I think most people want a flatter landscape, well at least I would.

Just for thoughts.

AdamGoodrich and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Really not necessary to wait. As long as the tile borders sync up, you don't need Gaia to support multi-tile. You would just need a tool that can stream the tiles in different scenes which is essentially what you will still have to do even when Gaia does multi-tile. As soon as I get back to working on my Gaia and Sectr tutorial, I'll be able to show how that works better.

Separating biomes on a continent is easy. Just have different biomes for different scenes. What gets harder is when you want to have different biomes in the same scene where the biomes require different ground textures. At any rate, the biomes discussion is something that is more oriented to the Gaia thread. This thread is more oriented around the terrain stamps themselves as that is all these packs contain. These are just extra stamps for Gaia. I doubt I'll do anything so big that it would be big enough for a whole continent. Most likely the largest I will do of a multi-tile configuration for now will be a 9 tile grid (3 x 3).

With all that said, I still need to think through multi-tile stamp packs. I currently have packs planned through the end of the year. If I do sneak a multi-tile layout in the middle of the schedule, it probably would be coordinated around the Gaia multi-tile update. Main point of what I said above was to point out it can already be done if you have the right tools. :)

As for the mountains, I guess I'm the opposite as you. For me a flatter land (or mostly flat land) is boring. There is no character to it. I like a world that makes me explore. Not something that is flat where I don't have to wonder what is on the other side of that hill.. Or wonder what lurks beyond the curve in the ravine ahead. I enjoy places where you have to ease up to the corner and maneuver around to try and see what is on the other side without receiving a smack down.. heheh Guess that is all part of the adventurer in me.

There will be packs down the road for flatter areas though. And also keep in mind, you can adjust the height before you stamp. If you want a flatter area, you can drop the height of a mountains stamp down to 2 or 3 and you'll get more of a rolling hills look. There is a LOT of variation you can get with a single stamp just by playing with height and width numbers. :)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Interesting comment and I agree. I actually usually set the height in my stamps at between 3 - 5, and have set the randomiser up this way as well.

Shawn's villages pack is designed to support this as well be creating nice flatish, but not too flat areas to create interesting gameplay in.

When I tested Shawn's stamps yesterday (see screenies above) I was genuinely delighted by what I came up with in such a short time :)

13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'm still in awe at all the variety you can get from just a single stamp. What you did when you created this system in Gaia is super awesome, @AdamGoodrich!

By the way, what I thought was going to take me two hours to wrap up about 10p last night has finally been finished 16 hours later.. lol Who knew getting all the images and such ready for asset store submission could be so grueling. Moral of this story, don't try to submit two assets at the same time... lol

At any rate, the packs are now in the review pipeline!

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think my v1.5 submission day had me running about 20 hrs straight - and a few silly bugs got through purely because I was so tired.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  15. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

yeah.. I'm probably close to that right now. I had a lot of distractions up until 10p but was still working on it trying to get things ready.. I just can't believe I'm just now starting to yawn.. lol

16. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I would have to disagree with this comment! My savannah is very flat and there are huge advantages to this. Even when quite flat, you still can't see everything on the terrain because there are always bumps and various levels. Also, you can make the terrain interesting by creating swamps and rivers, and most importantly by animals using an advanced AI system. I noticed from the start using Unity that any kinds of hills would take a chunk out of my FPS just by looking at them. The FPS saved could be used to create forest areas which again allows for exploration. Not to mention the underwater camera provided with Aquas allows underwater exploration, and you can make the terrain diverse by splitting up the fauna so each part has a certain feel even without changing the terrain texture. Even the islands I made some time ago the terrain again was flat, just because I wanted to save the FPS for other things and I didn't get the impression the scene was boring because of this. Not to mention the fact that you can use a much larger single terrain as it uses far fewer drawcalls. When it's finally finished I'll share the video and maybe you'll see my point :) Though I'm not at all saying hills and mountains aren't useful, the stamps shots you've shared look beautiful, and I know for those making Lord of the Rings style RPG games that not having mountains is simply not an option because in some ways it defines the genre.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. Teila

Teila

Adventures can happen in the Egyptian desert, which is relatively flat or in the African Savannah or in the swamps of South Carolina, definitely flat. Antarctica could make for an amazing adventure.

A true adventurer, like Jon, knows that adventures can happen anywhere. And to be honest, a bad guy or creature can run a lot faster and catch you much easier on flat ground than in mountains. You should see an alligator run! lol

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I know this going to sound odd, but I can totally agree. I guess I just like diversity. I totally love your savannah shots you've been sharing in the Gaia thread. I do like areas like that but I like to have it broken up with some hills or mountains in the mix. I don't know if you played World of Warcraft or not, but The Barrens is a good example. For the most part it was a vast and barren savannah with a few oasis, some slight hills. But in a couple of areas there were mountains and part of the zone borders were comprised of mountains. I guess that is one of the great thing about Gaia's stamp system. I could, for example, take your savannah and take a couple of mountain and hill stamps and blend in and odd mountain in the middle of it somewhere. You aren't stuck with stamping just one stamp. But I totally get what you guys are saying. But I also have fond memories of hunting in Highhold Keep zone in EQ1 and some other zones which were pretty much mazes of ravines and chasms.

And for the record, I'm not necessarily looking to create stamps that just fit my play style. I'm really open to suggestions of the types of stamps you guys want to see. I do have plans for some packs that will feature more plains and desert type features down the road. :)

jonfinlay likes this.
  19. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

ROFL.. You never did make a video of that alligator did you? lol

And very true.. Speaking of Antarctica, I have polar type landscape stamp pack and polar POI pack planned for December. (if not before then)

jonfinlay likes this.
  20. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

haha I'm not a true adventurer, sadly! In fact I love simulation games the most, my favourite game of all time is Silent Hunter III, whereby you spend most of the game literally searching for enemy conveys in a vast empty ocean. This I think is a game Shawn definitely wouldn't appreciate! But in any case looking forward to seeing more of your packs in the future, it's always good to work on something we enjoy doing.

21. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think you pegged me there! lol Not sure I'd like Silent Hunter.. I'm more of the puzzles/quests/adventure type person. And I'm a bit odd in the mmo games I've played because I'm not an end-gamer.. I find the whole notion of "end-game" ridiculous. How can you have "end-game" in a game that doesn't end? Makes no sense to me. lol I like to explore all the nooks and crannies of the game world.

And thanks Jon. I have pretty much become a terrain addict since starting to work with Adam's beta team. And I used to HATE terrain. Just ask @Teila. We were in a skype group before getting involved with Gaia. I could NEVER get any kind of results I was happy with and pretty much hated terrain. So Gaia kind of flip flopped me. And as much as what I've been doing with it, these packs are a natural progression. My game has kind of been stalled, so at least this lets me do something productive since I can't seem to focus on the game! rofl

And thanks for watching. Hopefully at some point, I'll get some packs on the market that match your needs. Keep me posted if there are particular things you might be looking for. :)

jonfinlay likes this.
  22. Teila

Teila

Is that not an adventure in the historical context? Were not the colonials that hunted lions in Africa not adventurers even as they hunted? :)

I guess I could go on all day with this! lol

jonfinlay likes this.
  23. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

QUIT derailing my thread! :p :p :p :p

KIDDING! :) A little derailing ok when in context.. heheh

TheSeawolf and Teila like this.
  24. Teila

Teila

But..isn't that my job, Shawn??? :p

25. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Updated second post with projected schedule. Depending on popularity and my schedule, I may release more frequently. I need to see how long it is going to take to get the companion packs put together and released before committing to anything more than once a month. Once a month is a definite, with two packs in December. I'm thinking one of those will be a bonus pack that I'll do each year. Give it to people who have bought all of the stamps packs for the year for free (if I can get my website coded for you to register your invoice numbers to your account there) and for sale as a regular pack to everyone else.

As for the companion packs, I'm just getting ready to start the first one. I'll start a thread for them with more info once I'm a bit further along.

26. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

This will help out a lot. Very much looking forward to the more flat areas.

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  27. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I have a few flatter ones planned down the road. I know I just mention dates up above, but actually have the packs mapped out (at least what I'm planning to do) for the rest of the year.

Also, don't forget the trick that Adam and I mentioned above where you can lower the height in the Stamper when you stamp your terrain. Doing this, you can even take mountain, mesa and hill stamps and create some pretty awesome terrains that are still flat enough for your villages or other flatter gamplay preferences. :)

And I forgot and left the POI Pack in my newsflash box at the top of the pages on my site. So that cat is out of the bag. The companion packs I mentioned above will be complete POI Packs. At this point, the only model artist I have on board is Cobus(@S4G4N ) from 3DForge. So the pack that I am working on right now will feature five custom POIs along with custom blueprints for the POIs using the 3DForge Interior and Exterior Kits. Just like the blueprints on Cobus' website, these will just be the prefabs. You will still need his kits for them to work. Each POI may have anywhere from two to ten buildings meaning at least 10 new blueprints and each building will come with both clear and opaque windows.

My goal is to build a network of artists who are interested in cross promotion of their assets (as their assets will still need to be owned by the user to use the POIs/blueprints) so I can get a variety of different types of villages/outposts/etc ready to be spawned by you guys with the Gaia POI spawners. If you are an artist or know an artist who is willing to collaborate, put them in touch with me. :)

PhoenixRising1 and S4G4N like this.
  28. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

That's a very good point, thanks :).

29. Teila

Teila

Only problem with that is that there will be dozens of games out there with the same exact scene. That You Tube guy will be after you, Shawn! LOL

30. smada-luap

smada-luap

Only if they're not creative enough to tweak the settings :) lol

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto @smada luap . Not everyone is lazy and just throws in a stamp. Rotating, changing height, changing width, even different sea levels give you a totally different perspective from one person to another. The screenshot you posted above @Teila, I didn't even recognize it because when I stamped it I may have smoothed it more.

Also, my general workflow is to not just use one stamp. I will choose one for a base and then I'll blend several more with it. By the time I'm done, I may have used 20-30 different stamps.. Well, maybe 10 different stamps but I might use the same one several times changing dimensions and rotations as I work around the base stamp. People wanting unique terrains will do this. Or maybe you'll just lay down the base stamp and go into session manager, turn on randomizer and see what it picks. :)

Edit: Oh.. And I have no idea what YouTube guy you are talking about, but to be honest.. I really don't care.. let him come.. lol I'm building packs to help people be able to get more out of Gaia. I can't control how they use it. But as long as it works for them and they are happy, I could care less what some YouTube wannabe thinks... heheh

32. smada-luap

smada-luap

Wonder if Teila is referring to the contact I had tonight trying to wrangle a free copy of my asset?

33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

No clue.. I was thinking maybe whoever it was that says all unity games look the same.. Wasn't that some youtube person or something? Not sure... But come to think of it now that you mention it, I did see you guys talking about that as the beta chat scrolled by.. Haven't really been able to follow it that closely. @AdamGoodrich and @NemoKrad had to distract me today by tweeting about my packs which forced me to work on social media profiles for Backwoods Gaming (which I've been procrastinating on)... lol

NemoKrad likes this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And here's where we ended up :)

Making the scene in Gaia didn't take long at all - the time was in lighting and post fx. Just goes to show how lovely these stamp packs really are :)

36. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Woohoo .....yet another high quality asset for me to purchase. I' m going to need a kick starter project just to be able to buy Gaia related assets and endorsements :)

Well done Shawn67, I am looking forward to these!

Whippets, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  37. Whippets

Whippets

Don't forget to add Distingo to your purchase list!

38. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Ha, I already got sucked into buying Distingo thankfully :) and now I'm going to have to buy @NemoKrad 's terrain map asset too.

@Shawn67 , how long do you think until your assets are 50% off? :)

Also a serious question, do you see your village stamps being used to create village placement areas within other stamps? Or are these stamps 2048 x 2048 for really large villages?

Teila, NemoKrad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  39. smada-luap

smada-luap

Perhaps once he's sold a few thousand copies :D rofl

TheSeawolf and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  40. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol.. Tough crowd! :p In all seriousness though, they are so cheap I doubt I will put on sale. I am, however, working on setting up commerce on my website so I can also sell there. With that I plan to add a points reward system in which you may earn points with each purchase. Points may then be later redeemed for free packs. I will also work to figure out how to integrate the unity invoice API so you can eventually log your unity invoices for packs on the website to claim points from packs you purchase from Asset Store and not the site. So hopefully I can find ways to creatively reward repeat customers and still eat. heheh

I have tested all of the stamps on 2048 x 2048 terrains. So they may fill the whole terrain if that is how you want to use them. However, all of the stamps I make (and will make in the future - with the only exception being a multi-tile grid stamp set) have the feature area in the center of the stamp. What this means is it should allow you to easily use the masking features Adam added to stamping to just stamp the middle of the stamp. In the case of the village area stamp, the most ideal spot to spawn villages will be in the center point of the stamp. That isn't to say there aren't other ideal spots for villages to spawn, just the most ideal is going to be very close to the center. This also means it should work well with the new stamp randomizer option within Session Manager.

TheSeawolf and NemoKrad like this.
  41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Well... No word from the Asset Store yet, but my web store is now live. The free version of the points system is installed and will start tracking points immediately. I'll have to make some money before I can buy the pro version which allows spending of the points, but they should start tracking already. :) I'll have to dig into writing a plug-in for folks to turn in Unity Asset Store invoice #s for purchases made here to get your points, but that will be coming down the road. I can do them manually in the interim.

At any rate, I have a few more website things I want to line out and then I can get back into Unity. My original plan to integrate the store into my main site didn't work out well because of my theme. I spent several days trying to figure out how to work around the issues and finally gave up. The only thing any searches were returning was an integration app for $50, which I don't have. lol So I ended up trying to figure out how to sync users between two different installs. Spent a day messing with that before giving up and converting my single site install to a multisite install since I was able to find a user sync plugin for multisite. So now everything is synced up, links to the web store are now on all the various pages along with asset store links (which will give a 404 error until Unity approves the asset store submissions), and links are added back the other direction from the store.

Eventually the stamp glossary and screenshot galleries that are on the info page for each pack on the main site will be integrated into tabs on the products pages on the store site. Unfortunately that is another plugin where I can only do that in the pro version. So there will be lots of improvements to the store as time progresses and I can afford to update a few things to the paid versions. But for now, it is ready to go for anyone who wants to buy now. :)

The store is accessible via links from the main Backwoods Gaming site or directly by going to the Backwoods Asset Store. Unity Asset Store hopefully coming soon.... :)

TonyLi, TeagansDad, jonfinlay and 2 others like this.
  42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Asset store submission was five business days ago but feels like it has been forever... lol still no word but things have going well with the web store. Thanks to those of you who have already purchased. I checked the points system and points are accumulating to your accounts with your purchases. Will have details on points exchanges for packs in the weeks to come.

With all the work getting submission stuff ready and then building the store, I have fallen behind on the March pack. The original plan was to rework the island stamps that I had prepped and then pulled due to having some weird places in the stamps, but at this point I don't think I'll have enough time to get them done and submitted by the 15th. So the islands pack will end up being volume 4 and for the March pack I am going to bump up the deserts that I had planned for later since there seems to be a lot of interest in flatter areas. I should have it live on the web store and submitted to the asset store by the 15th.

Please remember to rate and review wherever you purchase. I also have a similar system on the web store. Even though the two aren't linked together, ratings and reviews help future customers with purchase decisions. And as stated before, any suggestions are welcome and if you have any issues, feel free to contact me either here or at support@backwoodsgaming.com.

TonyLi, jonfinlay and TeagansDad like this.
  43. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hurry up asset store, I want to give money to this guy!

44. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I know a lot of people prefer the asset store for purchasing assets. But if you are good with purchasing on web store, they are already available there.. http://assets.backwoodsgaming.com

Packs are $5 each and come with a variety of stamps for the category of the pack. I'm working on Desert Stamps Pack for my March 15 release and may try to squeeze another pack in before my schedule April 15 pack release.

Web store will have packs as soon as they are complete. Unity Asset Store will always be delayed until they get through the review process.

Also, as this is a Gaia add-on.. I provide @AdamGoodrich with each pack before I take it live. At least that is how we did these two packs and I plan on doing the next few until he tells me to quit bugging him and just keep submitting... lol

45. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah I did see that. I just want to avoid off site purchases. I already do it with ProCore's stuff and it can be a little annoying jumping site to site to site to get things now and then. Like to have it all in one place if possible.

hopeful and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  46. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Totally understand. Just pointing out the option was there. Hopefully we can get asset store approved by the weekend. Next Monday will be the estimated 10 business days. Would be nice to get it in there before the weekend though... heheh

wolfen231 likes this.
  47. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah. Shopping time for others I imagine haha.

48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  49. tapticc

tapticc

Picked up both packs, had some trouble getting both into my basket at first for some reason lol but they imported nicely :)

50. tapticc

tapticc

Erm I must have done something wrong lol

Can you share some recommended terrain settings for Vol2Volcanoes004? I used the Utilities, Scanner to convert your image to a stamp, added it to a terrain and reduced the height only slightly and it's looking a little Minecraft-esque