Search Unity

Asset Store items used outside of Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by delectro, Mar 9, 2015.

1. delectro

delectro

I have a little game engine I've been messing with for a while. Are asset store items licensed only for use in Unity-made games, or could some be used commercially in a game made in my own engine? I didn't find any prohibitions in the EULA, but IANAL :) I do plan on mostly using in Unity anyway since recent changes (it's a tad more advanced than what I've done), but it would be convenient to plug some models into my little creation I've learned some C++ on, and would be cool for me sell a game made with it.

2. orb

orb

If the EULA doesn't expressly forbid it, it's legal. I think the wording of the standard EULA on the store said something like any number of games, no requirement to stick to one engine. Assets can have custom EULAs, though, so make sure you check each one.

3. delectro

delectro

Thanks for the reply, orb. I see you've been around awhile, and I trust you know what you're talking about. I didn't see the "any engine" part, though.

Still, licensing is a serious issue and can getcha in a lotta trouble if you don't dot your i's and t's :) It seems to me possible that something in the legalese could be read to restrict use. There's this:

"2. END-USER's Rights and Obligations
    END-USER may use the licensed Assets only for their intended purpose."

And this:

"3.5
    Unless you have been specifically permitted to do so in a separate agreement with Unity and except as permitted under the Unity-EULA, you agree that you will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade or resell any Asset that you have acquired from the Unity Asset Store for any purpose."

Picky, I know, but contracts are. I blame Obama.

It would be comforting for someone officially with the Company to say yay or nay?

Thanks!

4. orb

orb

Those don't limit you from using models and textures in a different engine. The "intended purpose" is the only vague thing, but 3.5 is quite clear: That's about reselling the asset/transferring the licence and calling it your own.

If you're unsure, ask the asset authors directly. When they haven't made a custom EULA, they may not even have read the default EULA themselves! Shocking, I know.

P.S.: My time since registration may just indicate I've been in a coma for a few years, so pay no attention to that ;)

5. delectro

delectro

Last call for official reply?