Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Automating builds with Jenkins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jerome-lacoste, Apr 16, 2015.

1. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

UPDATE (2017/08/31): we have moved away from using the Unity3d plugin in Jenkins. We wanted to have the ability to replicate more of the commands locally. So we have created the u3d tool to download/install/run unity from the command line. See https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/u...stall-run-unity-from-the-command-line.491808/ for more information.

The original Jenkins plugin is still there of course. It is maintained by the community of Jenkins users and developers.
    -------------------

Automating builds is a great way to be more productive and more professional.

At WeWantToKnow, we target 8 different platforms. Doing this by hand would be very time consuming. So we have lots of automated jobs. Currently over 100 jobs, with over 60 Unity3d ones.

Here's a example of the jobs for one of our products, DragonBox Elements.

Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 11.07.01.png
    There are multiple ways to achieve this with Unity3d, for example using the Cloud Build service. Others might prefer to use a custom / personnal build server like Jenkins. For example if you cannot use Cloud solutions, or need more control of the build processes.

A few years ago, I developed the Unity3d Jenkins plugin (https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Unity3dBuilder Plugin), and this thread is open here for people to give their feedback, share their use cases or just network a bit.

Also, if you want to help improving the plugin or just working on tools related to build automation, feel free to take contact. I am open for hacking sessions, etc.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. cp_sn

cp_sn

hey jerome,

first of all thanks for developing the plugin.

i ran into some trouble, maybe you can help? disclaimer: i'm a first time jenkins user and do usually work under windows.

after installing the whole thing and setting up java (what fun that is under osx) i happily installed your plugin, set up my job and it ran up until the point where it tried to copy files (it was the xcode project file i think). so i guess it had something to do with the access rights. so i had a look where all that stuff got placed.

i was surprised to see the jenkins workspace under /Users/dev/.jenkins instead of /Users/Shared/Jenkins. but if it is allowed to create all those files under /Users/dev it has to be the dev user executing the build process which in turn wouldnt make sense because then the file copying should work as the target folder was under /Users/dev too.

so i did what i learned from windows: i restarted.

when i logged into the jenkins web interface after that there were no more jobs and all my settings were gone. when i added a new job i saw why: now the workspace is /Users/Shared/Jenkins. well, ok, i thought and added the plugin and set up the job again. now it fails because it cannot acquire the graphics resources as you stated on the plugin site (The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'). so i guess that is because i am logged in as dev, but jenkins runs as the (somewhat hidden) jenkins user?

so.. maybe you're a superhero and understood all that mess i've been talking :)

cheers

EDIT:
    ok, i'm logged in as the jenkins user now. i'm not really comfortable with that, but i really want to see a successful build :)
    problem stays the same, it cannot copy:
    Error building Player: IOException: Failed to Copy File / Directory from 'Temp/StagingArea/Trampoline/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj' to '/Users/Shared/Jenkins/Target/x/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj'.

i've tried copying the file via terminal (same user) and that works.. :/

EDIT2:
    i've manually created the target folder for the project.pbxproj file, so it gets copied now, yay. next problem is:
    Error building Player: DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory '/Users/Shared/Jenkins/Target/mellerud/Data' not found.

so it seems like unity or your plugin (or whoever tries to copy the files) is not able to create the folders. any idea?

EDIT3:
    it was BuildOptions.AcceptExternalModificationsToPlayer which only applies to "append"-builds and does not work work for the first one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Hello cp_sn, a bit hard to troubleshoot things from here, but I'll try.

WRT to troubleshooting, I recommend that you look at https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display...#Unity3dBuilderPlugin-Troubleshootingfailures . Try the various steps from there.

WRT to your target directory, my target directories are always related to my jobs. This to avoid issues in the long run. Do you have the same setup ? It doesn't look from your examples.

As for appending, I tend to make build clean projects (remove data before hand). Appending has caused me problems in the past when removing files. The speedup wasn't worth it for me.

4. strich

strich

Hey. I just stumbled upon this plugin. Looks really nice! Is it still actively used and developed? Happy to contribute if I find any bugs/gaps over the next week.

5. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Hei strich. The plugin is used and developed. I am considering rewriting it from scratch using a set of ruby wrappers but I don't know how usable that would be in Windows land.

Otherwise if you want to tackle issues, feel free to look the wiki page. Maybe https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-29722

Feel free to take contact.

6. strich

strich

You shouldn't rewrite if it's going to break cross-platform. I'll probably touch base again in a week or so once I have a good feel for the plugin and Jenkins in general.

7. ruslan.k

ruslan.k

Hi, Jerome! I've been using your plugin for a long time and it's doing great job so thank you! Recently I've had a question, is there a possibility to have 2 different versions of Unity on build machine with Jenkins and configure which version to use for particular build? For example, to make some updates for old projects I want to use pre-5.3 Unity version, and for my new projects I want use newest Unity version.

8. Nihil688

Nihil688

any suggestions on which plugin to use to upload to the new testflight within apple?

9. Alloc

Alloc

Hi Jerome,

this is not an issue with your plugin, but as you are using Jenkins with Unity3D you might have some idea on this issue ...
    I've set up Jenkins to run a build with the exact same arguments that we used when running the builds through manually started batch scripts. Running the batch manually on the build server works fine, when Jenkins starts a build though (no matter if through a Windows Batch build step or your plugin) it always fails at updating a sound file with a hard crash. Even the same stack trace each time and there doesn't seem to be any record of that issue on the net so far.
    End of the log can be seen here: http://pastebin.com/D7g6fHUq

Wonder if you had any idea what might cause this. The only difference I can see at all between manually invoking the build and having Jenkins do it is that Jenkins runs as a service. But I suppose it does so for everyone so if this was the problem it should affect anyone that does Unity builds through Jenkins?!

I'm really at a loss here currently :(

Regards,
    Chris

10. Alloc

Alloc

Ok, seems to be solved. The important hint was at the start of the Unity log:
    Code (csharp):
    1. FMOD failed to get driver capabilities ... Error initializing output device.
    I don't know why it worked with the manually run build but not the one from Jenkins, but starting the Windows service "Windows Audio" fixed the Jenkins one.

11. jaspercayne

jaspercayne

Kind of a necro post, but since there hasn't been any new versions in some time I'm assuming this thread is still semi active. After getting a local git server running, installing Jenkins, and setting up your plugin, I seen to be unable to build a project through Jenkins. If I run my script from Unity there are no problems, but from Jenkins not a single one of my assets gets copied to the build folder. Library and project settings move just fine so I don't believe it has anything to do with permissions. The code works fine from outside of Jenkins however, which points towards permission issues. Help? Unity 5.3.2f1, Windows 7 x64, Unity, git, and Jenkins are all local. Jenkins is still the system user as per default install options, the plugin is definitely running, but I don't get any assets moved over to the build workspace, and no build is actually output. Stranger still is the fact that everything completes in the build step and moves on to the next step without error. Please let me know if you need further information.

12. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Hello @jaspercayne

I haven't monitored this thread properly, hence the lack of responses :)

Have you tried the plugin troubleshooting section, in particular check the section about the -logFile argument, running the command in a Windows batch command, as a jenkins Batch script or in a CMD,

If those 2 works, then the problem could be in the plugin. Otherwise it's most probably external.

13. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Thanks @Alloc, that problem is apparently affecting several games running 5.x. The internal logging mechanism in unity makes it sometimes hard to view these issues in the large log files.

14. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@Nihil688 I am using fastlane for all our automation needs. Not really a jenkins plugin though, but integrates well as long as you have it installed on your server.

15. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@ruslan.k it is possible to install many versions of Unity on the same machine. The plugin documentation points to some ways of doing it

16. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Does this work with Jenkins 2.0?

17. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@longroadhwy AFAIK Jenkins 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0. The version was bumped for marketing/roadmap reasons :)

18. Nihil688

Nihil688

Hey thanks for that @jerome.lacoste , I've been trying to integrate that since your post but I've been having issues, any guides out there?

I have found this: https://labs.kunstmaan.be/blog/ios-continuous-delivery-with-jenkins-and-fastlane but it's a bit fiddly with unity builds and I can't seem to get it working

19. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Hello Jerome, I've been using your great unity plugin for quite some time now in combination with jenkins, and it works like a charm, thank you for that! But I have to admit I have a problem with the new Jenkins pipeline project type and getting it to run properly. I am aware of the "tool" command that retrieves the current location of Unity in combination with potential automatic install. Problem is, I haven't yet figured out a way to use your plugin to actually execute the build process inside the pipeline. The reason is of course to get "live" access to what is happening inside the build process. I could of course dump the editor.log file right after the build has run, but in the past I have run into endless loops in the build process which I wouldn't be able to detect except for taking a look at the editor.log on the according node - or using your plugin :)

Right now, my pipeline code looks something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. node('unity') {
    3.    // Mark the code checkout 'stage'....
    4.    stage 'Checkout'
    5.    git env.GITREPOLOCATION
    7.    def WORKSPACE = pwd()
    8.    def unityHome = tool name: 'Unity current', type: 'org.jenkinsci.plugins.unity3d.Unity3dInstallation'
    10.    stage 'Build Maingame'
    11.    bat "\"${unityHome}\\Editor\\Unity.exe\" -projectPath \"${WORKSPACE}\\myproject\" -quit -batchmode -executeMethod BuildCraftyProject.PerformWindowsDevBuild \"-targetdir ${WORKSPACE}/build/\""
    13.    stage 'Build Bundles'
    14.    bat "\"${unityHome}\\Editor\\Unity.exe\" -projectPath \"${WORKSPACE}\\myproject\" -quit -batchmode -executeMethod BuildCraftyProject.PerformBundlesBuildWindows \"-targetdir ${WORKSPACE}/corebuild/\""
    15. }
    Sorry if the answer is obvious, I'm a coder but not yet familiar with what groovy can actually do or not do. And thanks for any help on this! :)

20. ynedelin

ynedelin

Hi Guys,
    we start having Unity Pro license problems with Jenkins recently. We are not using Unity Plug -in, just running unity command line from batch files and DOS commands. We do not have a way to reproduce this yet, seems random right now. It maybe linked to number of concurrent jobs on the same machine, before it was only two and now we started adding a third one. After doing a couple of builds Unity forgets the license and logs this:

BatchMode: Unity has not been activated with a valid License. Could be a new activation or renewal...
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Windows/WinEditorMain.cpp Line: 795)

DisplayProgressbar: Unity license
    Canceling DisplayDialog: Failed to activate/update license. Missing or bad username and password. Please try again using valid credentials or contact support@unity3d.com

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Windows/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 1148)

after manual reset it seem to run for a bit and then the same thing happens.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yury

21. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@ynedelin

Yuri,

I have not seen this error. But I am not on Windows and we are just migrating to the seat licensing model.

I could see this happening if for example the seat licensing model requires to check the server every now and then and forces you to pass your unity user/password again.

Questions
    * are you using Unity seats (as opposed to previous licensing model)?
    * are you passing your user/password argument to unity when running it?

Another problem I have is that I am unable to activate a license without opening the editor GUI, which is rather unpractical for setting up build servers.

Cheers,

Jerome

22. ikriz

ikriz

have you tried the following commandline argument?

-serial <serial> Activate Unity with the specified serial key. It is good practice to pass the -batchmode and -quit arguments as well, in order to quit Unity when done, if using this for automated activation of Unity. Please allow a few seconds before the license file is created, because Unity needs to communicate with the license server. Make sure that license file folder exists, and has appropriate permissions before running Unity with this argument. If activation fails, see the Editor.log for info.

23. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@ikriz yes I've tried that. From my PoV, this is broken. I found several messages online and no-one has a solution for this.

I contacted support but it takes a bit of time before they answer...

24. FredericBautista

FredericBautista

Hello

I'm looking to automate a PS4 build and eventually how I could speed up build time which are around 1h30 on a 4 core i7 running on a SSD. The project is about 350go assests with a ~30go package size. Package size is meant to shrink down sometimes soon after some tweaks on the textures import settings but the project size will remain about the same :)

Any hint where I should start is welcome :D

Thanks.

25. 3agle

3agle

This isn't at all related to Jenkins or automation.
    However I would look into AssetBundles. The chances are you aren't changing most of those assets from build-to-build, so separate them out into an asset bundle that gets built once and ignored for your main branch changes.

There's plenty of documentation about reducing file size https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ReducingFilesize.html
    Also use a Cache Server if you aren't already. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CacheServer.html

26. FredericBautista

FredericBautista

Well, I did not ask any help about reducing build size.

If you try to reread my post you'll see that I actually asked about automating the build. Which I believe has something to do with automating the build unless I am mistaken.

Build and input asset size are here as information for those can eventually impact the process of automation which I am interested in.

I also asked EVENTUALLY about speeding up build time (through distributed build for instance) which I reckon might need a little more insight to see the link with Jenkins (In the given link about the plugin there is a note about such distributed build, I'm not sure it's easy to implement in a full scale project at end of production though...)

Thanks anyway.

27. 3agle

3agle

What help do you need specifically with automation? Do you have a Jenkins server set up?

Reducing build size will reduce build time, there's not much else to it. Asset bundles and cache server is the easiest way to make builds faster. That's separate from automation since it's something that applies to both manual and automated builds.

28. FredericBautista

FredericBautista

We already have a Jenkins server that can process the PC build of the project, I am interested in a simple way to automate the PS4 build and eventually the XBoxOne build from there. As this is just a secondary task, I'm looking for a solution that implies as little work as possible. I came here from the plugin page as it seemed to maybe suits my need.

29. 3agle

3agle

We use a build function to determine, based on an XML file in the project, which platforms need to be built.
    Then the unity script simply switches platforms and performs builds for each platform required, into different folders in the workspace of course.

From the Jenkins side this would be just the same as how you are doing the PC builds, but with some extra unity code to switch platforms and do more builds.

Unless it is the triggering of the build that you wish to change? Currently we trigger a build on any commit that has the string '[build]' in it, which required modification of the GitLab plugin we are using for source control in Jenkins. Then platforms to build are determined within Unity.

30. FredericBautista

FredericBautista

Alright thanks, i'll try to do the same.

31. ynedelin

ynedelin

Jerome,
    thank you for responding, I have added the serial, username and password to the command line flags and this problem of licensing seem to go away.

We are having another issue with multiple builds started at the exactly the same time, when two job builds that usually by themselves take 15 minutes each would be spinning for an hour and eventually one job would die and another finishes. to avoid it I started scheduling builds with 5 minute offsets but that's not pretty.

32. avinash-sunnasy-bydeluxe-com

avinash-sunnasy-bydeluxe-com

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for making this great plugin.
    Unfortunately I’m stuck on a very simple problem within a Windows node.

17:56:25 FATAL: No Unity3d Installation on this node
    17:56:25 Build step 'Invoke Unity3d Editor' marked build as failure

I have a Linux master that won’t be used for building and a windows slave that will.
    I’ve also sent my job to build on the windows slave only. The location of Unit3d on the slave machine is "C:\Program Files\Unity 5.6.0b9\Editor\Unity.exe"

Manage Jenkins-> Global Tool Configuration->Unity3d
    Name = Unity 5.6.0b9 (64-bit)
    Installation Directory = C:/Program Files/Unity 5.6.0b9/

Jenkins->Nodes->Jenkins-Slave1
    Tool Locations = True
    Name = Unity 5.6.0b9 (64-bit)
    Home = C:/Program Files/Unity 5.6.0b9/

I've also changed the / to \ but no luck.

Is anyone in the community this plugin on Windows and had a similar issue.

Thanks,

Avinash.

33. avinash-sunnasy-bydeluxe-com

avinash-sunnasy-bydeluxe-com

Install Unity on your Linux master. Set your linux master's Unity path to /opt/Unity/ on global tool configuration. Thanks to Jerome for the clues!

34. soljakwinever

soljakwinever

35. itfcjim

itfcjim

Hi all

Do you guys know where the Unity batchmode build process puts the built APK file? My build says it succeeded, and the log file output all looks good, but I can't find the APK anywhere?

Thanks

36. 4fthawaiian

4fthawaiian

Hi,

Just wondering whether you've tried using this to create "Unity Pro" builds. No matter what I do, I wind up with the unity splash screen in the app, and features that require pro disabled. Any thoughts?

TIA!

37. 3agle

3agle

Make sure you have the 'Project Settings' folder commited into the repository.
    Additionally you might want to make sure the unity installation on your build server is also activated with Unity Pro.
    You should see a message about licensing in the build log if there is a problem with that though.

38. 4fthawaiian

4fthawaiian

I'll look into this, as I've never heard of it, which is odd. Thanks! The rest of your suggestions I've already looked into, so I think we're good. Cheers!

39. 3agle

3agle

Project Settings includes the file setting that says whether to use the splash screen or not. If they aren't committed into version control, your build server will assume default settings, which I think has splash screen on.

40. 4fthawaiian

4fthawaiian

Thanks so much for the help! I actually fixed most of the issue by blowing away the unity license file and signing in again in the GUI.

We're still having a weird issue with some of our UI buttons not functioning properly in Jenkins builds, which keeps them from being useful, but I think I'm past the licensing stuff. Cheers!

41. PIGSSS-GAMES

PIGSSS-GAMES

I have an issue about [executeMethod class 'AutomateBuild' could not be found.] when working with Jerkins but its work fine if run directly on OSX terminal.

my build.sh look something like this
    /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity \​
    -quit \
    -batchmode \
    -nographics \
    -projectPath /path/AutomateTest \
    -executeMethod MyNameSpace.AutomateBuild.BuildAndroid

And in Jerkins I have put something like this
    -quit -batchmode -nographics -projectPath=/path/AutomateTest/ -executeMethod PG.AutomateBuild.AndroidBuild
    But got an error :
    executeMethod class 'AutomateBuild' could not be found.
    Argument was -executeMethod PG.AutomateBuild.AndroidBuild
    -peojectPath were changed to '=' instead of ' ' (space) otherwise the path will not be set.

42. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@PIGSSS-GAMES

If unity doesn't find the class it's either you forgot to have it in your project (git your git/hg/perforce setup) or you point to the wrong place. Some tips:

If your project is stored in your job workspace (e.g. checked out with source control) use

-projectPath $WORKSPACE

instead of hardcoding a path. You may need to adjust to your relative path if needed, e.g. -projectPath $WORKSPACE/sub/directory.

Also consider adding the -logFile argument to store the log file in your projet (e.g. -logFile $WORKSPACE/unity.log)

43. PIGSSS-GAMES

PIGSSS-GAMES

That was fast respond thank you.

I have unity project store at /Users/MYNAME/Works/TEST_Project since this is just testing project so I didn't setup any git system, just plain project. I see that in Jerkins's workspace contain Unity's structure folders so its mean Jerkins tried to call -executeMethod from that place instead of -projectPath?

Could it be work by just point to /Users/ANYONE/Unity_Project?

I'm fairly new to Jerkins and Unity CLI.

44. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

Got it. Then you need the -projectPath /Your/Absolute/Project/Path argument (I am not sure if the = argument works. I haven't used that before). I suspect that the use of equal sign will break your command line.

To test things, make sure you use the same exact command line on the terminal and on jenkins.

45. zukinet

zukinet

46. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

@zukinet it should. If you have any issue, please report them on github!

47. PIGSSS-GAMES

PIGSSS-GAMES

Not sure if this plugin related but I have encounter a very long wait and it stuck at
    its output .apk as expected but operation never finished

working on osx High Sierra , tired
    without succeed

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  48. HJISTC

HJISTC

How to failed the process of jenkins build when a error occur in custom ediotr script of my own build process

49. cd1936

cd1936

I am not sure where to add the install_unity3d.sh file. Should it be in the Execute Shell Build section of the jenkins project?

I am receiving this error in my build form Jenkins
    "/Users/Shared/Jenkins/tmp/jenkins5415394530378959889.sh: line 4: download_install_unity3d.sh: command not found
    Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure"

50. wwtk_unity2

wwtk_unity2

@cd1936 in your case you didn't make that script available to your job's PATH. It can either be in the repo or installed on the server.

note: we now use u3d, a ruby tool we wrote, to download and install Unity. See http://github.com/DragonBox/u3d/