Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Store: You are currently Offline.. NO PROXY :(

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Stevee22, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Stevee22

Stevee22

I am so frustrated with this it's hard to describe! I cannot access the asset store, I am not behind any proxy / VPN, simply a home Virgin router.

Whenever I try and access the asset store it displays the banner telling me i'm 'Offline' and returns this error:
    'Couldn't connect to server url: https://kharma.unity3d.com/'

The same error also happens when I try and check for Updates.

I have tried so many fixes, including rebooting everything, turning ALL firewalls off (windows firewall, defender and the firewall on the router). I have played around with environmental variables also to no avail.

This is so annoying as I am a complete beginner with Unity and simply want to start putting my programming knowledge into producing games through this platform.

I will be very appreciative to anyone who can resolve this problem, thanks!

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

cerothecoolone likes this.
  3. Stevee22

Stevee22

Yeah that works fine! But I cannot browse to https://kharma.unity3d.com/ if that makes a difference? (Using Chrome)

I'm using a decent windows laptop running windows 8.1 (which is terrible.) I originally installed the latest version 4.5.1 (or something similar) but downgraded to 4.3.4 in an attempt to solve this issue.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

5. Stevee22

Stevee22

It brings up the asset store window but still produces the same error as if I were to just manually open the asset store.

6. Yukichu

Yukichu

This happens to me quite often as well. I'm on wireless at the time, and... I would connect, look at some assets, update some assets, whatever... do something, come back to it like 20 mins later and then boom, offline.

I have to close Unity completely then reopen it to connect again. I do usually have 2-3 Unity instances running at once, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

7. Stevee22

Stevee22

Thing is, I have never been able to connect since I ever showed interest in Unity. I'm so confused as I don't have any elaborate proxies or firewalls to configure, and every other program I install can easily access the internet when it needs to!

8. Yukichu

Yukichu

Well, do you have an antivirus/antispyware monitoring your network that may have blocked it? Checked your Hosts files? Tried to ping the website to see if even resolves? Tried a different name server for your connection (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.I think are Google's)? Checked your router? Uh... https://kharma.unity3d.com/ should work in your browser, so... hard to say. If you cannot connect with the browser, then it's not Unity, it's something else on your machine. Unplug router and try connecting directly to see if it's the router blocking it. Firewall enabled on machine? Uhh... that's all I have for now.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  9. Stevee22

Stevee22

With the HOSTS file, what kinda entries would block / unblock it? That's a part of windows I've never really looked into before!

When trying to ping https://kharma.unity3d.com/ cmd returned: Ping request could not find host https://kharma.unity3d.com/ please check the name and try again :/

I've tried both wired and wireless connections and get the same result. I have the virgin 'super hub' and have trawlled through the settings but still cannot seem to find anything that may be causing it as I turned off the inbuilt firewall!

10. Stevee22

Stevee22

I managed it! Turns out through one of my various attempts I had blocked that url through the HOSTS file. I also tweaked some firewall settings on my router which dealt with incoming traffic.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

11. Stevee22

Stevee22

For anyone who wants to know I have a Netgear wireless router,

I checked: Disable SPI Firewall and set Nat Filtering to open and that seemed to do the trick!

12. Yukichu

Yukichu

Glad you fixed it!

13. scootermeyer1

scootermeyer1

i dont know what do to i have the same problem but i can connect via browser to https://kharma.unity3d.com/ and i tried everything but i cant fix it i deactivated firewall i deleted my virus program but it did not anything

14. SHADYBEEE

SHADYBEEE

I'm on mac and i have the same error :(

15. abiliqa

abiliqa

Use Freegate!

16. specweapons

specweapons

There server is probably down again

17. BorderKeeper

BorderKeeper

To anyone with this issue who is being frustrated, you need to fully complete your account/project in the browser before the API lets you in. For me I did not add a single account to my project.

For this go to right-hand side of your unity, click Settings and then Go To Dashboard. When there it should ask you to add a username. When you land on the project page without issues and your account is linked it should now let you use the asset store.
    (if its still blank, maximize and un-maximize the asset store window and/or do another round of restarts)

Hope it helps, BK.

varunsingh1022 and Jim132 like this.
  18. GameJob2017

GameJob2017

Here is how I fixed this issue in Unity 2017:

(1) Log out of your Unity account:

Go To "Unity" menu -> click on "Manage License" -> Click on "My Account" -> Click on "Sign out".

(2) Then exit Unity application.

(3) Relaunch Unity.

(4) Try to logon to your Unity account again.

Next, try to access Unity store again. Be very patient and wait for 2 or 3 minutes, then the internet connection will be established, and everything will be fine.

Sometimes, I have to repeat these procedure 2 times to make it work.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. geodavies

geodavies

Just thought I'd put this comment on here in-case it helps anyone that's in the same boat as I was.

I've never been able to use the asset store up until now. The fix for me was that I had always signed into Unity using my Google account. But what happens when you sign up with your Unity account is that it doesn't assign your account a username.

I fixed this by going into the account settings page on the Unity website which upon loading prompted me to create a username to associate with my account. After I had a username it allowed me to access the asset store.

The Unity team really ought to fix this because I almost came to a point where I considered moving my project over to Unreal Engine.

20. Pearticle

Pearticle

This did it for me, thanks.

Jim132 and tfraking like this.
  21. tfraking

tfraking

This is so stupid. Adding a username fixed it for me as well. Please fix this.

Jim132 likes this.
  22. vixenx1

vixenx1

if it interests anyone, I had this issue as well, and noting that others resolved it through the host file, I checked mine and found that because I block Facebook on my pc (for productivity reasons), it wasn't working. I commented out both those blocks and it works fine now.

23. westernschooldivision

westernschooldivision

Confirmed that blocking facebook also blocks the unity asset store.
    See the bottom of this screenshot for the error:
    https://imgur.com/a/HOgNpE5

24. Shinugami

Shinugami

Hahahha OMG it's true! FACEBOOK! I have that website blocked like it's 1999. I put # infront of the facebook address in my hosts file and the shop works...I've had this issue for maybe 2 years and all I could use was the old shop however now there is no option to choose the old shop. Seriously, make the shop work without facebook. Facebook is an awful website that claims it can scan your harddrive just for using their website. I blocked them because Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both have allegations of stealing intellectual property so I block that spyware site. Fix this please Unity as Facebook should not be a requirement.

25. tomchambers

tomchambers

I also just fixed this issue by removing facebook.com from my hosts file!

Absolutely ridiculous that unity requires a connection to facebook to make their asset store work. It's very suspicious as well, what information are they accessing or sending to facebook?

26. Ehredt

Ehredt

So THAT'S why I can never get the Asset Store to stay open!! I can't believe blocking Facebook on my computer has had a negative impact on my productivity. I'd really like to be able to use the Asset Store again. Please fix this!

27. Scott-Steffes

Scott-Steffes

If the other solutions don't work for you, this may allow you to get around the issue:

28. JHerrin

JHerrin

I struggled with this as well, but then noticed that I hadn't confirmed my email with Unity when I signed up. One click later, it was fixed.

29. varunsingh1022

varunsingh1022

thanks bro it workes