Search Unity

AudioClip.GetSpectrumData in webgl?

Discussion in 'Web' started by Crazy-Minnow-Studio, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

This doesn't seem to be available in webgl, I believe this method previously leveraged the FMOD GetSpectrum method. Does anyone know if Unity has posted an API for webgl on what is and isn't available in the current build somewhere that I can't seem to find?

Thanks

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

This API is not supported and won't be any time soon - we are not using FMOD on WebGL, but a custom audio layer using the Web Audio API (which is somewhat limited in what it can do).

3. gfoot

gfoot

Crazy-Minnow-Studio likes this.
  4. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the response. I understand this is a preview build, but do you know if the plan is to build similar functionality around the Web Audio API to replicate the capabilities provided by fmod before official release, after official release, or never?

I'm asking because we have an asset that leverages this capability, and we'd prefer to not pursue wheel reinvention if it's in the eventual official plans.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

6. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

A lot of what FMOD does cannot possibly be replicated in FMOD. For things which can be, we will look at them one by one. I think having actual audio feature parity between WebGL and other platforms can only happen when we can run FMOD on WebGL. That, otoh, requires threading support, which WebGL does not have yet. I expect that to change eventually, but that is looking at long-term options.

7. Simon_says

Simon_says

Any news regarding this? Or still "not possible and won't happen soon"? I have a game which relies on audio and this is a very big limitation of this platform...

8. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, this still falls under "not possible and won't happen soon".

9. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Simon_says,

If you need this now you have to write it in native javascript to tap the underlying browsers implementation of Web Audio API, make calls to it from Unity, and pass data back and forth. It's clunky compared to Unity's FMOD wrapper on all other platforms, and the output data will look a bit different as well, but it does work.

The content in these links will point you in the right direction.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/webgl-lipsyncing.328728/

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-interactingwithbrowserscripting.html

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Audio_API/Visualizations_with_Web_Audio_API

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Simon_says likes this.
  10. Revolter

Revolter

That's really sad to hear. I was planning to do a music video with a visualizer for my friend's band, only to discover that the visualizer does not react in the webgl build.

radiantboy likes this.
  11. Pedro-M

Pedro-M

Please you could give as an example https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/webgl-lipsyncing.328728/
    The point is I do not know how to apply the scripts in the scene, and my English is not good enough to understand everything.
    Please build a sample case and send us, it would help a lot

12. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

For anyone interested in getting easy access to amplitude and spectrum data on the WebGL platform, we finally cracked this nut, and are offering it as a well polished asset for anyone that wants to avoid the drudgery we went through to get it all working well. We really needed this as an option to allow our SALSA Lipsync system to work on WebGL. We also created a couple of free downloadable add-on's for owners that allow easy beat detection trigger events and simple SALSA integration. For those that prefer to go it alone, the necessary information is already included in this thread.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/audio/amplitude-for-webgl-111277

13. underseaaa

underseaaa

14. radiantboy

radiantboy

I would like to know too, can webgl use a mic and then get unity objects reacting ? or still not possible ? I too would like to write a webgl based sound reactive app for use in clubs using the mic.

15. radiantboy

radiantboy

did you ever figure this out?

16. Revolter

Revolter

No, sorry. I gave up

radiantboy likes this.
  17. radiantboy

radiantboy

I swear I found a github repos that claimed to do it, but I cant find it again.

18. radiantboy

radiantboy