Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ats color map ULTRA shader [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Oct 17, 2012.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Can this be used with Skyshop IBL in latest version ? Are there any plans for integration ?

Thanks

2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the shader does not pick up skyshop’s ambient lighting at the moment.
    however, it should not be a big deal to add this functionality as it still is a "regular" surface shader.

lars

3. fairchild670

fairchild670

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this shader in Unity 5? I realize the beta was just released today, but I decided to try it out and may have found a potential bug.

I loaded up a project and most of the terrain appears as pink. At least depending on the camera distance (or so it seems). The debug version of the shader seems to work as expected though.

Here's a shot from the "Scene" view with the standard version of the shader. All of the textures and slots are still populated with the correct textures (from Unity 4.6). The pink areas change depending on where the camera is positioned.

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

unity 5 is still in beta and developing pretty agile.
    so right now a can’t really rewrite the shaders to work correctly with the latest beta: things might just break in the next release.
    as soon as unity 5 is out i will have a look into this.

lars

5. Marcurios

Marcurios

Hi Lars,

the colormap painting tool doesn't work if i import my own colormap.png file.
    It only works with your demo.
    Is there something i'm missing ?

EDIT: Nevermind, i found it, had to set the texture to RGB 24-bit

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  6. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

I'm trying to use this asset and I have a few questions after trying to set it up with my own terrain.

1) How do I make a 'combined normal map' from two source normal maps?
    2) I have your shader attached to my terrain, all the relevant detail textures assigned to my terrain, as well as the color map, normal map, splat maps... but only the colormap is showing up so far, and none of the details from the detail maps are visible from any distance. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I'm probably missing something really obvious on one of the settings somewhere but I can't figure out what.

7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

you can either use the script (see: "Create combined Detail Normal Maps" in the docs) or photoshop. in case you use phtoshop you have to access the color channels of your normal maps:
    - red of normal 1 goes to red of the combined tex
    - green of normal 1 goes to green of the combined tex
    - red of normal 2 goes to blue of the combined tex
    - green of normal 2 goes to alpha of the combined tex

i can think of 2 reasons (as you have written: "I have your shader attached to my terrain")
    - missing script on the terrain
    - terrain does not use the correct material
    those would be very obvious though...

lars

8. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

Thanks for your quick response, lars! I had the script and the shader attached to the terrain, but it turns out what I'd gotten wrong was that I was testing using a version of the scene in which the Unity-engine terrain wasn't in place, instead I'd been messing around with an .FBX equivalent. So of course your script did not behave the same way it would on a Unity-engine terrain, which meant a lot of critical features were missing!

It took me a little while to realize that just because the materials created by this toolkit can be applied to an .FBX terrain model, doesn't mean they can be made with one.

Now I've succeeded in mapping the color map, detail maps, normal maps and combined normal maps, and while it's still not quite right yet it's already shaping up to be way better than what I had been using before I found your work on the Asset store.

One question though: Do you think you'll ever make this (or another similar asset) work for other types of terrain formations and shapes that aren't suitable for the existing projection? I.e. vertical walls of a big steep cliff, the interior surfaces of a large cave, or the surface of a spherical planet? I know that this is not currently possible but if there were ever any way to map [textures] onto other planar axes, it'd open up more terrain design options. .

In short: I'm really liking the way your asset handles layers to create beautiful detail over a huge surface. It's just a shame that this more complex and realistic extension of the 'diffuse detail' concept can't be applied to other large objects that don't fit a typical terrain shape.

9. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

i am glad that you have solved your problem ;-)

talking about other projections:
    well, triplanar shading (which would be the solution i guess) is pretty expensive to render. and it would only solve the projection part – geometry would still keep being the same...
    so as the terrain is and most likely will be heightmap based which means that it does not allow you to model overhangs and fine structured cliffs i would stick with mesh blended geometry to add funky details to your terrain.
    i am not sure if you are familiar with rtp which is the most advanced terrain shading solution i am aware of: it supports triplanar texturing but its own (but never finished) island demo does not use it at all. instead it uses a lot of extra blended meshes: they are just much cheaper to render in most cases.

cheers, lars

10. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

I'm currently trying to remove some black spots from my terrain, they're little black squares.
    Referring to earlier in the thread, there's apparently a way to do this by reducing the opacity of the decals?

However, I've tried a number of approaches, making the decal textures all partially transparent, and also making sure that the splat map is not at 100% opacity on any points on any of the channels. I am still seeing some black squares. Not sure what I'm missing here. I'm told by the documentation that there is a 'target strength' setting somewhere that affects decal opacity, so that was the first thing I searched for but I don't see it anywhere.

What am I missing?

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    "target strength" is a value you can set up in the terrain engine when painting textures.

lars

12. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

I see the 'target strength' option, and have tried repainting the entire terrain from scratch using the built-in terrain tools and a target strength consistently below 1.0 while painting. Unfortunately, now every part of the terrain is pure black, so clearly I did something wrong.

I am starting to feel like a total idiot, and am not sure what to try next.

13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    well, target strength below 1.0 is only needed when painting decals (detail 7 and 8).
    all other textures of course can be added using full target strength.
    sorry, but i can not say any more from the little i know about your setup,

lars

14. Jenkaro

Jenkaro

Hi Lars, i have some problem with second splatmap, if i import splatmap1 texture, a have next effect(red arrow), if i paint a terrein by hands (blue arrow) all is well. http://take.ms/Boltl
    with splatmap0 is well

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi jenkaro,
    it might be that your imported splat map(s) does not fit the shader’s needs:
    the sum of all channels (2 splats * rgba) r1+g1+b1+a1+r2+g2+b2+a2 has to be 1.
    if you manually paint onto the terrain unity’s painting tools will automatically correct all values.
    so you will have to set those pixels of splat0 to balck where there is any color information in splat1.
    lars

16. ferlodeveloper

ferlodeveloper

Hi Lars, could be possible to use your shader for mesh instead of terrain?

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

theoretically yes. but it does not use any uv's for texturing but uses a simple top down projection.
    so you would probably like to adjust the vertex shader.

lars

18. ferlodeveloper

ferlodeveloper

Sorry but i dont understand "adjust the vertex shader", could you do a mesh version of your shader with uv. I dont read the code so i dont know how your shader works.

Thanks
    Ferlodavid

19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi ferlodavid,
    i am quite busy now. i might do it sometime. perhaps when having a closer look into unity. but that might take a while, sorry.
    you may search this thread however. i think there was someone you asked pretty much the same. and if i remember corrrectly we worked something out.

lars

20. Gerwald-Radsma

Gerwald-Radsma

Hi Lars!
    Really love the shader... no really... almost romanticaly
    I spent the last week digging in.. Read the whole thread, the manual and the like, made a ton of mistakes, restarted with a fresh scene... and things are looking good. But I cannot get the 2nd splat map aka the 5th and 6th detail textures + decals to work.

I tested a lot of options. Import a second one from photoshop (I know a lot of Ps but what is the calculation you are making, that adds up to 1? How do you measure it? What is the unit you are measuring? is that value? Brightness level? )

And painting it in by hand within unity wich seems as i read the best option.
    But when i paint for instance with a soft round brush and I see squares in the size of my brush. As if the brush had no feathering (and no circle). And paint all shiny....

I tried al sorts of variantions, turning of all of the normals, and made sure I loaded alle of the average colors and combined normals...

Thnx Mate!

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there!

before you can assign or use the 2nd splat map you have to add all 8 detail textures to the terrain.

what is the calculation you are making, that adds up to 1?
    in ps color values are defined in a range between 0 and 255 for each color channel which is mapped to a range bewteen 0.0 (=0) and 1.0 (=255) in unity. each color value from the splat map is handled as some kind of opacity of the corresponding detail texture in the shader. having 2 rgba textures following values would give you a valid result:
    rgba rgba = 0,0,0.5,0, 0.25,0.25,0,0
    it would end up in detail texture 3 be drawn with 50% opacity and detail textures 5 and 6 with 25% opacity each which in result is 100% opacity.

as far as the squares are concerned you get when painting manually: right now i have no idea.
    sorry.

lars

22. Marcurios

Marcurios

@Gerwald Radsma, i had the same issues at first, it all came down to wrong texture formats.
    check that the textures you're using have the correct format.

23. Tabulazero

Tabulazero

Hello,

I have a slight problem. I am using a colormap generated out of World Machine. I was wondering if there was a way for a section of this colormap to be transparent (alpha)?

The reason is that I want to use multiple texture in one area beyond the two available decal.

I tried created an alpha channel in GIMP but when I import the PNG colormap picture under Unity, the section of the map I've worked on appears as white. This mean there is a white overlay on the textures I've been applying in that particular spot.

Any idea how I can get rid of this?

Best regards.

PS.: Which texture format should I use? Truecolor, 16 bit, compressed? I seem to have the exact same problem as the previous poster:

24. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i am not sure if i already understand you. probably not i guess.
    right now you can mix all 6 independent detail textures on the same spot of the terrain, add 2 decals and the color map on top.
    the alpha channel of the color map is not used at the moment. so you could use it to define the strength of the color map added on top e.g. but you would have to edit the shader to do so.

i am not sure why the result gets white – especially as only rgb from the color map are sampled:
    half3 colorMap = tex2D(_CustomColorMap, IN.uv_Control);

i would suggest to use a compressed format. otherwise the size of the texture in memory will get pretty huge.

lars

25. jcothran

jcothran

@Gerwald Radsma (or others running into the same confusion when trying to apply a second splatmap) - the routine that I do that seems to work is to initially apply any 8 textures to allow the second splatmap option and after the splatmaps have been applied, delete the 4th texture. This corrects two issues that I was having, one where whatever was in the 4th texture slot was applying across the whole map and the other was a solid black render for anything within the circular splat distance set in the editor. After deleting the 4th layer, splat1 R= texture1, splat1 G = texture2, splat1 B = texture3, splat2 R = texture4, splat2 G = texture5, splat2 B = texture6.

I used subtractive filters in world machine to cut-out areas in my first splatmap that I wanted the second splatmap to show at instead.

On a different note, the other big gotcha for me as noted earlier was my texture alpha layers were not generating correctly as I thought. The steps in gimp were:
    in the layers box right-click on the image thumbnail
    - add layer mask
    - grayscale copy of layer
    - apply mask
    - export

Gerwald-Radsma likes this.
  26. jcothran

jcothran

Really like using the ats ultra shader with world machine now that I'm getting through the learning curve, but when compiling for a web player build using the demo scene(sunny) with free version of unity 4.6.1, the below editor log lists the file size for the shader at 23.3 mb uncompressed. I tried doing web searches on terms 'shader compile large optimazation' to understand better what build file size expectations to have with various shaders, or better optimizing the build size but didn't find much. My early alpha flyer/shooter game(screenshots of mount elbrus, webplayer link below) was at 10-15 MB but now looking at around 30 MB build size with the shader and trying to figure out if this is correct or if there's some more shader-filesize specific build optimization options I'm missing beyond the search results found for search terms 'unity optimization build'.

Also getting a listing for 'Resources/unity_builtin_extra' which I can't find in my project, but that might be some other issue unrelated to the shader files.

Thanks
    Jeremy

#editor log#######################################################
    ***Player size statistics***
    Level 0 'Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Demos/ultra demo sunny – without static batching.unity' uses 38.7 MB compressed / 100.1 MB

uncompressed.
    Total compressed size 38.7 MB. Total uncompressed size 100.1 MB.

Textures 51.3 mb 51.5%
    Meshes 162.1 kb 0.2%
    Animations 0.0 kb 0.0%
    Sounds 0.0 kb 0.0%
    Shaders 47.0 mb 47.1%
    Other Assets 1.0 mb 1.0%
    Levels 15.4 kb 0.0%
    Scripts 179.7 kb 0.2%
    Included DLLs 0.0 kb 0.0%
    File headers 71.8 kb 0.1%
    Complete size 99.8 mb 100.0%

Used Assets, sorted by uncompressed size:
    23.3 mb 23.3% Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Shaders/TerrainReplacementColorMapUltra_U4_v2.02.shader
    19.4 mb 19.4% Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Shaders/ColorMapUltra_MeshTerrainBlend_U4_v2.02.shader
    5.3 mb 5.3% Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Demos/Terrain Textures/02 detail textures/grass_and_rocks_normal.psd
    3.2 mb 3.2% Resources/unity_builtin_extra

#######################################################

#web player demo
    http://ratingsbay.com/unity/rangerfall/elbrus/rf.html

rf_0122b.jpg

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    the shader uses a lot of "#pragma multi_compile" directives to let you choose between different features like e.g. "advanced normal blending" and "standard normal blending". this ends in a ton of different variations of the shader to be compiled.
    so in case you have found the right setup of features for your project you can simply minimize the shader by "hard coding" your settings. do so by editing the shader and comment all "#pragma multi_compile" directives and enable the wanted features by using "#define WANTEDFEATURE"

lars

28. jcothran

jcothran

Thanks much on the directives feature comment/uncomment instruction, that brought the uncompressed shader size down to a much nicer 5 MB.

29. jcothran

jcothran

android.jpg Not sure if this is an ats shader specific issue, but when I build(unity 4.6.1f1) my terrain for 'android' galaxy s5, the app build is ok showing the terrain as it should be, but the terrain in the desktop editor immediately afterwards shows the below striped pattern within the 'splatting distance'. Not sure if anyone else has this issue when building for android. I've been keeping a pre-build 'good' copy to develop from as I'm not sure what is happening with the build that would cause changes to the editor, scripts, etc.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

30. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

may be unity switches to some graphics emulation?

31. jcothran

jcothran

Thanks for the suggestion, that was it - for the build it automatically switched the Graphics Emulation setting to 'OpenGL ES 2.0', switching back to 'No Emulation' returned it to the previous(working) emulation setting.

32. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

33. leonidasos

leonidasos

Hi Lars, we can finally lay our hands on Unity 5, would you consider looking into your shaders so they don't produce pink terrains or give some extra advice on how to bypass that?

34. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

right now i am super busy. but as soon as i find the time i will have a look into the shaders.
    but do not expect it to be within the next weeks... sorry about this.

lars

35. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

@leonidasos

Also went to Unity5 today and came across the shader problem as well.
    I only found a simple temporary solution to fix the "too many texture interpolators .. forwardbase" problem.

Open the main ultra terrain shader and change the following line which comes after CGPROGRAM

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhong vertex:vert
    to

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhong vertex:vert nolightmap addshadow
    In simple explanation, add the nolightmap and addshadow option at the end of the line. With the nolightmap option it will use 1 less interpolator which resolves the error.

However ofcourse the nolightmap options says it all, it means no lightmaps anymore.
    The second option addshadow is to fix the other problem occurring that the terrain doesn't receive any shadows anymore.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  36. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,

So it looks like this is not working with Unity 5?
    If I have that wrong, please advise.

Thx

37. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

No currently not and the author seems to be a bit busy, but it can be fixed with the things in my post above.
    I didn't found any other problems and everything seems normal again with that fix.

38. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

yes, i am pretty busy right now.
    and i am still not sure how to port this shader to unity 5 "correctly" – as unity 5 needs more texture samplers than unity 4 (directional lightmaps + real time GI).
    so i either have to drop the support for lightmapping (not GI) or go with texture atlases. Latter are nice as they would allow us to use 8 instead of 6 detail textures. On the other hand using texture atlases would stop gpu built in anisotropic filtering from working so terrain textures will tend be be a bit blurry at distances > 10m. texture atlases also simply cry for a constant tiling of all detail textures as it would simply speed up rendering.

so what do you think?

lars

39. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

Hey, thx for the info.

I noticed kind of the same problem.
    That makes me wonder how many people actually light map the terrain in combination with this shader, but i think some do. I mostly have big scenery and use direct lightning with long distance shadow.

I think the atlases is not really an option (at least not for me) as the quality/detail is the main purpose of this shader and i think some other people like me are using it for simulator game (flight sim) also.

One other thing is that if you target directx11 only (Target >= 4.0 shader) you can use more interpolators.
    This is of course not really an option but you could maybe create a separete one so there's still light mapping in D11.

40. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,

I am testing this with terrain in U5 editor ... looked fine so far.
    I'm assuming a U5 fix will come! :)

I was using a 2049 RAW file earlier with 2049 colormap, normal, and splatmap - which was working (even though I think they should be 2048 and only the RAW 2049?).

But the resolution didn't look sharp enough to me - its 2km x 2km, so I tried 4096 for the colormap, normal and splatmap today
    ... and I got this error when applying splat map :

Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture rectangle is out of bounds (0 + 4096 > 2048)
    2. UnityEngine.TerrainData:GetAlphamaps(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    3. CustomTerrainScriptColorMapUltraEditorU4:applyCustomSplatMap(Texture2D, Terrain) (at Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Scripts/Editor/CustomTerrainScriptColorMapUltraEditorU4.cs:1294)
    4. CustomTerrainScriptColorMapUltraEditorU4:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ats colormap ultra terrain shader 2.0/Scripts/Editor/CustomTerrainScriptColorMapUltraEditorU4.cs:285)
    5. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    I tried with both a (2048+1) and 4096 raw file (4096+1 wont load into Unity) as well as a 4095+1, and I get similar errors when applying splat map.
    ie. The error "Texture rectangle is out of bounds (0 + 4096 > 2048)" is displayed even when using a 4096 RAW file.

Any ideas how to use or trick it into using 4096?

Apologies if its something simple, we're new to Unity - just investigating if U5 can work for our project.

Well my 2c is: It sounds like you are at a forked road, and various of your many users will have different opinions. But certainly you need to support U5 asap, even at a basic level. Never mind not getting new customers, the one thing worse is existing customers getting frustrated and having to redo a lot of work to change technology.

I think as an intermediate step you need to bring in a solution asap that is almost transparent to existing users - ie. if possible no changes needed on their settings etc, and that should please a large percentage of your current users even though not all top-end features are in. Things like additional texture support etc, are nice-to-haves, but you will probably find not many need it (like and need are different).

It may mean initially you don't support something like GI (which you will need to in longer term), but at least you support users migrating to U5 and they can continue working on their project knowing support will come. They never had GI in U4 so aren't "losing anything" and can wait a little while you figure it out.

As later updates you can release support for or optional ways to deal with the new features etc. eg. as HugoPeters mentioned, perhaps detect D11 and enable additional features etc.

41. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

I had a lot of trouble with this in general (mostly not to do with this shader).
    If i see it right it only has a problem (error) with the splat maps. If so you could try to just create the terrain without importing the splat maps trough (Ats shader) and do it manually in Unity3D.

This url has some more information about it as well contains a tool for replacing the splat maps.
    https://www.world-machine.com/learn.php?page=workflow&workflow=wfunity

42. mwituni

mwituni

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at that.
    I had a brief look at the code (my C# is not sharp!) ... it seems to me the variable "targetTerrain.terrainData.alphamapResolution" is not getting updated in line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. targetTerrain.terrainData.alphamapResolution = w;
    as w = 4096 just before that, but after this line is called alphamapResolution still is 2048

So I was wondering if i can set this terrainData.alphamap bigger, but I'm not sure quite what it is.
    Looking at the terrain properties :
    upload_2015-3-12_20-3-24.png
    I see lots of "2048", which seems wrong for my 4096 terrain, as my colormap, splatmap, and normal are all 4096.

It may be one of the 2048 values. However they are not editable, only Detail Resolution is, but if I try enter 4096 it goes to 4048 ... so something wrong there!

Lots to fiddle with then !

43. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

Texture atlases

44. digitaljohn

digitaljohn

Hi!

Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to use lightmapping with this system? Terrains looks amazing but I need lightmapping. :(

45. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

lightmapping works in unity 4.

46. cphdotdk

cphdotdk

Hi. I purchased the shader, but having problems with the thje custom colormap and normal map.
    It is enabled, but doesn't show, despite changing the splatting distance back and forth.
    I'm using Unity 5, why this could be?
    Basicaly it's the custom colormap and normal map feature I'm interested.

Happy Easter Everyone!

47. cphdotdk

cphdotdk

Also forgot to ask, are there any plans on an update, supporting light probes and the new Unity 5 physical shaders?

48. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the shader does not really support unity 5 so far.
    but an update is on its way.

49. cphdotdk

cphdotdk

Hi lars
    Is there any way I can get the Normal map + colormap to work?
    For some reason the splatting works with the close up textures, but as soon as I zoom out to use the large diffuse, it doesn
    t swap to the large but keeps the splatmaps.

I would love to play around with it, so please let me know if there is a way to solve it!
    Thanks for a great shader though:)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  50. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    it should just work in unity 4. support for unity 5 is still in development. sorry for the delay.

lars