Search Unity

Asset Store approval slower recently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisSch, Dec 15, 2014.

1. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

I've worked for more than five years as a senior 3d artist. And from your screenshots i can tell i would never buy your assets. Im sorry, but as superpig said: the models are all faceted. Check your hard/soft edges/normals. This alone tells me the guy who made those assets does not have a profound background in modelling even the basics are lacking. The assets are bad presented, i want to see the wireframes/polycount also UV/texture layout. Make some cool unique textures. Do some nice specular texturing aswell. The Christmas pack for me are just some basic primitives. Make it more interesting. Nice silhouettes are important! Apply some squash and stretch. I'm sorry if i sound to harsh but i see so many assets that are lacking the same. I'm sure if you consider those points you'll be accepted in the asset store ;) apparently unity wants to push the level of quality of the asset store, which is good.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm in no way trying to advertise my Asset on here, however, I just wanted to show this as an example of how many draw calls mine gets with one of the settings so that the other guy can see how much you can truly do with just one draw call.
    (I've only got two draw calls, because of the fact I didn't feel like UV-Unwrapping anything lol.
    So i gave the grass and the soil under it two different materials.)
    @ChrisSch

Attached Files:

3. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yes, well saying you did not bother to atlas anything cause you did not feel like it is one thing but for the draw calls you are only showing one block and one type? so not sure what are you trying to prove here compared to ChrisSch...

4. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

@superpig @propeller Thanks! While I don't think the lack of texture atlases was the reason they got declined, the other reasons could have been part of it. But I agree, we'll try to work with texture atlases from now on. Getting an asset approved is no use if people won't buy it because its not using a texture atlas.

Does anyone know an easy way to make all the existing textures into an atlas so I fix this? Or is the only way manually stitching them together, then rearranging all the UV maps to fit the new texture coordinates, and assigning the new material to each of them?

@N1warhead Thats some nice looking dirt and grass. :)

EDIT: Ultimate Christmas Pack Bundle has been approved. Which is all of the above packs in a bundle, including the declined ones.

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

What do you mean?

I was only just trying to show how much you can truly do with with a single draw call (I had already had this image premade for something) that's why I just used it.

So that he knows that you can do a lot within a single draw call.
    I wasn't trying to show what my Shaders could do, just that you can get a lot of detail into a single draw call if you know how to do it properly.

@ChrisSch - Thanks buddy.

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well I guess you did not read superpig's post completely or understand the problem. He said each present had own texture and material so one draw call per present type and your screenshot has the same flaw, or even worse 2 draw calls per block type based on what you said and showed.

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Ohhh didn't realize lol.

Yeah I just didn't understand the problem, sorry.