Asset store download folder?

Discussion in 'Unity Support' started by arvzg, Mar 29, 2011.

1. arvzg

arvzg

Hey guys,

When you download something from the asset store usually and choose NOT to import it to your project (so its not in your project assets folder) but it stays in the list of assets youve downloaded from the asset store and if you create a new project you are able to import those downloaded packages into the new project.

My question is where is it copying the downloaded packages from? I can't seem to find it anywhere :confused: I'm sensing theres something Im totally missing
    azyellow likes this.
  2. arvzg

arvzg

someone on irc answered it for me =)

C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store
  3. megmaltese

megmaltese

Good to know... why the heck is it in that folder? I would expect to download stuff into my actual project folder...
    kongchar likes this.
  4. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

If you choose to "Download and Import" rather than just "Download" it will place a copy in your project folder. Otherwise, the files are not tied to any particular project, so they are placed int he shared data folder on your local machine.
  5. megmaltese

megmaltese

Even better to know!!! :D :D :D
    Thank you :D
  6. citizen12

citizen12

Yuck! What an awful place to store content assets! I've got a tiny SSD C: drive for fast OS, and a huge, RAID D: drive for all my work. I'd very much like to have a say in where assets are store, whether or not they're going to be used in my current project.
  7. arvzg

arvzg

Perhaps you can raise a request to the unity team on our behalf =)
  8. pjezek

pjezek

On a mac it's located under "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store".
    I guess you could symlink it to another location.
    On Windows that would be a NTFS symbolik link. (Attention: I did not try that yet)
  9. MarkcusD

MarkcusD

They should allow us to set a preference for where we want it to download to or at least popup a message when it's done with the location.
  10. woodygoody

woodygoody

Thanks I need it ..
  11. psyclone

psyclone

It is possible to change you profile storage location on Windows.
  12. Dreamora

Dreamora

the point is to hide it actually, optimally it would be in an encrypted container to prevent illegal handing over as it happens now as you can simply copy and forward them
  13. malcolmr

malcolmr

Well it seems you've succeeded in hiding them even from Unity. Surely the Unity app should know where these packages are and automatically include them in the list offered by "Include Package..."?
  14. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I can't find the where Unity places the downloads on Mac Lion. I can't find the "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store" location anywhere. Not even a spotlight search came up with it.
  15. Xeir

Xeir

If you haven't already found it, it is due to Lion hiding the user Library folder.

You can easily bring it up by typing "open ~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store" in a terminal window.
  16. Dreamora

Dreamora

or install totalfinder and make it show system folders and tada its there again :)
  17. leprasmurf

leprasmurf

There's an awesome app for Steam that automates moving folders from one drive to another for the aforementioned SSD/RAID scenario. SteamMover also allows you to run the commands manually. When you select the folder, it spits out the following commands:

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>" "D:\steam\<game name>"
    cmd /C rd /S /Q "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>"
    cmd /C mklink /J "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>" "D:\steam\<game name>"

So that should give you an example of how you could "symlink" your asset folder.

edit:
    Ran successfully.

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\*" "D:\Unity\_Assets\"
    <snip>
    6 File(s) copied

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>rd /S /Q "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store"

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>mklink /J "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store" "D:\Unity\_Assets"
    Junction created for C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store <<===>> D:\Unity\_Assets
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  18. totti10

totti10

there's no need to install totalfinder
  19. aodry

aodry

For windows users:
    1. open file explorer (WinKey + E)
    2. type %APPDATA% for the path, then click ENTER
    3. Select Unity folder and goes to Asset Store..

or simply type this into the file explorer

%APPDATA%\Unity\Asset Store
  20. marnes

marnes

I myself have limited space on my OS harddrive. Rather than buck the system, what you can do is actually change where your APPDATA is stored. http://www.windows-commandline.com/2009/07/change-application-data-location.html

The best workflow for including packages is by creating a new project and checking off the things you want (listing everything you've downloaded from the asset store). But once your project is created and you want to bring in something else that you've already downloaded, there doesn't seem to be a nice way to do it without manually pointing to this hidden directory. If there is, please let me know as that is what drove me here.
  21. cpw1986913

cpw1986913

I have found it.Thank you!
  22. brice392

brice392

Above, where the path is, there you must write the path for the folder to open.
  23. voblivion

voblivion

In the Asset Store, when you gave downloaded something, you can 'Open Folder' on its page ;)
  24. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Or just click and hold on the Finder Go menu (next to View) and while the drop-down menu is showing, press the keyboard option key. "Library" will appear in the Go->drop down menu. Select Library and the Library folder will open and you will see the Unity folder
  25. goat

goat

Why would they encrypt or hide it? The buyer has bought and paid for the assets they have.

You can create a hard link from the hidden folder to your D: drive. Google 'NT filesystem hard link', and of course you can do the same in osX with ln but without the need to google and download special purpose software.
  26. darshie1976

darshie1976

I find it annoying that the packages are not downloaded in a selectable destination....after all I don't get the point of encrypting, since you can just save the whole project, zip it and give it away. I don't believe that there is a concern about piracy of items sold on the store, since each of the seller has a list of username and purchase receipts, so if you are in doubt, you can always ask the person using your assets, for their info to check their license.

The problem with the packages and assets is that if you have a small internal HD, you are forced to import all, save the project on the external drive and open a new one, with the result that you get a ton of single files that defy the purpose of a Unity package.

As much as I love the idea of having folders that I can explore, would be maybe time to make something different, so we kill 2 birds with one stone.

I envision a package with assets and code, in the same way as an OOP library/DLL/Framework is used: include it, use what you need from it and be done...altho chances are that we will never get to this point, unless someone with a lots of degrees and well known, speaks up and make it happen.
  27. bigzer

bigzer

28. darshie1976

darshie1976

29. VataRaven

VataRaven

With all these replies...no one simply said

Unhide the folder (thought your Control Panel and Folder Option) and move the folders to your wanted area
  30. darshie1976

darshie1976

The problem is how to fix the issue of not having a selectable download folder...there are various work around.

Is not a deal breaker, doesn't take the sleep away at night for sure (compared to the other problems that I deal with, especially code wise), but would be nice to see it fixed
  31. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I do it like this. All Assets from Unity are all updated and seen on another drive and C drive is free, you just have a link in c that points towards the new location.

Move Asset Store, not copy but move to your desired drive.
    Example C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store

to

D:\
    Asset Store is now directly under drive D:

Now open the command line as shown below.

Press Windows start buttom or click start and type cmd and press return.
    Then type cd\ and press return again.

Now link Asset Store with this command. Using your User name.
    G: is where I moved Asset Store to.
    C: is where it was.

mklink /j "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store" "G:\Asset Store"

Press return
    FINISHED
  32. darshie1976

darshie1976

Thanks for the hint, but keep in mind that many, me included, works on both Mac and Win, which means that if you want a shared dir, it is quite a mess.

On Mac I just made a symlink, and I am working like that, downloading things one at time, renaming them accordingly, and moving them in specific folders (like for the tutorials, where you have also the pdf files and not only the package).

Altho once you move them, the store has no clue if you download it already or not, which makes a bit messy the process of updating packages, when a new version is out. That's why I would rather prefer a native solution: you set in the editor where the stuff goes, and the store knows what did you download, where it is and organize/update it accordingly.
  33. zxprince

zxprince

C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store ----> Note: here AppData is a hidden folder
  34. inafield

inafield

35. robby setiawan

robby setiawan