Search Unity

Asset Store Birthday Bonanza Sweepstakes! (Extended to the 13th)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tuoret

tuoret

I mostly use the store for prototyping, it's crazy how fast you can get something decent-looking running in a matter of hours. Although there's also a couple of assets that are just so good that there's no point in replacing them with my own junk.

Allsky - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10109 , no matter what I'm doing, this package has always had a fitting Skybox

Painterly Terrain Textures - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15334 , I usually avoid using third-party textures but these have been a perfect fit a couple of times already. And it's ridiculously cheap.

2. Crazydadz

Crazydadz

Happy birthday!!!

3 years ago, we founded our company and didn't want to buy assets to save money. After some months of working, we've seen so much sales on the assetstore that we bought a lot of them. We should have done this from the beginning. It saved us a lot of time and even if we aren't using all of them. It helped a lot learning how to organize assets in a project, how to do editor scripting or more advanced scripting. We also took part of the beta of an asset to help the developer (TextMeshPro). This last and the ProCore Bundle are a must in each project since we bought them!

Thank you,
    David

pcg likes this.
  3. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

Hello everyone, hope you're well!

*waves*

There are two main reasons I love the asset store.

Firstly, I see it as an 'Imagination Engine' - just browsing the store and seeing something cool adds fuel to the imagination. It might be a certain model. Or a certain technique that makes impressive stuff easier to do. Or a music track. Or a particle system. Or a number of models that, if used together, allow you to make stuff you never thought possible.

I've never lacked for game ideas, but the store just adds to that. I will never make all the games in my head now :O

Secondly, and more importantly, it's the people. When I first started using Unity, I bought a bunch of assets to try and work out how they work, and how Unity in general works.
    It was a bit confusing and frustrating, mostly due to my inexperience I'd wager. I was a little shy at first, but contacted the sellers of the assets when I ran into problems or had any questions.
    In hindsight, these were very simple questions I had, and I'm sure I came across as very amateurish and dumb.
    The majority of responses I got were always polite, always solved the issue I was having and sometimes went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out.
    I have learned so much from people just helping out with their assets, and by extension, Unity in general.

You humans are alright sometimes! ;)

As to projects, I've got far too many to mention, but I *am* trying to finish off a 2D/3D visual novel/Adventure game using Fungus and Playmaker as well as a few other bits and bobs - here's a couple of screenshots!

Thank you!

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

4. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

I bought a copy of Relief Terrain Pack 3 from the asset store. It totally changed the way my terrains look - they are now a great deal prettier than before! It also supports POM, which is simply beautiful.

An excellent buy and worth the money!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. Connor5393

Connor5393

I'm not an artist. In fact, I'm a terrible artist. It makes making a quality game difficult and I thought I would have to hire an artist to pursue my dreams (which is financially impossible for me right now). Instead, I was directed toward Unity and the open collection of free models and art provided there. My game is now well under way and in my opinion looks fantastic, all using about 90% free models and animations from the asset store. Thank you Unity! WotABanner.png

6. krearthur

krearthur

Haha 5 years already?!
    I remember the first day, and I was one of the first guys who wanted to upload content.
    I wanted to sell my nice TOMATO MODELS XD!, but sadly it got rejected ... (its ok, wasnt meant too serious ;) )
    anyways - Congrats! What you do is just AWESOME!!
    TomatenVerkaufsbild0001.jpg

JoRouss likes this.
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi everyone. I love the asset store and have been using it for as long as I can remember. It saves time, allows me to do more, learn from other projects and sometimes meet new people that change the course of your life. Happy Birthday to you asset store!

I've spent a fair amount of time iterating on my mobile racing game ("I eventually want to use this framework I'm building for a bigger project!") over the last 2 years or so; the asset store is what really made it possible to help my iterations improve the quality of the game as a whole. This game is still a WIP and has recently been restructured, I have many dreams for my racing game, but it will take time to bring my dreams to reality. I started this game when I was in college and have been working on it when I find time between my other projects. Here's a link to my current version for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TurnTheGameOn.MidnightSportsDriver .

The main assets I'm using are as follows:
    Racing Game Template (My own framework built from the ground up for garage and race scene management)
    CRC12 - Cartoon Race Cars 12 + 2 (A great set of low poly cars that really helped to optimize my game)
    iTS - Intelligent Traffic System (Framework recently added to help bring the city to life with AI traffic)
    3DRT - Megacity Construction Kit (A huge low poly city that was perfect for mobile and many other things)
    Hip Hop Arsenal Vol. 1 (Some cool music)
    Garage-II (A high quality garage scene and props)

8. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Happy Birthday!

Why do I love the Unity Asset Store? There are so many reasons!

The first is, one of my favorite things I do each morning with a cup of coffee, is window shop what is on sale and any new assets. It's addicting! I highly recommend doing that if you do not, it's zen like!

Outside of that, the way the Asset Store helped us out, is simply amazing. It's a good story, let me share.

So a few years ago, my brother and I, decided that we needed to follow our dreams and begin to start up our own game studio. We both have a strong background in programming, that's me, and art design, this is my brother.

We shopped around and decided that using a game engine that was well established, only made sense. Once we saw what Unity had to offer, we simply fell in love. The rest is history at this point.

We have created a lot of projects for many different people and also for our own needs. Using the Asset Store, we were able to get game ideas from the prototype stage to launch and release.

We were able to get into the ID@Xbox program with the help of the Unity engine and the fantastic assets on the store.

This is the major thing that we love, love, LOVE, about Unity. It is the Asset Store!

So like I said, we are only two guys who share a common passion... video games! But the catch is, we are only two guys! We both have families and only have so much time in a day, so where we cannot make something happen... be it code or an art type asset... the Asset Store has our back!

That, my friends, is why I love the Asset Store. I feel like no matter what, you guys at Unity have our backs as developers!

So thank you and have a fantastic birthday! :)

9. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Happy Birthday Asset Store

Been using Unity for about 4 years and whilst not yet completed a project have made extensive use of the Asset Store and enjoyed its improvements over the years. Visit it and the form at least once a day.

I used to 'collect' Steam games and check the daily special. Now I collect Unity Assets that may be useful for any of the numerous projects that keep popping in to my head. I can't go to sleep until after midnight my time which is when the Asset on 24 hour sale gets updated. Just have to check it and lost count of the number of assets bought that probably would never have considered. Love the Madness sales which are further chances to increase the collection. Over time have discovered a few authors like 3DForge that are really good and eagerly await their releases/updates. Hoping one day to complete a project template and experience the Asset Store from the Developer side.

10. Malicjusz

Malicjusz

I love the Asset Store, because it is a great time saver.

For quite some time I've been asking my boss to build some of our mobile projects in Unity, because it is so much faster to work with than doing everything from the ground up natively. One day he said "Okay, prove it. You've got two weeks. Bring me a mobile app made with Unity that will impress me. You do it in your own time, not the company time."

It is on.

Halloween was near, so I decided that it would be a great theme for the app. Oh, look! The Spooky Cemetary Bundle is on sale! Now I need some music. Well, the Halloween Music Pack should get the job done. In fact, I liked it so much that I upgraded it to the full Ultimate Game Music Collection. Next, the sound effects. Well, I already got the Universal Sound FX pack and it covered all of my needs. Now, some particles would be nice... And the FX Quest is nice!

Add a little bit of work to it, add some Vuforia tech and... Done! An Agumented Reality Halloween postcard!

Thanks to the Asset Store I was able to make the halloween app on time! The app could use some more polish, but the boss was impressed nontheless and bought the app. Now we have three Unity projects planned for next year!

Thank you Asset Store! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  11. Clavus

Clavus

As a student, I don't have that many completed projects yet, but the asset store has been a huge help for prototyping projects. For example, I'm working on a space commander game where there's one player is in VR giving orders to ships and such. I made it so that everything is toy scale for the VR user. So here I am in the need of some space ships, and the asset store provided me with plenty of variety to pick from (read: I downloaded everything I could got my hands on). Once I loaded them into my project and put on my Oculus Rift, it felt like I just downloaded a set of physical toys to play with.

I used to limit myself to 2D games because of the amount of content work that was required to get anything nice looking in 3D, but Unity + the asset store has completely changed that.

Congrats asset store!

12. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Happy birthday Asset Store!

For me, the Asset Store has been invaluable in developing my first commercial game. Through the use of some great assets like Manufactura K4's Middle Eastern & Military environments, along with various other props from authors like Game Ready, this has enabled my game to have a 2,000 x 2,000m world for players to explore, filled with content.

Then, I've also been able to use assets like Final IK and just go over the top with them. In our game, we've got procedural recoil animations, procedural hit-reaction animations, procedural interaction animations, and procedural inertia animations, which would not have been possible without Final IK. It makes tweaking the 16 weapons in our game (most of which initially came from the Asset Store!) super easy with everything procedural.

Being a competitive game as well, Down To One has relied on a mixture of Bolt Networking and Anti-Cheat Toolkit to tackle the hard task of stopping cheaters, both assets have made anticheat a breeze.

Finally though, one of the best things for me has been contacting Asset Store authors and reaching out to them to do custom work in our game - the Asset Store is not only a great marketplace, but a great community, and I've had only pleasant experiences working with many modellers from the store to create extra custom models.

So, all in all, thanks for making my game possible at the scale that is is!

13. essimoon2

essimoon2

We use Amplify Color to enhance the look of our levels in our current flagship project Shift Happens. Also used it to get a fast and beautiful color grading for our recent Halloween release.

Amplify Color added quite a bit of atmosphere to our grotto stage and the workflow was pretty nice as well.
    With only a couple of clicks we could save a screenshot of thr game, send it to Photoshop and tweak the look any way we wanted. Another click sent all the fancyness back to Unity and we had the whole look ready to go :)

amplify color color grading3.png

It's really an amazing tool and offers the best artist-driven look development I've seen inside an engine so far. Being able to tweak the look with all the tools in Photoshop saved us a lot of time and really added to the overall quality of the game. I recommend this asset from the bottom of my heart! :D

Since the deadline has been expanded I'm gonna mention another story of a great tool we've been using a lot for this project :D
    The Cinema Suite!

Cinema Suite adds a timeline-based editor to Unity you can use to make all kinds of cutscenes for your game - directly inside of Unity and in real time. About half a year ago we won a licence for this tool in a Unity community challenge and ever since learned to love this tool! We created a bunch of trailers and are currently in the process of directing a more advanced cutscene with Cinema Suite. So far it never disappointed us. The devs once asked us to do a little MakingOf of our trailer and it shows a bit of the workflow with Cinema Suite. Hope it gives some impression of what can be achieved with Cinema Suite.

You can access most parameters of any script, animation, game object or other component that's inside you scene and animate it. Our workflow, efficiency and potential of what we can do increased dramatically since we use Cinema Suite. It's definitely the tool of choice for us and worth every cent :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    ikazrima likes this.
  14. isabelle

isabelle

Unity Technologies

Thank you all for your great #madewithAssetStore stories. This was really inspiring to read all of those in the past week.
    The sweepstakes is now officially closed. We will choose the winners tomorrow and contact the winners personally (via forum conversation or email if the forum conversation is disabled).

15. AlexSledge

AlexSledge

While there are many assets out there which have impressed me, the one I wish to highlight today is DunGen.

I was initially looking for an asset to assist with the procedural generation of dungeons, not that I intended to make a dungeon crawler in the traditional "Diablo-esque" sense, but I was looking for a solution which would build a procedural environment, from hand crafted pieces, to provide a highly detailed environment without having to design systems to procedurally place everything down to an empty can or a street sign to give the world that final "real place" feel.

There are certainly a nice handful of assets for generating "proedural dungeons", but most are primarily looking at old school 2D style dungeons, and even excellent solutions such as Daedalus were really solving a different problem, in a different way.

Then I came across DunGen, and with it's ability to use templates, segregated into themes, specialty one off tiles, and a connecting system allowing for a large amount of control via the categrorization of the "doorways" - allowing for fancy things like having only sewer -ready pieces connecting to "sewer" doorways, alley "doorways" for connecting alleys, and so on. Not only did the system exceed my expectations, it's spawned a variety of other projects that became quite a lot more interesting thanks to the availability of DunGen.

Exteriors, Interiors, it doesn't matter, as you create the tiles, control the fit, and assign the types of connecting doorways, the possibilities became quite extensive. With SECTR VIS integration out of the box, some recently added Playmaker integration for folks using that tool, and some work towards SECTR portal culling in the latest beta, I'm certainly happy with the amount of attention Aegon is able to keep on this asset.

So now instead of one game idea, I'm back to shaking down a half dozen. Good times :)

16. DeadLizard

DeadLizard

All my life I have gotten good grades in school, especially in math and science... yet I was bored with all of my classes and became borderline depressed. I joined my school's robotic's team and volunteered for the job of programmer. Great, now I just had to learn to program (No simple task mind you). I remember the first time I successfully used a "while" loop, I was filled with joy. That summer I took a class in C# program and discovered Unity. Unity added even further purpose to my programming, and more importantly to my learning. English class was a place in which I could draft stories for a new game and I could draw inspiration from History. And math, math had already been my favorite subject and that feeling was only multiplied. I remember learning about sin waves in class and going home to use that in Unity. Game design has also taught me other skills that I have not had the chance to learn through school, such as 3D modelling and animation. The asset store has allowed me to give my games a boost when I would rather spent time on programming than modeling or vice versa. I am sad to say that I do not have any projects to link you to as I have not yet published a completed game. I am currently working on a game that I wish to publish sometime in the next few years. If I were to win 50$ I would spent it on Poly-World so that I could keep my terrain consistent with the art style of my current game.

Thanks for reading and I am sorry if my English is not great
    -Drew

17. JoRouss

JoRouss

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiit for me!!! :O I thought we had until nov. 13th :(

Anyways, here is my story :p

I studied computer programming for 4 years. At that time I worked on my first game, a flight simulator. This XNA project made me fall in love with game development. I didn't know unity back then. So let me tell you, as a newbie programmer, our graphics were horrible. I'll let you judge :p

Then, one of my favorite teachers had the good idea to explore and to introduce Unity to us. I already loved computer programming.... This tool was just magic.

Unfortunately, I had 2 job experiences that made me question myself about what I wanted to do in my future. What I loved is working on my own projects. Not working for someone else. To make it short, I dropped university and went study to become a police officer.

As I was studying in this new domain, for 2 years, I was still spending most of my time programming. I didn't really know what kind of game I was doing until a year ago. This project was starting to get big. I'm talking about the very first game I'm planning to commercialize, Kepler Defense.

I questioned myself again.... And finally dropped from school again. For good this time :p

I'm currently in the process of creating my own company. Things are going well! :D

All this would not be possible if the asset store wouldn't exist. For me and for small Indie studios, it's a must!

It's full of professional tools that I couldn't make myself unless I had a few employees working full time on it.

Look at how perfect those explosions are..

There is NO WAY I would have done that without the asset store...

All the Image Effects, Shaders and everything else I don't know how to make...

I bought assets I don't even had the time to play with yet. It's so full of awesome resources. The game wouldn't be attractive if it had the graphics from my flight simulator :p

I have 3 recommendations for you programmers out there.

Advanced Tools Mega Pack
    Have you ever found a 3D model you loved on the asset store, but you needed to reduce its poly count? There's a tool for that. You don't know how to make 3 level of details for that mesh? There's a tool for that. You want to fracture it in multiple pieces and make it explode? There's also a tool for that.
    When you don't know about modeling, it's a must... I know it's not free, but it's worth it!

SSAO Pro &&
    SE Natural Bloom

These are a must have for realistic scenes. Simply attach them to your camera and say wow. Check them out.

Unity asset store is powering my dreams. Every single day I look for the discounted asset of the day!

My next buy is definitly Unistorm. I think this will add a BIG plus to my game :) It looks so nice. I could NEVER achieve something like that without the asset store... It's fantastic.

Please keep developing nice assets. Thank you for sharing at low cost!

Jonathan

18. Teila

Teila

Aww, I thought we had until the 13th too. I have been preparing my post. How sad that you had to close it early. :(

19. Teila

Teila

S4G4N likes this.
  20. Thavron

Thavron

It's great to see the Asset Store getting better and better.
    And it's also great to be a part of it since more than two years :)

21. movra

movra

???

???

Anyway, the Asset Store has made it possible to funnel my Steam backlog problem into a Unity Asset backlog problem :p

S4G4N likes this.
  22. Teila

Teila

Even though “officially closed” since the date for the contest goes until the 13th, I am going to post this and hope that I am considered for the contest.

The Unity asset store is the reason our game exists and the reason we ultimately chose Unity for our project. Originally, we were using another engine but when we realized how difficult it would be for our small team to reach our goal without some help, we started looking at Unity.

From day one we realized the benefits of the Asset Store.

Our team consists of my husband, my three kids and me, along with a few other friends that have joined us to help with the community and testing.

The asset store provided us with much needed resources and art assets to really start seeing our game come to life. In many ways, the asset store, along with Unity, changed our lives.

My two teen daughters are talented artists and by studying some of the models and artwork available on the asset store, they have improved their skills. This weekend, they will both participate in their first art show and the confidence they gained by making concept art and 3d art have helped them immeasurably.

One of my son’s jobs was to take the scripting and editor assets we purchased and integrate them, study them, see what we could use. He learned a great deal from working with some amazing assets and some incredible developers. Not only did his coding improve, but his conversations with a variety of developers helped him learn more and improve his communication skills. He is now a Junior in college studying Computer Science. I am not sure he would be there if not for the Asset Store.

As for me, I spend a lot of time taking assets and making them our own, such as retexturing models or adding new parts to the models/sets. I have learned to model in Maya, at my age! This is so remarkable and I don’t know how to thank all the wonderful asset developers, some who have encouraged me, helped me, given me advice and gave me confidence to actually show off my work. These guys and gals have helped me discover new aspects about myself, things I thought I could never do.

My husband, the network guy, the UMA guy, and the provider of the money we spend on the asset store is not a gamer at all. But he has always loved to code, even back in the Fortran days when he would take time from his engineering classes and code something on his dinosaur computer. Today he is building our servers, working with some great networking assets from the store as well as getting UMA ready for our game, a challenging but necessary job. The UMA guys have been fabulous at giving advice and working with us when we have issues.

So yeah, the asset store builds games. It helps us to do a decent job with a small team. But it also develops minds, and confidence, and creates new possibilities for each of us. How many of would be this far without it?

My favorite memory so far in our game development is when a woman who wrote some lore for our game contacted me about a video I made. It was the swamp in her lore, carefully crafted using her descriptions and with the help of various asset store models, terrain tools, image effects, and textures. She commented that it was amazing to see her words come to life.

Best compliment ever. Thank you.

Thought I would add a few of my favorite screenshots and the assets that have helped so much.

jonfinlay and S4G4N like this.
  23. Yukichu

Yukichu

Happy Birthday Asset Store!

I have bought quite a bit from the asset store, way too much. I sometimes buy for things I might need, some for what I need now, and some for 'well, it's on sale so why not.' I've been burned a few times (NJG Ultimate Input I'm looking at you, which was buggy then NGUI implemented all their functionality and I was left in the dust with a bill), I've been pleasantly surprised (at the time, NGUI was amazing, 2D toolkit, DMMap Minimap System, etc.) and overall it's been a brilliant experience. The ability to license / use something as a learning tool / aid, a model for your game, music, artwork, extended console functionality, whatever else... is just great. If I should ever publish my game I've been working on for what seems forever, parts of it could not have been done without the Asset Store.

Thanks. It's an awesome part of Unity.

S4G4N likes this.
  24. movra

movra

Oh well, what the heck. Here's a personal anecdote.

Let's go back a few months, when I participated in a game jam where the prize was getting your game streamed by Pewdiepie, Markiplier and Jacksepticeye.

But let's go back just a few days before the game jam. I saw this video with Shia LaBeouf, #INTRODUCTIONS.

But one line stood out from that project. "Questions of limitations dissolve into the blur". It reminded me of Caspar David Friedrich's Wanderer above the Sea of Fog which conveys a perhaps contradictory message, one of Kantian self-reflection, suggesting at once mastery over a landscape and the insignificance of the individual within it. Something I feel also applies to the humbling experience that is game development.

But let's go back a few days before I got inspired by #INTRODUCTIONS, when I was at Unite in Amsterdam. It was there that I met some Asset Store developers in person, notably Peter and Tom. There was a funny coincidence.

But to understand that coincidence we have to go back a few weeks. In the Horizon[On] forum thread there was a competition going on that involved a game where you had to pop as many balloons as possible within a short period of time. After seeing some questionable scores and noticing the lack of any verification methods I decided to copy one of the screenshots and adding a few zeroes and ones for a totally impossible score. Anyway, Horizon[On] is Peter's asset so it was a funny awkward moment when I met him at his Unite booth. "Oh, so you're the troll!" And then we had pizza.

But things finally come full circle. I was able to translate the vision in my head into a game jam prototype with several Unity Assets. I used Fungus for the subtitles and events, HipFilters for the color grading and Horizon[On] for the landscape. The result is shown below. Suffice to say that I wouldn't be able to create it without those assets.

seendistance.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  25. dbordzo

dbordzo

What time this promotion will end? GMT-0 please : ) And happy birthday Unity :)

26. caitlyn

caitlyn

Sorry about the mixup, everybody, we will continue to run the contest until the 13th. GMT-0, that's right.

movra, S4G4N and Teila like this.
  27. dbordzo

dbordzo

But we can buy things on friday 13th, till 24:00?

28. Teila

Teila

@caitlyn, Thank you! :)

I figured it was a mix up when I realize that there were two of you. Things happen. :)

Only if they are "horror" related assets. ;)

29. arkhament

arkhament

@caitlyn please do not forget my email.. about my purchased assets that have disappeared from my account.. pleaseee...

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Environments created for my RPG using my InfiniGRASS & Sky Master 3.0 tools, all right inside Unity. These are mostly from the first game area (Riverlands, Deep forest near hero house, Lake before the Secret Passage)

I started working on my RPG game in 2010, first using XNA and then moved to Unity. I have not looked back since, as this was my first entry to an extremely easy to use and powerful environment. The asset store has been of great help as well and 1.5 years ago i also started to create asset store packs based on ideas and systems i had created for my game, to both fund the game further and to offer my tools to the community.

This also served as a means to perfect myself and refine my systems, even create systems that i never though would have been possible initially, like InfiniGRASS and the latest Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0, both creating amazing visuals, next gen grasses and true volume clouds with stunning performance.

Unity can be a real beast in performance and provide some of the best next gen visuals when the right methods are used and this is something i learned while making my assets and I would have probably not realized if i had not been involved into the store.

I am a one man team working hard to constantly expand my assets with the eventual goal to be able to procedually create a whole world, right inside Unity with next generation visuals and ultimate performance.

My one major request for a store feature, would be a way to know if an asset would have a chance to be on a sale. For example if an asset has not been on a sale yet, would be great to know if it is due to the asset quality, or the submission was lost in the way or volume of other assets and whether it should be resubmited for a sale or not. Also a tier system for bigger assets where a huge amount of time and effort has gone into to be on a separate sale with a bigger chance would be great as well.

This would be a great addition so publishers can estimate return of the invested time and effort better.

My packs will always be at an ever growing state as i refine and develop more features for use in my game as well. I plan to create at least 3 more packs, starting with PANDORA, a gameplay oriented system, for mudular gameplay design with physics, special FX, pattern AI, liquids and time control, plus a big ready to use library of gameplay elements and mini games.

A big thanks to the Unity team for the amazing tool and to the store for the opportunity to create and provide tools for the community in a streamlined way and to all the users that have supported me throughout all the hard work and i hope to be able to constantly improve and give back to the amazing Unity community.

garrido86, jonfinlay and S4G4N like this.
  31. AaronC

AaronC

Awesome!

The asset store totally helped me get where I wanted to be by giving me access to Mixamo Fuse on sale. Getting consistent quality characters for our project with quality blendshapes enabled us to use facial animation and more to the point facial mocap.

Getting multiple game characters talking is actually a bit of a technical feat and so thanks for offering us these sorts of shortcuts courtesy of the Asset Store :)

32. tresordif

tresordif

Awesome! Hope I'm still in time for the sweepstakes. I splurged a bit and picked up a bunch of the assets from the sale, and I'm already craving more.

My Asset Store love story goes hand in hand with my first game release. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd ever be able to make a full game by myself. I'd given up about a decade ago. but after hearing about Unity and giving it a try I knew immediately that I'd finally found something that would make it possible to make the games I always wanted to make.

Unity at its core is already so powerful that you can do just about anything with it given the time. The Asset Store has really been the topping on the cake though. I was struggling with iOS GameCenter and Google Play integration for my first game, and decided to take the chance and try out Stan's Assets from the Asset Store since the reviews were all so positive. From then on I was completely sold on the Asset Store, since it saved me from countless hours of frustration and confusion. With GameCenter and Google Play integrated, I was finally able to release my game Resonance Unlimited on iOS and Android about two months ago. What's more, Apple contacted me out of the blue and said that they liked my game enough to feature it on the App Store! I never would have thought something like that would ever happen, but they featured it in Canada and the UK, and it managed to squeak it's way to the top of the paid music games charts for a while. =D

You can check out my game Resonance Unlimited here!

Now I'm working on my second game, and I've gone all out with the Asset Store to build an even better game! Even with this sale, at just $24 I had to give Chronos a try. Now it's already incorporated into my next game!

I'm honestly blown away by how useful the Asset Store is. What surprises me the most is that all of the assets I've purchased so far have their source code included! I can't think of another store that does that! Usually people just seal up their methods in a closed library and call it a day, but with Unity it's all there. I've learned so much from it already, and it makes it incredibly easy to modify things if you want to use them differently. Pretty much every developer I've contacted has also been extremely helpful. It's impressive that the Unity community has so many developers who genuinely want to help each other to make the best possible games. With all the extra tools and assets I have at my disposal this time around, I'm really looking forward to see how far I can push the limits with my second game.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of the Asset Store in the future. =D

S4G4N likes this.
  33. idurvesh

idurvesh

Wow ,Congratulations guys for our asset store's fifth anniversary.I had my first anniversary with unity this June.Its been great experience.

We started working on our first Unity based game from last June, our project contains high need of river,we were looking for great river water solution and "Flow" asset from asset store give us exactly what we were looking for.Then we needed awesome effects for our game since I am programmer and like many of our programmer species I too sucks as hell at graphics ,since I am only unity developer on my team I have to do it anyway .Unity asset store's "Cartoon FX" series , Camlot's FX and xFfect came to rescue me.

Guess what almost all the assets come up with pre made drag and drop prefabs and source code.Its like complete neat organized documented project.

Oh hey,as you know mobile devices really sucks at high load so high optimization needed for us and guess what? Asset store has it for you.With "Mesh Baker" asset I was able to optimize all assets drastically and FPS of game on low end device increased to 40 FPS from 2.

Our game is still in development and set to get publish it on 29th December 2015.

Do you have small team? you have large team? you are indie? you are big studios? are you game developer? then yes you will necessarily required asset store no matter what.

In conclusion I would like to quote from Unite "You guys are fortunate enough to be in Unity era"

S4G4N likes this.
  34. isabelle

isabelle

Unity Technologies

As there was a typo in Caitlyn's initial post (our bad), we will leave the contest open until the 13th (despite the Terms and Conditions stating the 10th). Our bad, so please keep posting, all entries until November 13th, 3pm CET will be considered.

S4G4N and idurvesh like this.
  35. essimoon2

essimoon2

Nice! This gave me time to add another story to my recent post. Glad I could honor two of the most essential tools for us here. Also good luck to everyone else. Didn't manage to read all the entries, yet but there really are a bunch of interesting tools here that look like they're worth a purchase. Hope to see even more til tomorrow :D

36. Teila

Teila

Oh, that makes perfect sense! Thank you for opening the contest again. I will learn not to procrastinate. :) An evil cold virus zapped my creativity so thought waiting was wise. :)

37. pcg

pcg

Happy birthday asset store and thanks for taking all my money.
    I'm afraid I'm addicted to you!

But without you I would never of completed 3 games (Jetpack Something, Antiques Affair and Fit-It) with awesome assets like the pre new gui NGUI, Shader Forge, MK4 environments, TextMesh Pro (which I can't live without), Jean Moreno particle effect packages, Gamestrap UI, Mesh Master and Fracture and Destruction.
    All the above were used to complete my 3 projects along with a number of other assets from the store.

And for my next project I'm using VespaWarroirs Tiny Dungeon, Particle Playground, countless mixamo animations some as of yet not purchased dungeon generator, characters and no doubt many other assets which either fill in for my lack of art ability or just save me so much time and allow me to create my game so much quicker.

Then there are the purchases I just enjoy playing around with like probuilder, uFps, BuildR, Final IK and many others.

Keep em coming :)

38. Dariyo

Dariyo

Wow, has it been 5 years already?

I just remembered that I started using Unity around the time the asset store was released and back then I thought It was an awesome idea and perfect for me as a programmer to get 3d models.

About 2 years ago I created a game for my portfolio so I can use it to apply for an internship in the game industry. It was my first project where I really utilized the asset store to get 3D models and tools, so that it won't be a totally boring looking game.

I used assets from many different publishers such as the environment from xiaolianhuastudio, NGUI from Tasharen Entertainment, Character assets from 3dfoin and also the AI engine RAIN from Rival Theory.
    It took me only a month to create that prototype using those assets which shows how quickly you can prototype something using the asset store, without having to use only boring prototype boxes. The end result is something that is fun to play and at least a bit pleasant to look at.

With that prototype I was also able to get an Internship in the game industry, which reassured me that I really want to work on games.

Now I am currently working on my own prototype that would not be possible without the asset store, because it lets me quickly develop a prototype but still use great looking assets. Sadly I do not have any Screenshots or Videos of that one yet.

I really hope the asset store will expand even more and attract more and more publishers, so lets hope for another great 5 years! :)

39. David_P

David_P

Happy Birthday Asset Store and congratulation to the team and everyone who contributed to the assets !

As a game programmer I always liked to “reinvent the wheel”, and I was totally unable to do any progress on my games as I was constantly rewriting my "game engine" or refactoring my code. After discovering Unity 3D around 5 years ago, I was finally able to fully concentrate myself on the game design and gameplay programming.

I used it for work related advergames projects for all these years, but when trying to work on my personal projects, I found myself stuck by the terrible quality of my artistic skills... and then came the Asset Store !

I started to buy stuff during the sales, and started to grow a nice collections of assets for actual or future projects and prototypes. But I was still suffering from the "let's start another prototype and never finish anything" game developer syndrome. So I joined forces with a long time classmate to create "Alpagames", a small team aiming to release some finished games !

We decided to crawl into our Asset Store Libraries to create as quickly as possible our first released game : Cemetery Rush. It was the perfect occasion for us to put in use the great assets that have been sleeping in our Asset Store's Library !

With Halloween approaching, we thought that Bitgem's Low Poly Micro Monster Pack would be a perfect fit for a Halloween themed game, and we started to design our gameplay around that. The player would have to trap these monsters into cages, while avoiding putting some of them together at the same time. To add a bit of "lore" to our game Bitgem's Micro Wizard Morgan Fizban would be a perfect master for these monsters !

For our scenery, we fell in love with 3D Sauce's Spooky Cemetery Bundle and its beautiful hand painted textures ! With some lighting adjustments the monsters would perfectly blend into the scenery ! A nice skybox from rpgwhitelock's AllSky 2, was perfect to complete our menu's scene.

But what's a game without music and sounds, again we found a perfect match in the Asset Store with Evil Mind Ent.'s Halloween Audio Kit. It has everything we needed, musics and plenty of sound effects.

It wasn't possible to have a cemetery without mist, neither monsters without some kind of magical effects ... Jean Moreno's Cartoon FX Pack 2 and Unluck Software FX Megapack contained more than enough nice cartoon particle effects for our needs !

With the help of these great assets, we had a playable and great looking prototype in a week or two and were able to start playtests with our friends. The feedback was great and decided to go on with our small game :)

As we needed to do some fine tuning in our game variables, it seemed that Litteratus LLC's G2U (ex googleFu) would allow us to tune quickly these parameters just editing values in a google spreadsheet.

We worked mostly on having a playable prototype without worrying to much about the performance. We knew that we had quite a lot of objects in our scenery and we spawned monsters continuously. Path-o-Logical Game's Pool Manager provided a very quick way to optimize monster spawning while Ian Deane's MeshBaker reduced our drawcall count drastically, combining static meshes and textures into a single drawcall !

Our users reported having some difficulties to distinguish some monsters from others. We thought about creating a custom shader to add a colored outline to our monsters... that seemed a perfect job for Joachim Holmér's ShaderForge.

During the whole development we were helped by other great plugins like Lost Polygon's uIntelliSense providing more information about Unity's APIs in Visual Studio or Flying Whale's xARM letting us review our game look on a every possible ratio, dpi and resolution.

Thank to these wonderful assets from Unity's Asset Store, we (two programmers without any artistic skills) were able to publish our first game on the 3 main mobile platforms after working some evenings for a couple of months on our free time.

We are now proud to have released our first small mobile games this Halloween, "Cemetery Rush", on IOS, Android and Windows Phones.

idurvesh likes this.
  40. superwendel

superwendel

Game development started for me at an early age. I've tinkered around with many engines and frameworks all while building dozens of games of questionable quality. I come from an artist background with a strong interest in the technical side as a means to tell the stories that I want to tell, to build the worlds that need to function for my characters to live in. However I'm only one person and I've always been more inclined to focus on the parts that I see and what I hope other future players too will experience.

That's where the Asset Store comes in for me. Through the Asset Store and Unity, this is the first time I've ever been able to start putting together the game that I've always wanted to make. The Asset Store enables me to access high quality packages at an affordable indie price. These packages offer me support that I wouldn't otherwise have access to. These packages offer me inspiration because they often offer features or a style that I might not have considered before, which is incredibly important when working alone. I can try and test out entire features out with what usually amounts to a few mouse clicks instead of hours.

Without the Asset Store, my game would not be what it is. Happy Birthday Asset Store, I'm truly happy we get to work and grow together.

Edit: Adding Screenshots

PhoenixRising1 and S_Darkwell like this.
  41. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

A great art style and dinos on top of that? Win. :)

42. superwendel

superwendel

Thank you for the kind words. :)

43. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

--Post removed.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  44. Malicjusz

Malicjusz

@caitlyn When will be the voucher winners announced?

45. idurvesh

idurvesh

I don't remember exactly , but I read on rules something like 7-10 days latr

Malicjusz likes this.
  46. isabelle

isabelle

Unity Technologies

I am sending them this week! Already distributed most of them :) A few more to come the winners' way, watch our forum inbox...

Stephen_O, idurvesh, David_P and 2 others like this.
  47. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

WOW! Thanks for the voucher! Much appreciated!!

Teila likes this.
  48. JoRouss

JoRouss

Thank you very much! That 50$ is gonna help :D

49. Crazydadz

Crazydadz

50. Teila

Teila

Thanks from me too! Now I just have to decide what to spend it on. :) I do love to shop.

:cool: