Search Unity

ATI Radeon Xpress 1100?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bigkahuna, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Anyone have any experience trying to run a Unity Windows standalone on a notebook with this chip? I've gotten a report of problems with an Acer notebook that uses this chip.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

ATI XPress 1100 is on the level of an Intel GMA 900 / 950 card.
    Do your scripts take that into account and degrade the quality accordingly and disable effects that will not work on those cards to prevent them from going crazy?

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

No, we rely on the user to change the quality settings (to Fast or Fastest). The issue we're experiencing is in a script that checks the resolution settings the user selected at startup. If the resolution is lower than the minimum, we prompt them to exit the program and try again at a higher resolution. The issue is that, although they set the application to a higher resolution, our script apparently doesn't see this.

The script I'm using is something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1.     if ((Screen.width < minScreenWidth) || (Screen.height < minScreenHeight)) {
    2.         //display an error message
    3.     }

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

That indeed is strange ...
    I assume the min settings are a hardset value of your project and the Screen.width should be filled by Unity ...

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Right. What's happening is that (on this particular system) although the graphics settings are set higher than the minimum, the error message is still displayed. We're investigating a bit more on this end (updating drivers, trying lower resolution settings, etc.) but since the system is not here (reported by a prospective customer) I can't do too much more than that. That's why I asked if perhaps someone else might have tried this graphics system with Unity.

6. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

A related question to these ATI integrated chips -- Joe's script on the wiki has strings for subpar Intel and Nvidia cards but doesn't check for any ATI integrated. Has anyone modified that script to include ATI?

Or has anyone put together a list of ATI chip names returned by the system environment variable that could be integrated into that script?

Thanks,
    Steve

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ok, so the actual problem is that apparently the game always thinks that the resolution is smaller than it should be?

I guess one way to debug it would be to print actual the resolution in the error message ("you have 30x20, ant at least 1337x777 is needed!"). Then at least you'd know what is the resolution that the game thinks it's running at.

The graphics card, Radeon Xpress 1100, is just integrated card from pixel shader 2.0 radeon series (Radeon 9500-Radeon X600). It's quite slow, but that's about it; the technology is the same as other Radeons from those series, and the drivers are the same.

Hm... whoops, right. No one has done that.

I think Radeon X300, X550, Xpress 200, Xpress 1100 and friends could be considered slow. Here's a list:
    Code (csharp):
    2. radeon x300
    3. radeon x550
    4. radeon xpress
    5. xpress 1100
    6. xpress 1150
    7. xpress 1200
    8. abit rx300
    9. asus eax300
    10. extreme ax300
    11. extreme ax550
    12. xpress 200
    13. firegl v1100
    14. firegl v3100
    15. diamond x300
    16. diamond x550
    17. rx300 se
    18. xtasy x300
    19. xtasy x550
    Anyone who has some time, feel free to update the script on the wiki :)

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Good idea. I think I'll add that to the next version of the application.