Search Unity

Asset Store Submission - turnaround time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by endie, Sep 9, 2015.

1. endie

endie

I submitted an asset last week and am still waiting on approval. I'm patient and in no rush, but I couldn't find a solid answer about the current turnaround time for assets? I'm completely content to wait, and I don't want this to be taken for a whine about how I want it to move along faster. I'd just like to have a rough idea when I can expect approval to happen?

Ony likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

10 days is normal, maybe more. Depends.

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

On how patient you are. :)
    Yes Lane is right, I believe I received my letter of acceptance (free environment model) at 11 days. 10-14 I think is normal, and some have said they have gotten approved in 3.

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

It does vary widely especially for initial submissions. My personal experience is it can be up to 2 weeks. It is over the 5 days they state in their email enough that I think Unity should consider upping how long they state in their auto email.

5. Samuel411

Samuel411

My first submission took about 2 weeks so 10 business days and my second submission was 5 business days. They are both editor extensions. So the first one submitted takes the longest.

Best of luck to you also may I ask what type of asset it is?

6. endie

endie

Ok, thank you all that's great to know. I am new and this is my first asset so longer initial approval makes total sense. I'm glad to hear though that I'm not the only one. I've been getting sorta antsy thinking maybe something was wrong, but I suppose it's just high volume.

@Samuel411 it's a rigged character asset =D

7. simfreak

simfreak

I've been waiting 10 business days as well and haven't heard anything...I tested everything pretty thoroughly...getting antsy too ;)

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You have to subtract from your total the number of days Unite Boston occurred.
    :)
    And 1+ recovery days.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Approvals should be faster soon. They recently brought on additional staff for product management, freeing up people for the review process.

simfreak likes this.
  10. Yukichu

Yukichu

Hah. 10 days would have been awesome.

Basically after 10 business days (2 weeks), send an email. If no response after 5 more business days (3 weeks total), start sending a lot of emails.

11. simfreak

simfreak

I figure they will get to it when they can. I don't want to slow them down by bombarding them with emails ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Elecman

Elecman

My first submission got rejected after 5 days. After fixing the request they made, one month later it still wasn't approved. I re-submitted the whole thing so hopefully that will re-boot the queue system.

13. N1warhead

N1warhead

I remember when it was 3 days - 5 days. It's really gotten to the point where it can take 10 business days now. Dang.
    I'd hate to wait10 days to be denied over a key image, (they kind of confusing) to me at least. When the parts of it you don't touch lol. But it's happened to me before, except it was 3 days lol... not 10. But I'm waiting for my newest asset store item submission process, I hope it goes through :)

14. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

A lot of the AS team were at Unite Boston so imagine that may slow things down, sorry about that.

15. endie

endie

Good to hear that things may be speeding up.

I had completely forgotten about Unite Boston haha

For anyone that's interested, my original submission was on Sept 5th. Then I got a rejection on the 11th because of incorrect meta data. Then I resubmitted on the 12th, and was just approved today. I think that's actually pretty on point to what everyone has said, but I was definitely antsy, and really look forward to faster approval times for future assets. And if anyone is curious what I submitted ;) : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45393

Yay first of many more hopefully

Aurore and holliebuckets like this.
  16. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

endie likes this.
  17. goat

goat

Have to say I like the style. I've seen that style in a 2D drawing before but not applied to a 3D character. Looks cool.

18. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

My asset got rejected after 2 weeks due to copyright issues with the name and a key image I skimmed over :(
    But they said it looked great and that I can email them back to get it up quicker which is nice :)

holliebuckets likes this.
  19. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

N1warhead likes this.
  20. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks nice endie. Might be a little too high priced lacking in any custom animations, but that is a personal decision only.
    As goat said - the style looks cool on the 3D model. The texture looks slightly blurry in the mid section. You might consider increasing the resolution of the texture a little OR allowing for more UV space for the torso for an update , or for your next character.
    Congrats!

21. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Keep in mind that updates to packages generally take less time than new submissions. Also, the complexity of the submission will affect the turnaround time as it may take longer to evaluate. There is no real magic number.

22. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I would also recommend uploading to the asset store with the minimum supported version of Unity. This says 5.1.2. If, due to shader reasons, you require at least 5.0, then install 5.0 side by side with 5.1.2 and use it to push your asset up. If it works fine in 4.x, then install 4.0 or 4.3 or whatever the minimum is and also upload with that (there are two different submissions for 4.x and 5.x). This makes sure you reach the largest possible target audience.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Ive been waiting like 20 days. Unity should hire more people to review stuff if its taking this long

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  24. Yukichu

Yukichu

20 days... oh how that would have been awesome.

I presume they are backed up. You can't know how many other assets are submitted, resubmitted, updated, etc. which all take their time. I also figure there are a bunch of people trying to get assets in for the holidays. Also... people take vacations, people quit jobs, have to hire new trainable people, etc.

20 days does sound like a lot, but always think of business days (M-F, minus holidays). So it's probably more like 16 days or so, but waiting and not knowing if you're lost in the paperwork stinks. I always thought a semi-public queue would be nice just to see where you were in the system. Don't have to see names/info of other assets, just like... am I #2910 or am I #4 and I'll possibly be reviewed tomorrow.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  25. endie

endie

Have you checked your spam folder as well? I noticed that my confirmation went to my spam folder and I had to whitelist the email. It's possible that your asset has been declined for one reason or another and the notification went to spam.

I just published another asset that took me about 10 days to get through the queue. Granted, models may be faster since it's just a matter of "is it the art it says it is?" and not "does this work within a reasonable margin" with code assets.

@Yukichu I 100% agree that a number queue would be amazing. But then of course you'd have the people who would ruin it because someone else would say that spot 100 takes about 10 days and the first person gets mad because they're at spot 50 and they've been waiting 20 for whatever reason.

26. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

The number system works great if 1 person is reviewing assets, but there are multiple people reviewing assets. So you'd have to provision it such that, #1 in the queue simply means that your asset will be the next one picked up by a reviewer. But, even that won't work because different reviewers are going to have different specialties. So someone who specializes in reviewing models or texture packs for example, may skip 10 editor extensions to take the next art asset that has been submitted.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. endie

endie

That's exactly what I mean, Dustin. Even if you split up queues by submission section, the rate at which things are assessed is not consistent all the time.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  28. ThorstenA

ThorstenA

I honestly think, although this thread is old but still valid, that the submission process is cumbersome. You can read and re-read the info to make sure you do everything right and still not understand it completely. The Legal-Jargon is pretty crap to be honest. And if it takes you a few months to create your package the possibility that the "New" Unity version won't even comply is pretty high. All in all I think this process is really much too stressful. Should be much more pipe-lined and easy to understand. Quite frankly I think that they should stop putting out new versions in such a short timeline since the majority of the time these updates break whatever people have worked on for months, based on their last build. Nearly half the Asset store packages are deprecated and won't work in Unity 5.5 without a ton of workarounds... if that!
    Initially I was quite excited about this entire Unity thing... but countless hours of sleepless nights working ( on rather simple things to be honest, simple enough to work out of the box), I am starting to think that selling assets at other places seems to work out much better. Until they get their priorities straight and workflow lined up I reckon things will drag along til something better takes their place.
    They started something great... but it seems to have gotten too big for their own good! One can only hope that the growing pains don't become irreparable scars...

29. N1warhead

N1warhead

@ThorstenA : Asset Store Submissions aren't so bad once you do it a few times, you naturally get the hang of it.
    Generally my things get accepted the first time now. I mean sure there's things they can point out before submitting and there's also things they can point out in a declined email that they rarely if ever say, they just give a generic message and hope you can reach them in time before you have to re-submit. But aside from that, it's come a long way sense when i started, it's now easier than ever to get things set up and going.

30. ThorstenA

ThorstenA

Yeah I don't know, but 2 to 2.5 weeks waiting to find out if your stuff is approved or not really isn't a comfortable space. Unfortunately I currently reside in a place where Internet Connection at best is slower than D. Trumps' brainwaves. When it takes several days trying and 4+ hours to upload a 250 meg file, it grows quite tiresome. I realize that part isn't the fault of Unity, but getting things right the first time can make or break a deal. So knowing all the specifics beforehand is just a better working environment.

31. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

As an asset store consumer I'm against attempts to automate the process. I'd hate to see the asset stores offerings reduce in quality when the automated system is eventually exploited - comparing exploited game related automated processes to the steam greenlight automated process.

With that said I can empathize with providers who are waiting for products to be approved, although imo - the wait time is not extraordinary, is comparable to other legitimate online product providers.
    It is comparable to apples approval process, and all they have to look for is offensive content and confirm the game doesn't crash.

Teila likes this.
  32. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

I think approval process is a must if have a new version. At least make sure the things work.

But i suggest to automate the process for changing the meta and price. It is annoying to wait for approve if you do some self promotion sale. Best if we can set the time for special price.

Billy4184, theANMATOR2b and GibTreaty like this.
  33. endie

endie

Changing the meta details or pricing is usually only a day turnaround for me. I think there are some flags for changes you make that put you in a different queue. And assets that deal mostly with code probably get put in a different queue than art assets than music etc. But I agree, it would be nice if we could run our own sales. But then you would have people who perpetually put their products 'on sale', deceiving people into thinking they're getting a deal. Any time its automated people will find a way to abuse it.

But I do think the guidelines could be a little clearer for approval. Thankfully as an art asset producer, I've not run into too many problems

34. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

Worst case, It took me a week for just changing meta/price. But usually one day except in the weekend. Best if automate the process so we can do some weekend sale or limited time sale.

35. endie

endie

Automation always carries risk of abuse. I think perhaps, if there are any unity people reading this, a better system would be to submit requests for sales. So I submit a request saying "I'd like to have a sale for these assets for these dates for this amount". That gets approved by staff, and then the sale automatically takes place during the dates you specified. Permanent price changes would still go through the same change process it does now.

But I digress haha

36. ThorstenA

ThorstenA

Personally I find no logic in their Queue system whatsoever. I'm going on nearly a month of waiting on a response for my submission and I see similar packages approved in the NEW section that were submitted 3 days after mine.
    Not knowing where in this magical otherworldly queue my package resides is really not what I'd expect from a professional service.
    I honestly think their system lacks the fidelity that one expects when joining a creative community! As much as I'd love to continue with this I believe there are simply too many other better options out there for selling creative content.

37. tsangwailam

tsangwailam

The waiting time is frustrating. Sometime it very fast and sometime is very slow.

But i think there not much staff handling the approve process. So, it may queue up when someone not free.

38. MACHIN3

MACHIN3

Just chiming in, waiting exactly 2 weeks now, 10 business days. Previous assets took 7 business days max. Very frustrating. If you start doing some promo before the release - as you should - being left in the dark about the actual release date is very troublesome.

39. endie

endie

Indeed, @MACHIN3 and @ThorstenA . I'd love to see a sort of benchmark to show where you reside in the queue and perhaps an explanation as to how their queue system works. For example, I submitted two packages on the same day. One was approved in 2 days, the other is still waiting.

But, I don't agree that there are many other better options for selling your work. Sure there are a lot of good, trustworthy platforms, but nothing compares to the asset store for getting your stuff directly in front of the base that wants to use it. And for customers, it guarantees that the product they're buying is backed by Unity's sales staff and has been vetted to work with the engine. If you're willing to promote your stuff full time, then the difference in viewership is probably much smaller. But for those that want to upload something, promote it casually, or not at all, the asset store is sadly the best option.

40. MACHIN3

MACHIN3

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  41. ProceduralJOYE

ProceduralJOYE

We released allSAVE around a week ago but we had submitted it a whole month before! Further updates only took a couple of days each though

42. MACHIN3

MACHIN3

Thanks for the feedback @ProceduralJOYE. A whole month is just terrible. What a mess.

43. endie

endie

Yeah before Christmas I had submitted a package and waited about a month to get a decline for formatting issues in my meta. I figured it was just because peak time for buying and submissions. But perhaps the store is growing and they're not increasing their staff

44. Bitboys

Bitboys

16 days and still waiting to get a response for our last Asset submission...:(

45. TonyLi

TonyLi

I've submitted updates and new assets recently. From my own experience as well as reports from others, updates seem to get approved faster than before, but new submissions take about a month. It may be that they're vetting new submissions more carefully, which could be a good thing overall for customers and publishers by performing that extra level of quality assurance.

46. ZombieGazebo

ZombieGazebo

This is my first submission to the UAS, and I just got to business day 19 today. Unfortunately it was declined because they wanted me to link to a publisher page with more info (they didn't say anything about the assets themselves). I certainly hope I don't have to wait another 19 business days just because I updated a website link.

Edit: Scratch that, I was approved withing hours of updating my publisher link. Very happy!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  47. JustinCollins

JustinCollins

Hey Everyone,

At the Asset Store, we are always working towards improving our standards. Because of this, review times have are longer than normal. We are doing our best to go through each asset as fast as possible, while still providing a quality check.

Once you receive a decline from us and resubmit, the time it takes for it to get looked at again is much faster than the initial submission. This is because we have already looked at your asset once, and know what we have asked you to fix. :)

ZombieGazebo, TonyLi and Ryiah like this.
  48. ZombieGazebo

ZombieGazebo

Yes, I was very grateful for the faster turnaround time on the resubmit. In fact, I've submitted a few more fixes to my asset pack since then that were also implemented quickly. Very much appreciated!

However, I think it should be noted that the wait times suggested by the submission guide are quite a bit inaccurate, and especially for first time submitters, this can be quite worrisome (did I submit it wrong? Is my asset pack so bad that they're not even going to acknowledge it? etc, etc.). It would be wonderful if the submission guide were updated to reflect a more realistic wait time, or if some sort of dynamic average wait time calculation could be implemented. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find that very helpful!

Anyhow, thanks for the reply!
    Dustin Bogers

Mddmd likes this.
  49. ClientUser

ClientUser

Am excited about my first submit, been over 10 working days but that looks like par for the course reading around here for a first submission.

What would be great would be to have some measure of where in the queue you are, even a "still waiting to be looked at" & "currently being looked at" would be great.

50. MACHIN3

MACHIN3

First submission or not, you can expect ~3-4 weeks. Seems to be how long it takes since at least April this year.

dogzerx2 and ClientUser like this.